Need advice on trans issue failure. Truck at dealership for unknow amount of time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rabel376

Reaction score
I will try to keep this short and to the point and elaborate more if needed. Owner of a 2017 Raptor/ 802A/ with 51K currently. I bought the truck from a private dealership at 38K. During ownershipi the truck has been to the same dealership 4 times for transmission related issues.
1st- Harsh shifting and TSB was performed to recalibrate the trans.
2nd- Harsh shifting AGAIN. Valve body was replaced due to sticking and was told a re-learn procedure was performed.
3rd- Slamming into gear after auto/ start would reengage. Faulting Stop/ Start motor and it was replaced.
4th- Currently at the dealership due to harsh Park to Drive/ Harsh downshift 4-3/ Slipping before shifting and an over "feel" of loss of power.

Truck has been a week at the dealership with no specific info on problem. I stopped by yesterday and spoke with the Service Advisor who stated "Trans is shot. I dont know exactly what went wrong but it will need a total over-hall. Lots of parts on order and some are backordered. We don't know when we will get all the parts in. Could be next month....maybe." When I asked about a warranty with a complete over-hall I was advised that there would not be a warranty or extended warranty. Meaning that on this complete "over-hall" I get the remaining 9K on the factory powertrain.

I have read a few forums with a guy having a similar issue. I followed his steps with calling the 800-392-FORD and spoke to a rep who stated that they would contact the dealership. That was this morning and no contact as of yet. I myself am the GM of a dealership that modifies vans to be wheelchair accessible. I COMPLETELY understand parts being on backorder, not avail, etc. But I also know that I can reach out to manufacturers and get a "work around" in some cases to get a replacement unit instead of waiting weeks on parts. I cannot accept a transmission needing a complete rebuild and the "maybe next month" being a ETA.

So Im trying to take my personal feelings out of this and look for advise from the group. So guys/ and ladies if your in here.......and suggestions on how to get a replacement trans instead of an unknown ETA for parts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Is this a Ford Stealership / Ford certified tech doing the work?

You can ask them to check other stealerhsip inventory as well as a workaround but some are quite resistant to this. That said, when the 10R80 breaks a hard part, yeah... wait times can be pretty bad.

That’s IF you get a full unit, some here have been put into a ‘forced tear down’ to look for bad parts and there have been some pretty spectacular delays for what could have been handled differently and less expensive if they’d just replaced the unit in the first place.

Good luck with the repair.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Covid/Gov. Assistance has put a lot of things on backorder with no definite ETA. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they told you next month, maybe. I'd call weekly for updates but outside of that, gonna have to wait like the rest of us.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a rebuilt transmission done at a FORD dealership, we would all like "crate" parts from Ford, but reality is if they didn't find metal shavings in the transmission, then rebuilding it should be okay. I have heard of members waiting up to 3 months for some parts, if you have to wait a month and can be given a loaner, you should be grateful. This isn't the norm and I wouldn't be happy about it either, but, sometimes there isn't much that can be done. Maybe @FordTechOne knows a way around the parts scenario.

Bob Blessing

Reaction score
I have a 2017 and just had my Transmission replaced at Ford in Scottsboro, Al. at the Ford Dealership. I have 62,000 miles on Truck and it was covered under my Extended Warranty. They also found a leak in my Radiator and Water Pump. They replaced those as well under Warranty. It was in Shop for 1 1/2 Months waiting on parts. But, Dealer did give us a Loaner Vehicle.

Wife picked it up yesterday and went about 10 miles before returning to Dealership with Truck. She said it Raptor was jerking around 72 mph. They have it back in Shop and we have Loaner Car back. Now, we have to find out what the problem is. Not sure if it has anything to do with Trans or not.

OP
OP
Rabel376

Rabel376

Reaction score
*Update*. So as I mentioned the issues were harsh downshifting (already had the TSB program update performed), harsh engagement from Park to drive, what felt like a miss or slipping during medium acceleration and just an overall feeling like loss of power.
Called last Thursday/Fri and no contact at dealership here in Gallatin, TN. Drove there in person on Monday and spoke with service advisor who stated “parts on order, some on back order, ETA next month…maybe”.
Called Ford Care number to start a claim on Tuesday. Spoke to a guy there and gave my number & email to contact me. On Wednesday there was no contact so I called back. Different rep advised that nothing had been started/ no claim, no record. I started one with her and she put me on hold to contact the dealership. Came back 5 mins later and told me the dealership told her they haven’t started diagnosis yet and no parts have been ordered. I attempted to contact the dealership that day with no success.
Today, 5/20/21, I called a super cool guy in parts department. Explained my situation and he was able to pull up my work order. Told me to sit down as there was no diagnostic on the ticket or parts on the order. He said that he would personally go to the SM, give her my cell, brief explanation and inform her I want a call back. That was around 9am this morning.
At 4:00 got a text from The dealership service department. Evidently they rushed it in the shop today, got it on a rack and determined the following: Clutches A,B and F. CDF cylinder failure, front support, torque converter, Main Control and trans pump. All parts have been ordered.
I will state that this truck is a pavement queen and never off-roaded. Guess Injust had back luck.
At 5:00 the SM called me back. I told her I’m pissed off that I was lied to about parts being ordered, have no trust in their service Dept, no trust I will be told the truth from this point forward and now my truck is torn down and I am doubting their ability to perform a successful repair from the unprofessionalism I’ve experienced so far. Shockingly, she admitted I was lied to and that the advisor was scared to tell me it hadn’t been looked at yet. That she has nothing but excuses and won’t even make up a reason why. Said she would personally contact me every other day with updates and if they don’t replace the trans (as she has escalated it” she will offer a 2 yr/ unlimited mile warranty on the trans through some sort of loophole. All this sounds good if it can happen and at this point with the truck torn down I have no choice but to wait and see.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
*Update*. So as I mentioned the issues were harsh downshifting (already had the TSB program update performed), harsh engagement from Park to drive, what felt like a miss or slipping during medium acceleration and just an overall feeling like loss of power.
Called last Thursday/Fri and no contact at dealership here in Gallatin, TN. Drove there in person on Monday and spoke with service advisor who stated “parts on order, some on back order, ETA next month…maybe”.
Called Ford Care number to start a claim on Tuesday. Spoke to a guy there and gave my number & email to contact me. On Wednesday there was no contact so I called back. Different rep advised that nothing had been started/ no claim, no record. I started one with her and she put me on hold to contact the dealership. Came back 5 mins later and told me the dealership told her they haven’t started diagnosis yet and no parts have been ordered. I attempted to contact the dealership that day with no success.
Today, 5/20/21, I called a super cool guy in parts department. Explained my situation and he was able to pull up my work order. Told me to sit down as there was no diagnostic on the ticket or parts on the order. He said that he would personally go to the SM, give her my cell, brief explanation and inform her I want a call back. That was around 9am this morning.
At 4:00 got a text from The dealership service department. Evidently they rushed it in the shop today, got it on a rack and determined the following: Clutches A,B and F. CDF cylinder failure, front support, torque converter, Main Control and trans pump. All parts have been ordered.
I will state that this truck is a pavement queen and never off-roaded. Guess Injust had back luck.
At 5:00 the SM called me back. I told her I’m pissed off that I was lied to about parts being ordered, have no trust in their service Dept, no trust I will be told the truth from this point forward and now my truck is torn down and I am doubting their ability to perform a successful repair from the unprofessionalism I’ve experienced so far. Shockingly, she admitted I was lied to and that the advisor was scared to tell me it hadn’t been looked at yet. That she has nothing but excuses and won’t even make up a reason why. Said she would personally contact me every other day with updates and if they don’t replace the trans (as she has escalated it” she will offer a 2 yr/ unlimited mile warranty on the trans through some sort of loophole. All this sounds good if it can happen and at this point with the truck torn down I have no choice but to wait and see.
Good grief! What was the service writer's endgame? lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good grief! What was the service writer's endgame? lol
I'm starting to think that if you don't enjoy lying to people, you won't be a successful service advisor. I've seen lots of lying for no reason and no gain from it, it seems like it was just for entertainment. I can picture them in the break room, trying to top each other's story ...

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Sounds like they hurried up and got it torn down before you could take it to another dealer. Hopefully they'll continue to be motivated. Good luck and keep us posted.