My turbo is also broken - 3000 km

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My raptor also broke down on me on the highway.

I was pretty hard on it on the on-ramp 80-90% throttle, then set cruise control to ~120km and was cruising along. After a bit, i started hearing a whistling noise from the engine bay. I stopped cruise, and played with pedal input my self, and any pedal input more than 5% or so would cause the whistling.

I pulled up the raptor info screen, and put the boost meter on the screen. When I let go of the pedal, and it went into vacuum, the truck was fine, but when transitioning from vacuum to boost, it would not go above 0.1 bar (trucks units are in CANADIAN, NOT AMERICAN lol) and start whistling. I "limped it" back home with very little throttle just so it doesn't try to make boost, and cause more stress.

Next day, drove it to the dealer. Dealer diagnosed it to be the active valve system being stuck and not opening. Told me the parts would be ordered and the truck is safe to drive and come back when the parts are in - HILAROUS, i know.

So, I take it back home and to work for 1 day. I should have not even done this, this is a stupid idea. The truck is impossible to drive. Watch the video I am attaching, and that is what it sounds like, makes no boost and very little power. Then I start to think about it. If the trucks exhaust flow path is restricted, there is very little exhaust flow to spool the turbo. If that hot exhaust cant escape the combustion chamber properly, and gets stuck in the runners because the downstream is blocked, I figure that would cause localized hotspots in the exhaust and this thing would/should be knocking.

Good thing I wasn't hard on it during the 1 day that I drove it, but I took it back to them and said this isn't safe to drive, take it back, and give me a loaner. I wasn't given a loaner because "I didn't buy the extended warranty".

I left it at the dealership, and uber'ed home. I am not dealing with a service manager like that. So, I borrowed my dads powerboost f150 and have been using it in the meantime.

I called ford canada customer service, and asked them for a loaner, and to expedite the muffler assembly parts, so they can do the repair. What do you know, next day I get a phone call from dealer. 1) they made the muffler replacement repair, but the issue is still there 2) now they want to give me a loaner while they try a turbocharger replacement repair.

They ordered a new turbo, and 3-5 business days to come in then they will try that. I told them to do the same thing. Do an oil flush, check for metal in the oil, cut open the oil filter, and check for metal. The other forum member that had a turbo failure looks like he is getting a new engine. I am 90% sure I will also be needing a full engine replacement - long block.

The best part: The loaner company gave me a 2018 limited expedition. I DROVE IT 1 BLOCK. At the intersection from red to green light, I got upto ~20 km/hr then the transmission somehow went into neutral mode. The shifter stayed in drive, but I gave it throttle, and it was in neutral, engine rpm would rise, but I was not moving, and slowing down from 20. I shifted back to park and back to drive. Took that POS back home, and parked it. I am not dealing with that. Back to driving my dads powerboost.

My dealers sales team was incredible - MSRP, very early delivery, and probably the first raptor in Canada. But my dealers service team dropped the ball hard. VERY HARD.

Attachments

• signal-2021-10-08-224020.mp4
    2.7 MB
Last edited:

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that the dealer is finally doing you right. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's been my experience with dealers, some have a great buying experience and a shi tty service dept, others it is the complete opposite. Keep us posted on the repair process and see if you can get pictures from these hacks!

WhiteWidow18

Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that we are sharing some of the same issues. Do be glad you were able to drive it home. Mine went to toast fairly quickly but I watched your video and the sound was the same, just not as loud on my end.

They should definitely be able to get you a new long block, my dealer got that approved without me even having to request it.