My truck in shop and dealer isn't giving me loaner. Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was wrong with your camera? I have a 2020 and I'm having issues with mine. I just got done talking to the service manager at my local Ford asking him if they had my truck for the day if I can get a loaner under my ESP. His reply was " negative, not without diagnosis being done"

when put in reverse the picture would be scrambled sometimes (on the chicks ford edge)
word was it is a widespread common problem. And yes they did do a "diagnosis". took about two hours. then ordering the part was 3 weeks.

no doubt they are using the same backup camera on everything they make

if you have a 2020 should be easy to take it in and have them replace

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just going to say the same thing. My truck has been in for 3 things for warranty. Every time I made an appointment I asked the service advisor if I would have a loaner available. He seemed surprised all 3 times, and twice changed the appointment so I could have a loaner. He was always real nice, but you definitely have to ask ahead of time. Hopefully it stays that way if anything else is needed.

It was very obvious you will not get a loaner at my dealer just by showing up for your appointment. I got spoiled with my Volvo dealer. Anything you drop the car off for, you get a loaner, if they don't have a loaner they have Enterprise bring a rental that they pay for.

Lol my wife had a nearly an 80k XC90 until recently. Getting a loaner turned out to be a song and a dance to arrange. Yes except for the first visit for service we always asked ahead for a loaner. But either they weren’t available or did you buy the car from this dealership yada yada yada. It got better as the advisor knew us a little better and what we expected. But goes to show it’s something of a dealer to dealer thing to some extent. Still I never found Volvo great to work with and deal with except for the time we purchased this car. Needless to say my wife loved the car itself.

Now she has a Lincoln and it does come with all the white glove service. Problem now is, it’s a first year model (Aviator) and it came with bugs, free of charge. Yeah like some bad code. Some have been addressed.

Seems like Ford dealers vary greatly, but my now set expectations of them won’t be able to change to soon. So I know what I’m dealing with. I just go prepared.

Thanks for listing that Ford Loaner agreement @FordTechOne I will keep it future handy if the need arises.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an appointment first thing Monday morning for a new seal on the transfer case. I figured it would be done that day. That isn't complicated

totally agree. I think the thing to think about is what is the issue and can that issue be connected to anything possibly bigger. many times this is a yes. in those cases, have a loaner organized.

murphy's law

D

Deleted member 17706

What was wrong with your camera? I have a 2020 and I'm having issues with mine. I just got done talking to the service manager at my local Ford asking him if they had my truck for the day if I can get a loaner under my ESP. His reply was " negative, not without diagnosis being done"

Both my front and rear cameras went out. The camera supplier for Ford has had problems, so cameras across the Ford line up are going out. My front camera went out within my first week of ownership, then a week or so later, my rear camera went out too. Lol don’t let a dealership **** you around about getting a rental.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer will be reimbursed, whether they pass that on to the staff is dependent on the dealer’s pay plan. The dealer can can bill out what is called a “No Problem Found” (NPF). That means they spent time attempting to verify your concern but they were unsuccessful. This should be accompanied by the NPF worksheet for documentation. See my post above regarding Ford’s loaner policy.

Seems messed up that the tech wouldn't get paid for his time. Talk about an incentive to do unnecessary work ...

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my front and rear cameras went out. The camera supplier for Ford has had problems, so cameras across the Ford line up are going out. My front camera went out within my first week of ownership, then a week or so later, my rear camera went out too. Lol don’t let a dealership **** you around about getting a rental.
This is what mine is doing ....
20200712_114945.jpg

20200712_115038.jpg

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took mine to Larry Miller Ford in Lakewood. Oz is one of the head service writers, came recommended by another buddy here who has a Raptor. They diagnosed my cam phasers (left it overnight so they could cold start it) and ordered the parts. He told me that when the parts come in we'll schedule a time to bring it back, and he'll have a loaner/rental waiting for me for the duration of the repair (about 4 days he said). Sounds like the guys at Phil Long are asshats. I called several dealers around here and no one but Miller was interested in the repair, which is really odd. I know they're balls deep in your repair now, but from now on I'd consider calling Oz at Lakewood. You could take 470 around to 6th ave and it would be a pretty easy drive since you'll skirt the meat of Denver traffic.

Lags

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noble time and frustration saving idea.

Unless you 100% know that you are not going to have to leave your vehicle there (oil change). Make sure a loaner is organized beforehand!!!

my chick just had to wait 3 weeks for a new backup camera to come in (dealership didn't have any ******* backup cameras in stock??!!) for her brand new ford edge.

got a loaner organized no problem.

point is work it out beforehand, otherwise blame yourself.

Man... I love reading your posts! I also truly enjoy @FordTechOne. You both ensure everything written is simple to understand, precise, and straight to the point.

I have owned and do own several Fords, all trucks and 1 current 2020 expedition. Out of the 15-18 Fords I have been a part of purchasing (personal, business, family, friends) used and new, most have all been purchased from 2 local dealerships, with exception of 5 that have been purchased out of state. So, loyalty is respected and appreciated, but great deals and availability are also considered.

With that being said, I only service them at Theodore Robbins Ford in Costa Mesa CA, and have done so for about 20 years. I have worked with 3 service clerks within that time. I get a loaner every time I ask, ahead of time I might add (@txgunsandtrucks).

I bring a dozen donuts and a box of Starbucks coffee by during the holidays, it cost me $25. I’m polite, respectful, appreciate them, and trust they are doing everything they can to help me. I’d rather be occasionally cheated then perpetually suspicious.

I am going to jump out on a limb before my post becomes longer then it should (too late), and say this issue is definitely dealership specific, some care, some don’t. In the OP’s scenario, I feel for him, it sucks, especially when dealerships are so spread out. In SoCal, I have 50 to choose from within an hour. If I didn’t get what I wanted, I’d move to the next. Fortunately I am a lucky man having Theodore Robbins.I am also going to add this, as a professional in Real Estate for many years, and now a new elementary school teacher at 43, I’ve learned that an over the top smile and a positive attitude go a long way.

Good luck with your issue, and go grab them a dozen donuts!

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't think of more worthless ways to spend my time than sitting in a dealer waiting for work to be done.

Probably the number one reason I will always have a loaner worked out beforehand. That way it doesn't matter much to me how long it takes.

Lags. sounds like you are a genuinely nice guy. Good on you. mmm donuts