My 2014 ex-farm truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtaddicted

Reaction score
Hey my name is Ty and I recently acquired this high mileage farm truck as a desert toy, boat hauler. I had a 2018 Duramax 4x4 crew that was plenty powerful if not stiff. 900 foot pounds of torque, a very stiff ride, and a terrible turning radius. It was really overkill for me with nothing over 4000lbs to haul, so I sold that and got this thing. Even with 173000 miles, I love the truck and look forward to getting the farm dust out and using it.

It came with the shell, and some very heavy duty custom steel fab work that will probably be removed and sold. The PO owned rice farms in norcal and drove 30k miles per year overseeing his many Rice farms. It was dealer maintained and runs great. No signs of heavy offroad use...just lots of miles. Im up for the project. I work as an IT systems engineer and wrench on all my toys which include a 94 FJZ80 Land cruiser, dirt bike, and boat.

The PO (orignal owner) did all scheduled maintenance at his Ford dealer so Ive got that. On the of todo:
Pull the custom fab work(rails done)
Baseline all fluids
Rebuild shocks (done)
Water pump (done)
blow out all the dust (massive amount of dust in this thing)
sell the shell, military grade bed rails and rear bumper
run it

I looking forward to contributing to the forum.

onthefarm.JPG
as purchased on the farm...

IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1712.jpeg 120lbs custom fab bed rails

57997840378__FD113FBF-75A8-439A-9593-C80A2D35DB03.JPG
In the garage for fluid inspections...1/2 inch to spare!

Rapt-up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, it is nice to see a vehicle that the service has been kept up on.Sounds like the right truck for your needs. Enjoy it

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, and sounds like you will the truck to its full potential!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
That bed looks too clean to be a "farm truck", he probably just drove around having a look at things and used the tie downs to run some rope through his yeti cooler. Looks clean.

OP
OP
dirtaddicted

dirtaddicted

Reaction score
It is very clean thank you.

My dad and brothers are car guys so they are giving me shit for buying a high mileage ford. My take on it is I’d rather have a high mileage truck that has been well maintained than a low mileage with no records. I’m dealing with a few typical high mileage issues: water pump replacement and a whiny ac compressor and worn shocks. At 25k I’m ok with that, and I don’t find myself missing the durmax but for the 10.1 mpg average.

The thing is wide, so until I get out there and understand what it can do on trails, I won’t rush and sell the fj80. They are very different machines.

OP
OP
dirtaddicted

dirtaddicted

Reaction score
image.jpg

Almost done baselining the rig. Started with coolant and power steering. Checked Transmission and it looks red and full. Drives and shifts perfect so I may leave that alone. Dealer records show 60k miles since it was done along with the transfer case, and both difs. Come to find out the rear did is new and was replaced under warranty for some kind of noise. Once I do those and brake fluid I’m feeling good about this thing. The idle is a tiny bit rough. Is that normal for these 6.2s? Pulled a plug and it looked good. Wheel bearings are great. Shocks are breaking in nicely. It’s towing my boat great. Couldnt be happier with the rig.

I do have to figure out how to fix a pretty good crack in the bottom rear of my bed area. Looks like heavy toolbox broke through...weird break. Any ideas would be appreciated.