MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your garage is a lot cleaner than mine.

lol

I haven't installed it. It's sitting on the shelf in my garage. I posted a photo earlier, but here it is again. It's the one on the right, the left one is for my FocusRS, but it is waiting for the big turbo (seen in photo on shelf under the Raptor FMIC) install. It isn't needed until big turbo...

As for the temps posted, I won't deny that they are seen by those posters because I've seen similar temps as well, depending on the current conditions. That's why I still say an intercooler upgrade isn't needed to maintain performance if you have stock turbos. If you're wanting to go bigger turbo or run the stock turbos above their efficiency range so that you get much higher than oem intake temps, then an upgraded intercooler is definitely recommended.

If the question is can the stock intercooler become heat soaked, the answer is yes, BUT so can an aftermarket FMIC. Will the aftermarket FMIC take longer to reach that max temp? I say yes it will, but if you're asking for max performance from the engine when the conditions have already heat soaked the FMIC, then you're not driving on the street, or you're just street-racing (drags or other slow-speed airflow limited events).

One of my previous ecoboost cars had the 1.6 and I had it cranked to 44 psi MAP, so the little turbo was puking it's guts out (I didn't care, I had a bigger turbo waiting for install), but the car pulled like a freight train. I definitely had an aftermarket FMIC in that car.

All said, I think that the stock intercooler is fine for anything less than 35 psi on absolute manifold pressure (MAP) which is roughly 20 psi boost. If I think something is necessary, I do it regardless. If not, I don't do it until needed.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't installed it. It's sitting on the shelf in my garage. I posted a photo earlier, but here it is again. It's the one on the right, the left one is for my FocusRS, but it is waiting for the big turbo (seen in photo on shelf under the Raptor FMIC) install. It isn't needed until big turbo...

As for the temps posted, I won't deny that they are seen by those posters because I've seen similar temps as well, depending on the current conditions. That's why I still say an intercooler upgrade isn't needed to maintain performance if you have stock turbos. If you're wanting to go bigger turbo or run the stock turbos above their efficiency range so that you get much higher than oem intake temps, then an upgraded intercooler is definitely recommended.

If the question is can the stock intercooler become heat soaked, the answer is yes, BUT so can an aftermarket FMIC. Will the aftermarket FMIC take longer to reach that max temp? I say yes it will, but if you're asking for max performance from the engine when the conditions have already heat soaked the FMIC, then you're not driving on the street, or you're just street-racing (drags or other slow-speed airflow limited events).

One of my previous ecoboost cars had the 1.6 and I had it cranked to 44 psi MAP, so the little turbo was puking it's guts out (I didn't care, I had a bigger turbo waiting for install), but the car pulled like a freight train. I definitely had an aftermarket FMIC in that car.

All said, I think that the stock intercooler is fine for anything less than 35 psi on absolute manifold pressure (MAP) which is roughly 20 psi boost. If I think something is necessary, I do it regardless. If not, I don't do it until needed.

First of all you clearly don't have enough "shit" in your garage. It's way too organized and clean!

I'm seeing max boost of around 18 with my MPT tunes. I don't plan on street racing or really even beating on my truck. I just enjoy feeling the power from time to time. So I think at this point I'm going to scrap the aftrermarket IC idea.

Now maybe I'll spend that money on some lights. :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve run every available tune.

I’ve also run them with an aftermarket intercooler and most I also ran without.

For every day driving.... for blasting around town.... I agree. There is no need for an intercooler that is aftermarket.

Stock isn’t as bad as people say it is

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
….. I think at this point I'm going to scrap the aftrermarket IC idea.

Now maybe I'll spend that money on some lights. :biggrin:

Yep, you'll get WAY more satisfaction and use out of some good lighting than you will from an intercooler.

As for the comment above about the "one dyno pull", my answer is it only matters if you're driving your truck on a dyno. Doesn't mean shit on the street because on the street, you're MOVING at relatively high speeds with full airflow all around the vehicle. I'm a life-long hotrodder, so take what I say with well, whatever you want..., but I speak the truth, no hype whatsoever. :driver:

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes

Even the stock intercooler immediately drops IAT once your up to driving speed, even at 90 degrees outside

I went with a better intercooler core partly because it has better flow dynamics than the stock one. I also figured that over the long haul, it was an easy modification.... especially if I plan to do turbos down the line. It was a little future proofing.

It has in no way made my truck run better with a tune.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to admit my ignorance to much of this. I’d love to learn more about the different displays, and I’m willing to read more about it, but there isn’t much out there on what to look for when reading the various gauges. Is there a good reference anyone can point me to that expains what the various gauges are telling me? “nGauge For Dummies” would be great!

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to admit my ignorance to much of this. I’d love to learn more about the different displays, and I’m willing to read more about it, but there isn’t much out there on what to look for when reading the various gauges. Is there a good reference anyone can point me to that expains what the various gauges are telling me? “nGauge For Dummies” would be great!

If you don't understand the various sensors and parameters (PIDs) of a modern EFI system then go here: https://www.efi101.com/

If you understand the various sensors and parameters (PIDs) of a modern EFI system then go here: https://www.morepowertuning.com/ngauge-tech-support

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't understand the various sensors and parameters (PIDs) of a modern EFI system then go here: https://www.efi101.com/

If you understand the various sensors and parameters (PIDs) of a modern EFI system then go here: https://www.morepowertuning.com/ngauge-tech-support

Thanks, that first link helped me figure out what to search and read up on.

What I’m really wanting to do is play with the gauges and figure out what I should be monitoring. I’ve got IAT1 and IAT2 up to see how the intercooler is working, Knock and Spark to see how these are relating, and Boost and MAP to get a feel for how they relate. Coolant temp is on the dash with FORScan.

I realize there is a lot of inter-relation between these items, but I’m working on understanding what I can.

WV Dual Sport

Reaction score
So basically after reading this thread, the consensus is: Buy the nGage and get the tunes you want. Aftermarket IC is optional,. not really needed for the majority of daily drivers. CAI is rarely mentioned, so I assume it's another "optional" add on. Jury also seems out on the lower temp (170 deg.) thermostat. I assume that plugs, or a re-gap, would be fairly essential with the added boost, but I don't see much reference to that. Some do, some don't, or is this something that almost everyone is doing at the time of Tune?