motor smells hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorsmen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been noticing a real hot smell coming from the engine area, like something is melting. i havent seen anything, anybody else experience this?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
is your truck new? i remember being quite alarmed at the smell of melting plastic, hot coolant, and other residues from production burning off. otherwise this is impossible to answer based on your description if it's normal or not.

they need to invent a Smell button on the forum

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both of my Raptors had a offgassing first couple of months.. Just watch for signs of leaks/puddles under the truck. My 2012 with less than a thousand miles had a bad hose clamp. Repaired under warranty..

-Greg

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the only thing I found was if you drive threw tall grass or what not get under the truck and look by the exhaust it gets wedged in their. that was prier SW

Temple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this too after 6 weeks and 1800 miles. Particularly after running it harder than normal. Just as BIRDMAN and GJMcManus suggested, I attribute it to finishes and/or residues burning off.

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this too after 6 weeks and 1800 miles. Particularly after running it harder than normal. Just as BIRDMAN and GJMcManus suggested, I attribute it to finishes and/or residues burning off.

Mine was still doing it after 12,000 miles, but I think it is finally wearing off.

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had the new smell as well..now at 32000 miles the only smell I have is from my oil change a week ago when the *******'s at the ford house spilt oil on my engine. :Grenade:

And forgot my wiper fluid!!!

Sparvy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck does seem to have a lot of burnoff odors especially when new (mine is @ ~ 500miles) compare to other new vehicles I've had. I like taking a whiff from above the hood vents after parking the truck whan it's hot....nothing like a big sniff of voc's in the morning....LOL.