Modded Gen 2 questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue78

Reaction score
Just got a 2018 Magnetic SCREW a few weeks ago and have the same warranty concerns.

So far, I’ve added a Line-X bed liner, Undercover LX tonneau cover, tinted the front windows, replaced the antenna, added a ProClip iPhone mount and added a 2nd tray in the console.

I have a bed extender I need to install and custom pedals coming from Ultimate Pedals. I’m going to add a high flow air filter (hold the racing sticker!), floorboard emblem inserts and Husky floor mats if my wife and kids come through at Christmas. I’m still researching paint sealing / protection options and prices.

I realize this is almost all cosmetic, but I’m really happy with the changes and confident my extended warranty will perform if my new beast has any issues.

Good luck!

mixmaven

Reaction score
I would start with an AFE intake, the full aluminum kit looks nice. Try that for a few weeks, then if you want a little something something, go with a tune kit. MPT 91 is probably plenty.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would start with an AFE intake, the full aluminum kit looks nice. Try that for a few weeks, then if you want a little something something, go with a tune kit. MPT 91 is probably plenty.

Why do you recommend the AFE CAI before the tune? For sound reasons or for performance?

SnowDawg

Reaction score
Go talk to your service manager at your dealership. Tell them you've got an itch to change things up a little and see what they would be ok with. It at least gives you an idea what you're working with. Also, if it's a financial breaking point to pay out of pocket for something that breaks on a vehicle, don't f* with it, lol.

mixmaven

Reaction score
Why do you recommend the AFE CAI before the tune? For sound reasons or for performance?
You may find the CAI gives it the extra boost/sound you are looking for without messing with your warranty. If you do decide to tune, some tunes might be able to program for it? MPT 91/93 Tune is the same with or without a CAI.
There are enough little questionable engine warranty issues floating around right now - that is the only reason I can think you wouldn’t tune it. That, and having to purchase rear tires every few months. :)

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may find the CAI gives it the extra boost/sound you are looking for without messing with your warranty. If you do decide to tune, some tunes might be able to program for it? MPT 91/93 Tune is the same with or without a CAI.
There are enough little questionable engine warranty issues floating around right now - that is the only reason I can think you wouldn’t tune it. That, and having to purchase rear tires every few months. :)

Since the factory air intake and exhaust on our trucks are not a restriction, there is little value to buying them other than for sound reasons. The MPT tune is the best bang for your buck by far, so save your money to spend on other items.

As with all auto manufactures, they have to prove your tune caused the issue before they can deny a warranty claim.

I have the 93 MPT tune for performance and the SPD TA with a FlowMaster Flow FX replacement muffler for sound reasons. I left the intake alone.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with all auto manufactures, they have to prove your tune caused the issue before they can deny a warranty claim.
I disagree. That is what must be proven in a court to support a denial. If a manufacturer denies a warranty claim the owner must then file a lawsuit against the manufacturer if they want to fight that decision. Once suit is filed the owner must prove that they have a warrantable claim. The burden then shifts to the manufacturer to prove that the modification is what caused or contributed to the failure.

SnowDawg

Reaction score
I feel like people get too worked up over this topic. Sure, if you are tuned and have a relocated intercooler and downpipes and have an engine failure it's a big deal; you're probably on the hook for an engine.
But the things that get warrantied the most, say doors, moonroof, most electronics ect probably are not going to get argued by a dealer if you are tuned. My last truck had a 6 inch lift and my rear yoke seal went out twice and two different dealers replaced it under warranty no issues. Also had a couple random little inside the cab issues taken care of, no issues.
Once again, if you can't afford to replace the part (engine) don't mess with it.