Missing APIM, TERRAIN SELECT UNAVAILABLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GA State

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Raptor 3 weeks ago and at the dealer, I noticed it would not go into different modes. I got the dreaded "Terrain select Unavailable" message. The dealer promised to get it right and I signed my life away. Upon picking my truck up two weeks later "after the deal had been funded by the bank" the dealer conveniently tells me my truck has an aftermarket LinksWell screen in it and that my truck is missing the APIM. I wasn't sure what that meant and I have been searching and searching for information on this. They state that the APIM directly coordinates with the drive modes and without knowing the engineering number there is no way I will be able to recover these functions again. I have emailed 4DTech for their input because I thought maybe I could just order me an APIM and once my VIN is put in it I would then have all the functions. They stated that my Ford dealer needs to go read up on what the APIM does because it carries no weight in whether the modes work or not.

Has anyone had experience with this? I feel like I'm at a dead-end here Ford has basically put me off and says there is nothing they can do.

I apologize if this has been spoken about previously. I feel that my issue is unique in the sense that I'm completely missing the APIM. Whether the APIM is the issue I'm not sure, I have forscan at the house and I've seen some good threads on here about the process of elimination and finding the source. I've lost all faith in my dealer and if I can narrow this down myself I'd love to.

Again I apologize if yall have spoken about this, I appreciate all your help and insight.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your experience. If the dealer promised to make it right, they need to make good on that promise. Aftermarket components do not play well with factory networks, so it's possible that the missing APIM is a factor. However, per the Workshop Manual, the APIM is not directly involved with the Terrain Management System, so I wouldn't settle for their reasoning.

Let us know what DTCs come up with ForScan, that may provide some insight into what exactly is going on.

Here's the network topography for the 4WD and Terrain Management System:

1648079545006.png

jimmyteck

Reaction score
I also have the exact same issue, I have a linkswell unit as well and I get the same error code. I think that may actually be the issue if the same thing happened to you.
I am going to install stock stereo unit back and see if that works. I don't know why that would effect the terrain modes and why ford can't figure it out. I had it at the dealer for over a week and they couldn't figure out anything. If anyone can figure out any codes through FORScan please post them. Thank you

BLJ

Reaction score
I had an aftermarket screen installed (Yulu E10) and loved it but I had lost the modes as well and noticed my suspension felt softer then usuall . I sure liked the sport mode. For anyone who's installed 12.1 screens in their rides and looses their modes and gets20220730_095141.jpg20220730_095128.jpg20220730_095116.jpg20220730_095106.jpg20220730_095055.jpg the dredded "terrain management not available" it is the screens causing it due to missing the APIM MODULE/Sync screen. I used forscan to pull all the DTC codes and seven of them came up. I reinstalled the boring OEM unit back in truck then cleared all codes, went for a drive then checked again. No codes were there. So, if anyone wonders if the missing APIM causes issues it does! Here are the codes that were produced in my 2019 Raptor. Hope this helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ngodavid23