GEN 1 Mishimoto Radiator upgrade experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

This has gotten ridiculous.

Have fun paying $1500 when $700 would've done the job if you go that route. I'm not here to continue arguing with guys that have no hard data other than "I installed this and it worked".

So you comment on a thread trying to make a point yourself with absolutely no evidence, but then criticize others for having no evidence to back their claims. Mhm, how hypocritical of you.

There is not much data to share as the temperature numbers mostly stay the same to stock when upgrading the radiator (some may report slightly lower engine temps, but not by much). The only big data number to share is that you don't have to worry about your engine overheating, which several of us can attest to as we have used our trucks the way they were intended to be used. Ron Davis has been making radiators for the Raptor since 2010-11, and has an extremely long history with those that race in Baja, Mint, and so on—their reputation speaks for itself.

Full Race is a reputable company and makes quality products—a lot more so than Mishimoto. But there are always nuances why products cost 50% cheaper than others. CBR radiators were closely priced to Ron Davis when I bought mine—I think there was a $0.10 difference between the two, which makes sense as both are made in the USA.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you comment on a thread trying to make a point yourself with absolutely no evidence, but then criticize others for having no evidence to back their claims. Mhm, how hypocritical of you.

There is not much data to share as the temperature numbers mostly stay the same to stock when upgrading the radiator (some may report slightly lower engine temps, but not by much). The only big data number to share is that you don't have to worry about your engine overheating, which several of us can attest to as we have used our trucks the way they were intended to be used. Ron Davis has been making radiators for the Raptor since 2010-11, and has an extremely long history with those that race in Baja, Mint, and so on—their reputation speaks for itself.

Full Race is a reputable company and makes quality products—a lot more so than Mishimoto. But there are always nuances why products cost 50% cheaper than others. CBR radiators were closely priced to Ron Davis when I bought mine—I think there was a $0.10 difference between the two, which makes sense as both are made in the USA.
So there's a C&R AND a CBR?? I haven't actually seen the CBR - I thought there was a typo involved in that, but now I see that's another option.

D

Deleted member 17706

So there's a C&R AND a CBR?? I haven't actually seen the CBR - I thought there was a typo involved in that, but now I see that's another option.

Lol I thought you were the one making a typo by writing "C&R" as I have never heard of such. Yes, CBR is another very reputable off-road shop that makes quality products. But again, they have a quality price to go along with it :)

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol I thought you were the one making a typo by writing "C&R" as I have never heard of such. Yes, CBR is another very reputable off-road shop that makes quality products. But again, they have a quality price to go along with it :)
Earlier in this thread there's a C&R with part number. It was WAY cheaper. Concerningly cheaper.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL.

Your're not going to have a radiator failure because you spent $700 on a full race or $500 on a CSF instead of (a ******* insane) $1500 on a Ron Davis. You can only fit so much radiator into the stock mounts/core support. There is not technology in the Ron Davis that makes it worth double/triple the price.

Buy once cry once applies, but there is also such a think as smart purchases. Just because something costs more doesn't automatically make it better.

Tell yourself that when your cooking out in the desert 120 deg with a cracked tank or split tube.

Ron Davis is the most you can fit in stock location and best build quality i have seen yet . I had a previous CBR and it leaked twice and replaced under warranty and leaked 2nd time and Mishimoto on my Lightning has thin gauge tank material.

If i lived in area that was not as extreme heat then Stock would be just fine for me.

Last edited:

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I provided data and evidence that both CSF and Full Race work and are of good quality regardless of your concern that some boogey(china)man builds them. CSF has been building radiators since 1975 since you want to throw "time in business" into this equation now, even though it's completely irrelevant.

The raptor is not in any way special. A 6.2L V8 that even supercharged makes roughly the same hp and tq as the 2.2L 4 cylinder car in my signature. You guys act like getting one of these to run cool is some kind of black art because it says "Raptor" on the side. If you know the cores work (the important part of a heat exchanger), they will work in any application. And I know the CSF and FR cores work. CSF actually has a btube core ( https://csfrace.com/radiator-technology/#core ) which they claim is an improvent on standard oval core tubes.

To spend double/triple on an RD is absurd to me. It wouldn't even be a consideration unless i saw instrumented testing in the truck showing that money spent on the RD nets some huge performance gain. Like showing it maintains 200 while the other two get to 220-230 during the same test. For the record, I recommend against mishimoto because I've tested their oil coolers, intercoolers and radiators in cars and had temperature issues vs better quality parts like CSF, Setrab, Full Race, and other intercoole rmfg's you probably don't know about.

Basically you're arguing a perceived quality difference which you can't prove or know exists, and saying that somehow makes it worth a shit load more money.

Tell yourself that when your cooking out in the desert 120 deg with a cracked tank or split tube.

I live in Vegas and travel to phoenix 6-7 times/yr. You don't have to tell me about hot. See above regarding your perceived quality difference that doesn't exist.

You boys have fun with your $1500 dollar radiator.