Memorial Weekend 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I actually now have a Raptor, I'm going to take her on a quick trip to Panamint & Death Valley over Memorial weekend. I have some friends who actually live there! My plans are to head from the Bay Area to Panamint Valley on Friday, staying Friday night in Panamint Springs.
Then Saturday, head over to Beatty to meet up with some friends and probably zoom around somewhere on the eastern side of the Park or NV. Saturday night I'll be in Beatty. Sunday I'll be in DV and spend the night back at Panamint Springs. Monday I'll drive back to the Bay Area.

Andy

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like fun Andy. We love Death Valley and have enjoyed every trip we've taken there.

I hope you're not making the trip solo or without at least one other vehicle. It could be quite hot in DV on Memorial weekend and safety should be your first concern.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bay Area? As in SF bay? If so, where abouts? I'm in Morgan Hill.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun Andy. We love Death Valley and have enjoyed every trip we've taken there.

I hope you're not making the trip solo or without at least one other vehicle. It could be quite hot in DV on Memorial weekend and safety should be your first concern.

It should be warm by DV standards but not hot (120+), I've been going there for 15yrs now, pretty much all months of the year. Currently it's warmer here on the coast than DV (its global cooling I tell ya).

In Panamint, I keep touch with the miners and locals who live there via 2m, in DV there's now a cell tower (went active earlier this month) and I carry a Sat Phone and all the supplies to last a few days (MRE etc.)

Bay Area? As in SF bay? If so, where abouts? I'm in Morgan Hill.

Santa Cruz.

Andy

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Andy, are you inviting other Raptor owners? Is this a "Raptor Run" which means all SVToffroad'ers are welcome?

Can you give us more info on the route and days involved? The last trip we did was a 3-day trip which is about what a reasonable DV trip involves since it's a good drive there.

Thanks Andy!

I have to remember that one of the two gas stations in Trona closes at 10PM next time we're going through there. We were lucky (very) to get there about 10 minutes before closing.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy, are you inviting other Raptor owners? Is this a "Raptor Run" which means all SVToffroad'ers are welcome?

Can you give us more info on the route and days involved? The last trip we did was a 3-day trip which is about what a reasonable DV trip involves since it's a good drive there.

Thanks Andy!

I have to remember that one of the two gas stations in Trona closes at 10PM next time we're going through there. We were lucky (very) to get there about 10 minutes before closing.

Hi Dan,

So far I've nothing specific planned, but everyone is welcome. I'll be based at Panamint Springs for Fri/Sat/Sun nights. Will be doing some trails on Sat & Sun. One day will be out on the east side of the Park - maybe Titus Canyon or out to Gold Belt. One day will be in the Park. Was thinking of setting some kind of 'record' for getting from Auguerberry Pt, to Dante's View (highest points on west and east sides of park accessible by Raptor).

Currently I'm meeting up with two or four of the locals who live/work in DV and Panamint. The'll probably be in a Xterra/TRD/Rubi/Cherokee.

Gas is available at Trona (should be 24hr serivice with CCard), Panamint Springs, Stovepipe Wells, Furnace Creek & Beatty.

Last time I looked camping is available at Panamint Springs. All the hotel rooms in Panamint and in DV were sold. Rooms were available in Beatty (Stagecoach and Motel 6).

Andy

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to tell you all out in Cali. that yes I am jealous that you live so close to the desert with you RAPTORS. ;-)