Market Adjustment Prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FFCars

Reaction score
I will buy a Raptor, but the dealers need to get real. Why would anyone pay MSRP for a Ford? I didn't even pay MSRP when I bought my Ford GT in 2006. I waited it out and got one $20k under msrp.

A lot of discussion has revolved around dealer mark ups. State franchise laws need to change. Tesla is fighting state dealer protection laws to allow direct sales: manufacturer directly to consumer. They have been successful in many states and will knock down the walls sooner or later. Why? Because it's in the best interest of the consumer.

Tesla is on to something that's good for the consumer and the manufacturer. The manufacturer cuts out the middle man, passing on the savings to the consumer or adding extra to their bottom line. By providing standard msrp without the need to negotiate, you cut out the BS like Ford dealers across the U.S. are allowed to do.

This would kill dealers across the U.S., so they are fighting this movement very hard. Toyota has said they would go direct if allowed. So would Subaru.

As consumers, we can help change the laws. Write your local representive and ask him to get rid of out of date dealer protection laws.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So if the dealers go away who is going to service and warranty any work that needs to be done.

If you believe that is why the laws exist then I have a bridge to sell you.

If companies were allowed to sell direct (they won't be because of lobbyists $$$$) then they would likely have authorized service centers.

If companies didn't do this, they would lose sales. The consumers would decide.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
things are changing , its everywhere. Its going to take a long time tho.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't get how it works nor do you know how "great" the Tesla model is with no competition and dedicated service centers

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/foru...ing-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program

I do know how it works, very well in fact.

Tesla has little incentive to spend on service centers. No competition for what they have. Don't like it, then don't buy it.

Just like the new Raptor. Don't like paying full price for a vehicle with shotty QC issues, then don't buy it. Or maybe the government should step in and ensure that everybody can get a new Raptor! I'll tell ya, must be a lot of California snowflakes on here.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
As consumers, we can help change the laws. Write your local representive and ask him to get rid of out of date dealer protection laws.

As a general rule, every law passed is one less bit of freedom you used to have.

Your suggestion of getting rid of laws is a noble concept. How many laws have been repealed in recent history? Not superseded by another law, outright repealed? I can think of ... 2 - Virginia repealed the one handgun per month rationing law, though to be fair they did so by re-enacting the same section of code without the rationing. I forgot what the other one was.

My point is that legislative bodies are loath to repeal anything, it’s admitting a mistake publicly. Instead, they pass a new law, to replace the old law. Otherwise you’d be reclaiming your freedom and we can’t have that.

So, since the proclivity of legislative bodies is to replace laws, rather than repeal them keep this in mind: Almost every aspect of your life is regulated by the government at some level from the moment you take your first breath, until after you’ve breathed your last and at every moment in between. Why?

because someone, somewhere says “There ought to be a law”.

Be careful what you wish for, because almost every single legislative action has a collateral effect that is undesirable.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will buy a Raptor, but the dealers need to get real. Why would anyone pay MSRP for a Ford? I didn't even pay MSRP when I bought my Ford GT in 2006. I waited it out and got one $20k under msrp.

Tell me if I understand what you're saying:

* You won't "pay MSRP for a Ford"
* You didn't pay MSRP for a Ford GT
* You "waited it out and got one $20K under MSRP"

Simple question: Why don't you "WAIT IT OUT" and get a Raptor under MSRP?

And, as for changing the laws "protecting dealerships" why don't you spend your time doing something that helps those who really need some support?

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

You don't get how it works nor do you know how "great" the Tesla model is with no competition and dedicated service centers

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/foru...ing-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program

Not to mention how Tesla got into the business and stayed in the business: Saved by TAX BREAKS provided by OUR government.

Take those away and there's no Tesla.

And if you wait a while you may see Tesla go away anyway.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a general rule, every law passed is one less bit of freedom you used to have.

Your suggestion of getting rid of laws is a noble concept. How many laws have been repealed in recent history? Not superseded by another law, outright repealed? I can think of ... 2 - Virginia repealed the one handgun per month rationing law, though to be fair they did so by re-enacting the same section of code without the rationing. I forgot what the other one was.

My point is that legislative bodies are loath to repeal anything, it’s admitting a mistake publicly. Instead, they pass a new law, to replace the old law. Otherwise you’d be reclaiming your freedom and we can’t have that.

So, since the proclivity of legislative bodies is to replace laws, rather than repeal them keep this in mind: Almost every aspect of your life is regulated by the government at some level from the moment you take your first breath, until after you’ve breathed your last and at every moment in between. Why?

because someone, somewhere says “There ought to be a law”.

Be careful what you wish for, because almost every single legislative action has a collateral effect that is undesirable.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to see it is that, as a general rule, laws attempt to preserve certain rights and freedoms by restricting others.

The first 10 amendments to constitutional law were passed to guarantee freedoms by restricting the rights of the government and other citizens. You have the right to life, liberty, and property because the government took away other people's freedom to kill you, imprison you, or steal your shit - not such a bad thing in my opinion.

It's not a binary decision where "laws = bad" or "laws = good" - there's a lot of nuance that goes into governance that your opinion seems to ignore. But sure, there are going to be undesirable side effects.