LP6s on a 15A circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ha!

That's actually just a truck I saw in a parking lot - I don't own a Prius... a Volt, actually. So I fooled you.
Aaaand just when we thing we were trolling him, he punks us. A volt... I think I just threw up a little...

Welcome to FRF
#OneMorevolt
No, not into one switch. All six switches are utilized, save for my fogs which are two pairs of SAEs into one 10A switch. But, it got me thinking that I could wire everything into one switch and not have to flick multiple switches. I almost never isolate the lights - they're either all on, or all off. The Switch-Pro seems overkill for my needs - I don't need all sorts of programming capabilities. I've ordered stuff from SPV previously so I'll definitely hit up John.

So, by the numbers we have ~ 60amps worth of up fitters available . But, it’s not about all the lumens all the time. @Nex has a beautiful picture of the XL80’s in fog, and it’s very telling.

Yeah, it’s fun to light ‘em all up once in a while, but, you need to select your lights for different ranges and type of illumination - spot vs. combo vs. wide and whether or not you run any SAE fogs which double as weaker but street legal wide / driving style lights.

IMG_5935.jpg

Many users on here more savvy than me clued me in to this and it’s worth it.
I started with a pair of cheap amazon grille LED bars, then started adding squadrons in the bumper, then the S8 replaced the cheap amazon bars, then XL80s, then lasers and the most recent are the LP4’s in combo.

Once I got the XL80s, I realized that I didn’t have enough inclement weather lighting. The XL’s, lasers and S8 all fire up on up fitter 1, and the pillar lights are useless in heavy rain, fog, snow, or high dust. Even just the s8 is too high up and aimed pretty straight, as opposed to downward. So, I re aimed the squadron pros up front, leaving the SAE alone. They’re on separate upfitters. Then, I realized I had no amber, so got first 1 pair and now 2 pairs of amber covers. I have the now amber squadron pro combos aiming low, for use in fog. Those and the SAE are enough for inclement weather, because in that environment I’m not going for high speed. maybe more than some, but I’m trying to see clearly, not make time. To finish first, you must first finish.

So, my up fitter 2 used to be LP4’s plus a pair of squadrons. Now the LP4’s are alone on up fitter 2. I may upgrade those to LP9’s, and I may throw on a pair of amber S1’s on the bar, pointing downward for just a bit more inclement weather / dust lighting. Right now I can illuminate out to .5-.6 mile. I’m not able to make much distinction visibly out that far, but I can see the trees, vehicles, etc. at that distance.

It’s nice to have the close in lighting first, distance lighting is great and what we all want, but the close in lighting is a huge improvement, particularly for road side critters with a kamikaze streak.

OP
OP
C

crowe938

Reaction score
@smurfslayer totally agree. I have S2s mounted on pillars that are aimed way to the side to mainly identify animals. Here in the CO foothills, deer and elk are everywhere depending on the season. Then I have two sets of SAE fogs (ambers on the bar, whites in the bumper). Those are paired on one switch. Then I want the LP6s and LP4s together, and the S1s and Squad Pros together (which they are). They work well in light snow and dust because they're low in the bumper. For street driving the Morimoto XBs do a nice job - but for offroad I want as much as I can get - so all 4 LPs will be nice.

Looking at the Olsen relay panel - seems like it could be a good solution with the ability to utilize the high-beam stalk. Curious if anyone has experience with it?

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaaand just when we thing we were trolling him, he punks us. A volt... I think I just threw up a little...

Welcome to FRF
#OneMorevolt

So, by the numbers we have ~ 60amps worth of up fitters available . But, it’s not about all the lumens all the time. @Nex has a beautiful picture of the XL80’s in fog, and it’s very telling.

Yeah, it’s fun to light ‘em all up once in a while, but, you need to select your lights for different ranges and type of illumination - spot vs. combo vs. wide and whether or not you run any SAE fogs which double as weaker but street legal wide / driving style lights.

View attachment 410189

Many users on here more savvy than me clued me in to this and it’s worth it.
I started with a pair of cheap amazon grille LED bars, then started adding squadrons in the bumper, then the S8 replaced the cheap amazon bars, then XL80s, then lasers and the most recent are the LP4’s in combo.

Once I got the XL80s, I realized that I didn’t have enough inclement weather lighting. The XL’s, lasers and S8 all fire up on up fitter 1, and the pillar lights are useless in heavy rain, fog, snow, or high dust. Even just the s8 is too high up and aimed pretty straight, as opposed to downward. So, I re aimed the squadron pros up front, leaving the SAE alone. They’re on separate upfitters. Then, I realized I had no amber, so got first 1 pair and now 2 pairs of amber covers. I have the now amber squadron pro combos aiming low, for use in fog. Those and the SAE are enough for inclement weather, because in that environment I’m not going for high speed. maybe more than some, but I’m trying to see clearly, not make time. To finish first, you must first finish.

So, my up fitter 2 used to be LP4’s plus a pair of squadrons. Now the LP4’s are alone on up fitter 2. I may upgrade those to LP9’s, and I may throw on a pair of amber S1’s on the bar, pointing downward for just a bit more inclement weather / dust lighting. Right now I can illuminate out to .5-.6 mile. I’m not able to make much distinction visibly out that far, but I can see the trees, vehicles, etc. at that distance.

It’s nice to have the close in lighting first, distance lighting is great and what we all want, but the close in lighting is a huge improvement, particularly for road side critters with a kamikaze streak.
Hey @smurfslayer do you run the S8 off a upfitter switch 1 or 2 or do you use a relay? I just installed one and running it off upfitter switch 2. However, after a couple of days it blew the fuse. I know I'm pretty close to max'ing it out so I'm curious as to what you are doing? Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hey @smurfslayer do you run the S8 off a upfitter switch 1 or 2 or do you use a relay? I just installed one and running it off upfitter switch 2. However, after a couple of days it blew the fuse. I know I'm pretty close to max'ing it out so I'm curious as to what you are doing? Thanks

My up fitter 1 has : XL80s x2, S1 lasers x2, S8 30” bar x1 through a relay.
#2 is currently just the LP4’s
#3 is 4x squadron pro ambers
#4 is (new) B/D SAE.

#2 &3 both have relays and I think possibly 4 as well, I’d have to check.

LP4’s are good but I’m wanting a bit more for that up fitter.

I’m sayin’

he’s created a yellow out, which I understand there’s more than one way to do? Not only is about 98% of that light unusable in the conditions, it actually creates a reflection back on you. The bumper pocket lights are actually very good in this use case. Someone told me ‘low slung and wide dispersion’ I would add that the B/D ‘wide corner’ can also create a white/yellow out because it throws a LOT of unfocused light out. I had wide corner sports up front and could never get them aimed well enough to keep them out of motorists eyes AND be usable. The new SAE fogs are pretty good here, with a hard vertical cut off that’s really nice for this.

on the street, I find that with no oncoming traffic I can light up #3 ; the 4x squadron pros in amber and get a ton of usable light way past the high beam effectiveness but not really any higher.

You can’t really tell from the picture but the 3x squadrons are very tight in the opening. I have them favoring the SAEs as best I can so the inside amber is just a little blocked if aimed straight, so I aim them just a bit outboard and down. the 2nd amber is aimed straight on and a little higher, but not higher than the SAE, which are basically level.

If I want more forward light I hit the LP4’s, but I think the in close lighting is pretty good and will work well in fog & dust.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Correct, you want more of the usable light down low in poor visibility conditions. Been thinking about either moving these XL80s into the front bumper of the OBS, or changing the light pattern to spot. With the LP9 and S8 in amber I think I have enough of that light on the Raptor.