Installed Diode Dynamics fog kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor_tecate

Reaction score
Got shorted a pair of pods, they’re on the way. Biggest pain was the upfitter wires. Mine were opposite from the manual (2020). My hot ones come from behind the big connectors on the harnesses (people seem to refer to these as driver side). The colors that correspond to the switches are:

Yellow 1
Grn/bro 2
Ple/grn 3
Brown 4
Blu/org 5
Ylw/org 6

None of the videos or info I found matched my wires. Which was great.

The harness that came with the SAE pods had a relay and activator/deactivator wires. I had to cut this off and redo the harness as it wouldn’t work with the upfitter no matter which switch I tried.

Overall, not terrible, just time consuming.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2249.jpeg
    IMG_2249.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2250.jpeg
    IMG_2250.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 30

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
How did you connect the relay?
I’m assuming it’s a 4 pin relay...
should have
Batt +
ground/earth
connect to device (lights)
switch power / trigger - this should be up fitter.

OP
OP
raptor_tecate

raptor_tecate

Reaction score
How did you connect the relay?
I’m assuming it’s a 4 pin relay...
should have
Batt +
ground/earth
connect to device (lights)
switch power / trigger - this should be up fitter.
Like the photo shows, it wanted the activator and deactivator wires tapped to DRL’s and high beams. Wasn’t gonna do that so figure that’s why it would work. Otherwise I followed the instructions and connected ground and upfitter/trigger but no dice. Once I cut off and bypassed the relay it worked fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2256.png
    IMG_2256.png
    342.6 KB · Views: 11

smurfslayer

Reaction score
yeah, so deactivation would be high beams - some states require this. Honestly, I just use an up fitter.
guessing we have a 4 post relay. You need to get voltage readings and figure out where it’s falling apart.

so if you have up fitter power when key is on and switch is on, make sure you have a good ground and battery power connection. turn off the up fitter, hook the relay back up, ground, power, up fitter/trigger and test for +12 on the ‘load’ side of the relay. There should be none. turn on key and up fitter and check again. check for +12 at the up fitter connection to the relay AND the ‘load’ side. both should have +12. If you have +12 at the UPFITTER but not the load of the relay, then the relay is bad. You should hear the relay switch power unless it’s a fancy solid state unit. If you get +12 on the ‘load’ pin of the relay with the up fitter on, then the relay is good.

Maybe @Diode Dynamics can offer you some feedback here.

It’s odd that you had it running before and now it’s not.
How many total lights, and what is the current draw for them? It looks like 4x ss3’s ?

OP
OP
raptor_tecate

raptor_tecate

Reaction score
yeah, so deactivation would be high beams - some states require this. Honestly, I just use an up fitter.
guessing we have a 4 post relay. You need to get voltage readings and figure out where it’s falling apart.

so if you have up fitter power when key is on and switch is on, make sure you have a good ground and battery power connection. turn off the up fitter, hook the relay back up, ground, power, up fitter/trigger and test for +12 on the ‘load’ side of the relay. There should be none. turn on key and up fitter and check again. check for +12 at the up fitter connection to the relay AND the ‘load’ side. both should have +12. If you have +12 at the UPFITTER but not the load of the relay, then the relay is bad. You should hear the relay switch power unless it’s a fancy solid state unit. If you get +12 on the ‘load’ pin of the relay with the up fitter on, then the relay is good.

Maybe @Diode Dynamics can offer you some feedback here.

It’s odd that you had it running before and now it’s not.
How many total lights, and what is the current draw for them? It looks like 4x ss3’s ?

So it actually is working now, just minus the fog light relay. I just cut it off and then everything worked fine.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
It sounds like you have enough amps available on the circuit, but... Even if you have enough, if you’re over 75% of the rating of the up fitter, a relay is a good idea.
I’d be ok with it if the relay was bad, but I’d be concerned if the relay was good. Especially if your connections weren’t fully and properly crimped. That could come back on you.

Glad you got functionality.
Night shots. Or all this was for a prius.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You are better off going with one of our harnesses.

For future reference, our fog kits include everything you need for a Raptor. USA made brackets, 3 pairs of fogs and our harness that is designed for your upfitters. All at a discounted price: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...oad-brackets-for-2017-2020-ford-f-150-raptor/

You may want to just grab our harness to make your life easy. The harnesses Diode Dynamics provides with their kits are kind of UNIVERSAL in that they use relays/etc... which you don't need. It adds a lot of extra wiring/confusion. Our harness makes it plug and play

SS3 w/Backlighting: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...arness-6x-dt-4-pin-connectors-diode-dynamics/

SS3 w/o Backlighting: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...ors-diode-dynamics-rigid-industries-morimoto/

OP
OP
raptor_tecate

raptor_tecate

Reaction score
You are better off going with one of our harnesses.

For future reference, our fog kits include everything you need for a Raptor. USA made brackets, 3 pairs of fogs and our harness that is designed for your upfitters. All at a discounted price: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-...oad-brackets-for-2017-2020-ford-f-150-raptor/

You may want to just grab our harness to make your life easy. The harnesses Diode Dynamics provides with their kits are kind of UNIVERSAL in that they use relays/etc... which you don't need. It adds a lot of extra wiring/confusion. Our harness makes it plug and play

SS3 w/Backlighting: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...arness-6x-dt-4-pin-connectors-diode-dynamics/

SS3 w/o Backlighting: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...ors-diode-dynamics-rigid-industries-morimoto/
Ordered, this is what DD should include instead of the 30 foot of harness I received.

OP
OP
raptor_tecate

raptor_tecate

Reaction score
It sounds like you have enough amps available on the circuit, but... Even if you have enough, if you’re over 75% of the rating of the up fitter, a relay is a good idea.
I’d be ok with it if the relay was bad, but I’d be concerned if the relay was good. Especially if your connections weren’t fully and properly crimped. That could come back on you.

Glad you got functionality.
Night shots. Or all this was for a prius.
Amber backlit pods.
Fogs only.
Fogs and headlights.

The headlights wash out the fogs a lot but they make a huge difference laterally. You can see the shoulder and median way better at night. No one has flashed me yet, so that’s good!

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2285.jpeg
    IMG_2285.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 13