Looks great... not much reception...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( Craven really has a good product, but I am not getting squat for reception. Stations that were strong, now fade in and out if I can get them at all. Are there different sizes for the Raptor? Is going to a different size stubby an option?

Falcon

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my exact fear with a stubby, more so in Vegas where our stations are crap as it is, and even worse in the south valley were I live. Hell even Sirius cuts out in spots LOL... I am thinking I will just cut an inch off mine, enough to get it into the garage, and be done!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:( Craven really has a good product, but I am not getting squat for reception. Stations that were strong, now fade in and out if I can get them at all. Are there different sizes for the Raptor? Is going to a different size stubby an option?

Falcon

Falcon/Dave, perhaps I can help you with this. I too installed my CravenSpeed antenna and only when the Sirius subscription expired did I realize that I was getting lousy (awful) reception. I accidentally found the problem when I was installing my Rigid Industries lightbar and Dually lights.

When I had the end panel (passenger side) off I noticed a couple of wires with a red cover with a connector on the end that was just hanging there. And there is a female connector that this cable and connector could snap into. I wasn't sure what it was but I plugged it in (I figured it was the antenna but wasn't sure). As soon as I did, the radio reception improved dramatically. Viola!

So, unsnap the end panel (put a couple fingers in the vent hole and pull out on it and it will unsnap and you can remove it from the leading edge which is what lets go) and see if your wire is disconnected. If it is, plug it back in and you should enjoy much improved radio reception.

I figured mine was left disconnected because I have (had) Sirius satellite radio so I assumed that it wasn't required (my AM and FM reception when I had Sirius was excellent).

Here's a pic of the end of the instrument (dash) panel with the end panel removed showing the red covered wires running vertically in the picture (plugged in). The wire is coming from the antenna:

IMG_2883.jpg

wbimota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even my stock antenna has poor reception!!!
Maybe I have to check Dan's solution.

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, out to the driveway I went! Found the wire, but, alas... it was plugged in. You are talking about the black connector at the bottom end of the red wire, no? Thanks anyway Dan... Craven have any ideas?

Falcon

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How's the radio reception with the stock antenna? If it sucks I'd take it in to the dealer and have them troubleshoot it. Then put the CravenSpeed antenna back on.

Kellen@Craven

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man, out to the driveway I went! Found the wire, but, alas... it was plugged in. You are talking about the black connector at the bottom end of the red wire, no? Thanks anyway Dan... Craven have any ideas?

Falcon

I don't have any advice. Reception is hit and miss with both sizes of Stubby we offer for the F-150. Some people have no change at all, and obviously in some cases the radio suffers. We do take refunds within 30 days, no questions asked. So you can find out for yourself it it works for you. PM me if you have any other questions, and also put up a review on our page so folks know that you had some reception trouble with your Raptor.

If you rely on the radio or your entertainment everyday then you may want to stay stock, but the stub should be installed in a few seconds by hand. So you can always put the stock whip back on whenever you need to put function before form. All that said, we are running a big sale on them today;

Here is a link. The discount gets you an antenna with shipping for under $19. Our best offer to date.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen any difference between the stock antenna and the CravenSpeed unit. Is anyone getting worse radio reception with the CS antenna?