Long Tube Headers and Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody know of a good performance shop or good dealer , to bring the truck in to fix or replace my 02 sensor harness, i'm in new york so any help would be great thx

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you do that, get a temperature gun and run your truck at idle for 10 minutes and check the temp of the headers where the air-fuel ratio sensors are, if your exhaust isn't getting hot enough the sensors won't come alive or they will switch slowly

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cleave is right. I think this is most likely your problem. Do some searching on Google and look up o2's not heating up or something similar to that. I have heard of this before. I think there is some sort of metal mesh wrap that u can put on there to transfer heat to the sensors quicker...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I remember correctly oxygen sensors have to get up over 800 degree just to come on, and they work best around 1200 degrees, air fuel ratio sensors might have to get even hotter due to them basically being 2 oxygen sensors combined into one

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no way around this , going back to stock exhaust and will never do headers on a new type vehicle again, just a cat back and be done , it is too much of a pain the ass, so i will be selling my headers cheap, and the high flow set up. i'm done !!!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no way around this , going back to stock exhaust and will never do headers on a new type vehicle again, just a cat back and be done , it is too much of a pain the ass, so i will be selling my headers cheap, and the high flow set up. i'm done !!!

Shorty headers remedy this 100%. Pass all inspections and emissions tests!!!

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i blame stainless works for the problem , there design for the placement of the 02 sensor is wrong, there cats offer to much flow and nothing can get hot enough, for the sensors to turn on without throwing a light, i think kooks has the better set up with there green cats and shorter tube headers.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

think your right hockster, shorty's will allow the sensors to heat up to temperture, and pass, the stainless header sucks, my mistake , another live and learn process.

StiggyJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stainless works lightning (full system) on my 13 SCAB. Put it on at like 1K miles. No problems to speak of

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i blame stainless works for the problem , there design for the placement of the 02 sensor is wrong, there cats offer to much flow and nothing can get hot enough, for the sensors to turn on without throwing a light, i think kooks has the better set up with there green cats and shorter tube headers.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

think your right hockster, shorty's will allow the sensors to heat up to temperture, and pass, the stainless header sucks, my mistake , another live and learn process.

Having worked in powertrain calibration for 6 years, aging cats for emissions testing I know this shit. The high flow cats I am sure do not contain the same amount of precious metal as the factory cats and the main reason for O2 problem is the aftermarket O2 location, it is not the same as factory location and they do not heat up enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc