Long Tube Headers and Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my truck has 34,000 miles, my thing is it's not designed for e85, not so sure i wanna try that one , any one else try that ????

do not put e-85 in! I have only used e-30 I would not recommend anything higher than that. to make e-30 it's so many gallons e-85 and so many regular gas.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Ethanol Calculators

watch the 10% ethanol and make it 0 if needed.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Octane result from blending 2 fuels
Trying to replace premium gas in a non-flexfuel vehicle? This tool's for you.
Fuel #1 Fuel #2
E85 (Gals) Gas (Gals)
E85 Octane * Gas Octane *
% ethanol % ethanol
Result
14.00 gallons
93.4 octane
30.4% ethanol (or E30)

* E85 typically has an octane of 105. E10 may vary from 87 to 93. Premium gas typically is 91. Racing fuel is often 100 or higher.3 You should be able to find your octane numbers posted on the gas pump.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I do not recommend e-10 I have not tryed e-15 but it takes care of the problems e-10 has like the water separation...

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

if you want to stay away from going over e-20 I'd understand but I'm not saying you'll get the 16+ mpg like you can with e-30.

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't think i'm gonna go that route , but thx anyway, gotta be a better fix , just may bail on the headers and return too stock and be done, it's just to much of a hassle for the extra power. will try wrapping the header, to build up extra heat in the header, see if that works, drove home from work today,50 miles, reset the light , ran the truck at about 80mph ,the whole way home and had no light , so may be,just may be ,with it tacking at about 3200, the exhaust stayed hot enough, to keep the light off , i hope there is not a break in the 02 harness, that will be a night mare, that is the only code i am getting,the rear 02's have sims, so should be good there , just the drivers side, bank 2.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't bail on them yet. Start with this. Go under there and unplug the harness plug. Once unplugged look into the contact side and make sure that the small metal leads inside the pl;ug are fully seated in the plug body. If not, push them in a little better. Then, apply dielectric grease inside each of those lead points, plug it back into the O2 side (make sure to do this with all of the plugs leading to the O2 sensor). Once plugs back in, zip tie them together and try it. There may be the slightest of connection issues there that is causing the issue, if not, then you have only wasted about 10-15 minutes of your time ruling the plugs themselves out. If that is the case you can go to Autozone and buy or borrow a wiring tester that you can use to test the wiring itself to find out if there is a break in the core wire inside the sleeve. I am betting that is the issue, it is pretty common during the installation of headers to damage the harness or plug in some way. I wouldn't give up on them just yet. One other question, did you install extended O2 sensor harnesses? If not that could also be causing a similar situation by putting the harness under too much tightening strain and breaking the connection slightly.

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey chris, the sensor seems to reach just fine , i will go under there and look , when i installed the new sensor, i did look at the four prongs in the male end and they all looked good, all straight and not bent, the plug clicks in and seems good, if there is extended 02 harness, i don't know, it all looks good , but i will try that first thx jeff

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one more thing I would recommend IF and I repeat IF you haven't done so. Check the plugs. If you aren't firing to the fullest on that bank, just enough of a loss that things change like you mentioned, it is "possible' that you have a fouled plug or a plug wire that isn't seated fully or something along those lines. It would explain why it is only happening on bank 1.

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just went under there , pulled the 2 connecters there that i can see , and they look good not bent and seem to be fine applied some die-electric grease, and clicked it all back up, and i don't think that there are harness extenders there, and they are not stressed, and there is plenty of slack there, and on the pass side as well.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

it is happening on bank 2 which is drivers side, correct ??? yes , will check the plug wires and may change out the plugs any way, just for the hell of it .

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, my bad, I was "thinking" bank 1, that was my misquote. Yes bank 2 is the driver side or cylinders 2, 4, 6, 8

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Check for any exhaust leaks too, this could also effect the reading of the O2 sensors.

That is actually a very good point, if your gaskets have a slight leak it could cause heat to escape the flow

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did see some black soot by the clamps on the connections ,and went over them , and got them tighter as they were not all that tight, if there is a leak at the manifolds would you not hear it ???? i will try to get the bolts , they look like a bitch , but will try to see if i can get something on them , hey paul we spoke the other day , i called, running out of outs on this, so may there may be a set of headers for sale cheap.

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well mike at 5 star has been trying to help me out with my problem we been trying diff tunes and now the code i get is p2254, which looking it up that there is a harness problem, so chris it sounds like you are right , will have to bring this to ford to figure out cause i can't see it , i don't see any chaffing on the harness and the connections are tight , am at the point of surrender.