GEN 2 Load a 450lb motorcycle - how

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ducati Scrambler Italia and there is NO WAY I would try to get it in the truck bed. It wouldn't sit except diagonally, and even then troublesome. I use a trailer, borrow it from a friend, and have used it several times. Most recently to the World Super Bike races at Laguna Seca. Great fun, and I didn't have to worry about the bike at all.

I dun know man - but I think a 380 lb bike isn't too hard to handle on a 10 foot double ramp?

trailers are easy and I have a nice light weight one but its another thing affecting your driving
let alone the added weight and impeded maneuverability

Also, I forgot to mention.

One of my trips includes ascending a rocky winding 10,000 foot mountain
Wouldn't want to do that

but its worth it - every January a forest of centuries old juniper trees bear fruit

2016-03-19_084408702_0890d_ios.jpg

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gixxer and needed to load it with little notice once. The only ramps I could find were ATV ramps that were way to short for the height of the truck and low clearance of the gixxer. I just pop the front wheels up on the curb and drive it up. Works fine. I think an ADV's clearance wouldn't be an issue, but if you are going to high center, that is how I fixed it.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to leave your tailgate down, buy some "Tailgate EX Suport" bars from DG Manufacturing. dgmtailgatesupport.com
I carry a golf cart in the bed of my Raptor when we go south for the winter. You don't want the stress on the tailgate cables.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion

I was actually thinking I probably would reinforce the gate cable

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a hitch carrier for my 1190 Adv.
Easy to load by myself, keep the bed empty for my other crap (you have to go over the sides as the gate is blocked by the bike)
Always hitch height so I can keep my feet on the ground.

To be fair, it is a lot of weight to hang off the back of the raptor....
View attachment 141306

Yeah, no, I don't think I'm comfortable with this haha.
Maybe a 200 lb dirt bike ...

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1290 SAR fits in my gen 1 with tail gate down just fine. I have an atv ramp that I walk along side bike(running) to get it up. 790 would fit all day. I would suggest a chalk of some kind to prevent front wheel from turning loose. I made a bracket that bolts to bed that serves as a permanent chalk for the front tire. It hold two bikes.

View attachment 141307

Good idea
Thanks

I saw these angled wheel chocks called EZ chock from moto pro hq

These could work if the bike fits in diagonally - prefer diagonal so I can shut the tailgate

Screenshot_20200412-015600_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200412-015512_Chrome.jpg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of simplicity. A landscape trailer with a quality wheel chock like my Condor SC2000, and some high quality ratchet straps. I even made a Mad Max stone/shit deflector for it, that's easily removable when not needed. That shield could deflect a deer if needed! These trailers are super easy to load and unload with no clearance issues, easy to set up for different bikes and gear, pretty cheap to buy. It's also great to have if you need to move something like a fridge or stove, anything that's a ball buster to get up high for the truck bed. If that makes me a *****, I'm OK with that. I try to make my life easier when I can, not harder.

upload_2020-4-3_8-15-46-png.140637

Last edited:

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that the hitch hauler looks a little scary, but it is rated for 600+ pounds. If the weight on the hitch is a concern check out the formula to determine maximum tongue weight.

Check out top 20 hitch haulers and the Black Widow is rated high up there. Some of the search and rescue teams use the Mighty Hauler with a 1000lb rating but it’s not cheap, getting hurt or trashing you bike isn’t either

Another member had mentioned what it was like having a bike drop off a ramp, YouTube has some great videos of $20k+ bikes being dropped.

I`m 56 and have been on a bike since I was 6 and at 17 started Flat track racing and trailering all over the east coast. Loading heavy bikes into a era of when the higher the truck was the thing, and I couldn’t do that by myself.

Now that things are not so crazy high anymore? I know there is no way I would attempt to put my HD or Triumph tracker in the bed. But that’s me and I have a bad back and don’t want to trash any of my bikes or hurt myself even more

That’s a old mans reasoning on why to get a hitch hauler if I didn’t have a trailer. Just my opinion

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously uncalled for. Nobody’s putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read the question and responses. Nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to respond, much less respond in the condescending, and insulting manner you did.

I’m glad it’s simple for you, but complaining about thread and response quality in the same response that ridicule the original question and at least some of the responses, leads to exactly what you’re seemingly complaining about.

that’s basically what I “told myself” the first time I was putting quads or motorcycles in a truck bed- get some ramps drive the damn things on there. Make sure ramps are latched to bed/truck for extra safety. You wanna back up near a hill to be extra bitch ass go ahead lol. Make it as easy on yourself as you’d like, but make no bones about it- loading a bike into a bed ain’t rocket science.

Found out most quads better to back on eliminates risk of rolling into rear window & smashing it (learned that) lol

hauling a trailer is technically MUCH more risky/dangerous than hauling anything (bike included) in your bed