GEN 2 Load a 450lb motorcycle - how

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would you?

I haven't decided on one yet, but it'll be an adventure bike around this the weight.

At this point, I'm keen on a ktm 790 adventure R. Or similar from competitors.

The question is how to safely get it on and how to strap or down.

What are you gents doing?

I'm considering a folding atv ramp because they're wider and can stow it in the back. And something 12 feet the to reduce the incline.

I lined my pick up bed with BedRug Impact Bedliner and don't recall if there are any hook points. Should be some. Are they solid?

Would like to haul it in the bed for a couple of hundred miles.

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the length. Make sure whatever you get isn’t longer than the bed+tailgate. I have an Africa Twin and there’s no way I could haul it in my Raptor.

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
How would you?

I haven't decided on one yet, but it'll be an adventure bike around this the weight.

At this point, I'm keen on a ktm 790 adventure R. Or similar from competitors.

The question is how to safely get it on and how to strap or down.

What are you gents doing?

I'm considering a folding atv ramp because they're wider and can stow it in the back. And something 12 feet the to reduce the incline.

I lined my pick up bed with BedRug Impact Bedliner and don't recall if there are any hook points. Should be some. Are they solid?

Would like to haul it in the bed for a couple of hundred miles.

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks.

I wouldn't! I would purchase a cheap trailer. You can pick them up used for short money and so much easier to load a bike.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 2 ATV folding ramps. One for the bike to roll up and the second one for you to walk up. I have had at different times, my 1290 adventure r and my 790 adventure r in the back with a RPG Chase rack with one spare removed.

I even have tie-downs that hold the ramps in place so they don't fall. I idle the bike up if you're good at it which is what I usually do so I don't even have to push.

Last edited:

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 2 ATV folding ramps. One for the bike to roll up and the second one for you to walk up. I have had at different times, my 1290 adventure r and my 790 adventure r in the back with a RPG Chase rack with one spare removed.

I even have tie-downs that hold the ramps in place so they don't fall. I idle the bike up if you're good at it which is what I usually do so I don't even have to push.
This is a great idea.

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the length. Make sure whatever you get isn’t longer than the bed+tailgate. I have an Africa Twin and there’s no way I could haul it in my Raptor.

I’ve hauled my multistrada 1260 and ktm Superduke 1290 (not at same time) in my raptor no problem, tailgate down. I hauled the Superduke for 1,000 miles, no issues

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is exactly what i do. 2 ramps. i loaded my busa in the bed of my gen 1, regardless bed length is pretty much the same. i strap down the ramps to my tow hooks so the ramps dont slide or move

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah I was thinking if I'm lucky, diagonally with the tailgate up.
It tailgate down with the factory extender.

I'm considering a 2020 Africa Twin as well.
Friend picked up the high end version in manual. Great bike.

I wouldn't! I would purchase a cheap trailer. You can pick them up used for short money and so much easier to load a bike.

I've got a nice trailer but would really prefer not to haul it it I can load my pick up bed.
I read your thread (whispers: and I agree with you, could've been 1300).

Nice bikes.

Do you only if your 790 will fit diagonally with the tailgate up?
I cannot find online what length the 790 adventure r is. Even stupid ktm.com doesn't mention this.

I’ve hauled my multistrada 1260 and ktm Superduke 1290 (not at same time) in my raptor no problem, tailgate down. I hauled the Superduke for 1,000 miles, no issues

How'd you get them up there?
Ramp?

this is exactly what i do. 2 ramps. i loaded my busa in the bed of my gen 1, regardless bed length is pretty much the same. i strap down the ramps to my tow hooks so the ramps dont slide or move

Yeah, definitely securing ramps to car frame. I've seen those YouTube videos lol.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice bikes.

Do you only if your 790 will fit diagonally with the tailgate up?
I cannot find online what length the 790 adventure r is. Even stupid ktm.com doesn't mention this.

I can't put it in diagonally with the RPG Chase rack as the center part of the rack where the gas cans go keep me from rotating the bike. So I have to do it with the tailgate down.