GEN 2 Load a 450lb motorcycle - how

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last suggestion, with the bed and tailgate open I have seen bed hauling extenders, modified it mounts to hitch comes out to end of bed, straight up 90 and to the top of gate and 90 in with a wheel chalk at the end for the rear tire
Primitive computer rendering done, I’m better with crayons
l——{
l
l____

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An adventure 790r would be my next bike purchase if I decided to do so. For now, the Grom is serving it’s purpose to even out the perceived over compensating purchases. I like being positioned on the far extremes.View attachment 141346
I’d do the monkey over the grom tbh. Love those things.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the only mistake I made with the deflector is making it out out of 1/8" steel plate. It was cheap and it was handy, but holy crap it came out heavy! The surprising thing is that once it's bolted in and the braces are attached it makes the trailer ride much quieter between the added weight and because it takes most of the flex out of the front of it. I never knew the landscape trailers flexed so much until I added that on.

I think the unintentional weight from the steel was fortuitous - in the sense that you've added stabilizing-weight?

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last suggestion, with the bed and tailgate open I have seen bed hauling extenders, modified it mounts to hitch comes out to end of bed, straight up 90 and to the top of gate and 90 in with a wheel chalk at the end for the rear tire
Primitive computer rendering done, I’m better with crayons
l——{
l
l____

haha I completely visualized that

The KTM 790 adventure R is about 7.5 feet in length.

Using Pythagorean's theorem (no, I'm not a mathematician - just an incompetent accountant):

The diagonal leanth is 7.7 feet

So about 2.5 inches to spare - but those 2.5 inches would get used up by the tires at each corner because its 7.7 feet if you begin at the coner - the tires are to wide to fit into the corner.

It'll be tight lol.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice deflector!
I have an 11.5 by 5.5 light weight trailer - but some areas would be rocky and I think just walking it up a ramp would be more or less the same as loading it onto the trailer.
Back in the days I used trailers vs the bed to load my dirt bike. I concluded that the trailers are better safer and more practical to use solo. The only reason I’ll load up my bike on the truck bed is if I am going to Liwa which more or less a 4 hour drive from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the days I used trailers vs the bed to load my dirt bike. I concluded that the trailers are better safer and more practical to use solo. The only reason I’ll load up my bike on the truck bed is if I am going to Liwa which more or less a 4 hour drive from home.

hello geographical neighbor

I don't know if you've been up jebel shams (the old route not the new one) - especially after its stormed for a few days
it gets tricky on large adventure bikes.. wouldn't want to haul a trailer on that route
I mean I could but it would double the amount of time to reach the peak

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

That's a big part of what makes me like a trailer. If I've unloaded in the middle of nowhere to go riding and I booger up a knee or hand, I can still get my bike back loaded up by myself. VERY tough to do that with ramps and a truck. Plus the longer I had my trailer the more I found other uses for it. Best $1,000 I ever spent.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello geographical neighbor

I don't know if you've been up jebel shams (the old route not the new one) - especially after its stormed for a few days
it gets tricky on large adventure bikes.. wouldn't want to haul a trailer on that route
I mean I could but it would double the amount of time to reach the peak
Hi buddy
Never been there but will have to go after the quarantine is over. I get your concern but the only hassle will be loading the bike to the bed. I have been in crashes and alone were I crf 450 weighting 115kg turned to be 1000 kg when your injured. Stay safe and you never know when that trailer come in handy.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a big part of what makes me like a trailer. If I've unloaded in the middle of nowhere to go riding and I booger up a knee or hand, I can still get my bike back loaded up by myself. VERY tough to do that with ramps and a truck. Plus the longer I had my trailer the more I found other uses for it. Best $1,000 I ever spent.
Agreed trailers were always a help in either a human injury or a mechanical failure. I got to love them when I had my prerunner.