GEN 2 Livernois cold air intake - intake air temp sensor harness doesn’t reach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralphy1798

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2018 raptor.

I ordered the livernois cold air intake, thermostat and tune.

I went to install it today and the cold air intake doesn’t work. The intake air temperature sensor harness barely reaches the sensor in the location on the livernois cold air intake, which is a good 6-8” from where it is stock.

I stretched the harness a bit, and got it plugged in, kind of, but I was worried with the tension on the harness, that would be a bad idea, so I put the intake back to stock.

Anyone else have this problem?

OP
OP
R

Ralphy1798

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the Livernois cold air intake and the harness connected to the intake Air Temp sensor.

The harness for the Intake Air Temp sensor comes from the left side of the engine, and with the Livernois Cold Air Intake, its way on the right. The stock one is more near the center of the motor, so its about 6-8" inboard from the one in these pics.

IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dang aftermarket can't get things right sometimes.

Maybe you can gain some slack by tracing the wires back to the split point and cutting them out of the bundle? If you're confident enough, you can cut the wires and splice in a section to extend the harness. If you don't want to cut the OEM wires, then you could go online to Ballenger Motorsports (https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/) to buy the connectors and build up an extension cable.

If you don't want to mess with the wiring, then just cut a new hole in the intake and move the sensor closer to give some slack in the wires...

Another option is to take that intake off and put the stock setup back on that works better anyway.

OP
OP
R

Ralphy1798

Reaction score
Yeah, when I called Livernois this morning, they said I may have to go further back up the harness and separate it from the main loom to get some more length out of it.

I’m an electrical engineer. So I’m fine cutting and soldering in more wire, just a bit annoying it’s not plug and play. I was also wondering if I was missing something super obvious I was doing wrong!

I have the stock intake back in there for now.

When you say the stock one works better anyways, what do you mean?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I called Livernois this morning, they said I may have to go further back up the harness and separate it from the main loom to get some more length out of it.

I’m an electrical engineer. So I’m fine cutting and soldering in more wire, just a bit annoying it’s not plug and play. I was also wondering if I was missing something super obvious I was doing wrong!

I have the stock intake back in there for now.

When you say the stock one works better anyways, what do you mean?

The stock intake provides more than enough "air" for the engine. The aftermarket setups are pretty much only for the bling factor/personal preferences. In the case of your Livernois, it should indeed be plug and play with no problems. You may want to consider sending it back for refund.

I reviewed all the available designs via their photos and bought the S&B. However, I sold it before ever installing it because there just isn't a need with the stock turbos. You would need to go pretty big on aftermarket turbos to actually need more capacity than the OEM setup provides. All the Ecoboost engine setups are this way. Ford did a good job with them, far different from previous turbo engine designs.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my S&B intake- (almost the same as yours) they actually sent and extended harness to plug in and gave me the needed extra room!!

OP
OP
R

Ralphy1798

Reaction score
When I bought my S&B intake- (almost the same as yours) they actually sent and extended harness to plug in and gave me the needed extra room!!

Update, when I called livernois, they advised me to remove the engine cover (2 nuts), and to cut the tape of the harness a few inches back. I did this, and it reaches with ease. I am pleased with the results!

Their tune is nice as well! I can recommend this and their customer service, it was quick and excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk