light package suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tcspase

Reaction score
I just bought the FRL fog light kit with the BD squadron pro spots, wides, and KC flex lights. I'm looking for suggestions to finish off this lighting package. I will be doing lots of cross country driving and lots of trail riding and camping. I think the FRL package will be great and looks awesome. I'm racking my brain on how to finish all this up.

I've heard great things about the BD S8 30" behind grill bar and the 10" onX6 in the lower grill. I might want to do an intercooler upgrade so I'm not sure the s8 will work.

The 40" zroadz bumper mount looks great, but I have not heard too much about it. I would probably put the 10" onx6 in the lower grill with this configuration as well. The price is a good fit, I just hope that it would give good light output and not get drowned out by the squadron pros. I want it to look good AND be functional.

the idea configuration might be a or 30" high power straight or 40" curved onx6 on the N-fab bumper mount, but I have not seen any pictures of that anywhere. it would be functional and look awesome. the 30" is cheaper and higher power than the 40" curved, so I'm leaning that direction.

I've considered Rigid but from what I've read I will be getting a lot better value out of the baja lights. the radiance lights look great but dont have the output of the E series...and they are both super expensive.

what do you guys think? I'm trying to get a great look that is functional. the zroadz looks awesome. but I worry about the lack of reviews. The S8 looks awesome too but I think I prefer the bumper mount look. the 30" onX6 might be a great option on the N-fab mount, but I'd like to see some pictures before I pull the trigger.

I'm not exactly made of money, so I want to make sure whatever I invest in will look and function top notch. I dont want to spend extra cash changing out lights down the line. I've got until April before I get to my next base and finally pick up my truck. I'd like to have something ordered by march so sales, and new product releases might sway my decision. Thanks for your input.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The majority here (including me) believes in spending more and one time for quality lights such as Baja and or Rigid versus a few members that are convinced in getting el chipo chinese knock offs that buy you 100" bar for $25....lol

Call the vendors and search the posts. This has been lately a very heated topic for discussion.

OP
OP
T

Tcspase

Reaction score
I hear you. I’ve read through a ton of these threads and I noticed there are a ton of people who are diametrically opposed. Either $2000 or $ 20. Haha. I might just buy the OnX6 10” to finish off the serious lightning package and mount a crappy 40” bar on the N-fab bumper for the looks, and maybe upgrade that light later on when something catches my eye

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tcspase, you don't have to worry about the 10" Onx6 Hi-power in the lower grill being over-powered by the 4 squadron pros. It's a beast that puts out a higher candela value than the 30" S8 or 4 squadron pros.

I will be taking some high quality night photos to demonstrate the light cast by the 30" S8, the 10"Onx6 HP, the 4 Squadron Pros and the KC Hilites in the fog pocket. My goal has been to create a well dispersed lighting arrangement that gives good light over a large area. Here's my strategy: The S8 with the combo lens throws an intense spot way down the trail, so I'm using that for my long distance lighting.The Onx6 w/the combo lens has a little more mix of spot and wide dispersion so I'm using that for my mid-distance spot and wide-driving lighting. Then I'm using two Squadron Pros w/the spot lenses angled about about 3-5 degrees outward form the center of the truck. The squadrons have a decent beam, but not like the S8 and Onx6. Anyway the Squadron spots fan out left and right of the main central spot beams from the two light bars and increase the width of the center hot spot. Lastly, the other two Squadron Pros w/the diving combo lenses are aimed about 5-10 (estimating) degrees outward (left and right) from the center line of the truck. Those supplement and widen that center spot even more and give great side lighting from the wide-cornering portion of the lenses. Whew, that was a lot to say. Anyway, pics to come to demonstrate my set up and approach.

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well I'd always recommend the Baja Designs packages (LED Auxiliary Lights - Baja Designs - Raptor (2017+) Lighting Kits - 4x4TruckLEDs.com) but as you said you are not made of money.

The S8 Grille package is $877.46 so it's not TOO bad but still it's not cheap. The ZROADZ kits you were looking at are is $569 (ZROADZ Top of Front Bumper LED Light Mounting Kit Combo with 40″ Curved Light Bar and Wiring Harness - 4x4TruckLEDs.com)

So it is a savings of $308.46 which is a bit of cash. Tough decision.

I think if I were in your shoes and money was tight, i'd probably go with the 40" bar, but then kick myself later for not putting the S8 kit in. I mean you can always do both, nothing wrong with that. Start with something cheaper now and then upgrading later on.

OP
OP
T

Tcspase

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I think I’m going to start by getting an OnX6 10” bar to go with my BD fog light set....then I’ll get the N-fab mount with a super cheap light For looks. That should be about a $200 part that might not provide the best light but will at least provide a good spot to upgrade from. I could throw whatever light bar I want on there whenever.

I wasn’t concerned about the fog lights outperforming the OnX6. I was worried about them drowning out the cheaper 40” bar from zroadz.

Out of curiosity....if I went and did the s8 bar as well, I would have the 10”OnX6, 30”S8, and BD fog light set with squadron pro spots, squadron pro wides, and KC flex floods....which lights would you guys add amber lenses on? I would be doing most of my driving on road and need something to cut through fog. I already have the KCs with amber lenses. I was thinking of either putting them on the OnX6 or on the outside sections of the S8. Thanks again for all the feedback.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well if you get the KC Flex, i assume you are talking about the FRL kit, which has the option for amber flex lights... so you would not really need amber lenses on the squadrons unless you wanted a LOT more amber light (which I like).

If you wanted amber i'd suggest the Baja Designs kits, so you get the pair of S2 lights and then you can swap out a pair of lenses on the squadrons to amber. I'll throw in the amber lenses for ya at no cost.

If you go with the FRL kit you get to pick the amber kit as you built the kit.

2017 Ford Raptor Triple Fog Light Bezel Kit w/KC HiLITES Flex Lights - 4x4TruckLEDs.com

If you went with this kit I'd do clears on the KC HiLITES, Amber Wide Cornering and then Some spots and wire them all up to 3 switches so you can pick/choose what you run (i'd say spots so you can throw light further down the road) but another popular option is the wide cornering in white... so this way you can switch between amber/white for wide cornering depending on the weather conditions (I use my amber OnX6 only in bad weather and the white only off-road... I don't use my lights on-road since it's way too bright for where I live, near the city)

Or use the Amber Kc's as kind of mood lighting and lighting up the road a bit. They'll give you some minimal up-close lighting and the squadrons would give you more of a flood/down the road style pattern depending on what you pick.

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tcspase, I also have the KC's Hilite Flexs with the amber covers. If you want more amber lighting than that then I would do what 4x4TruckLEDs suggested and get some amber lenses for one pair of the squadrons. And just like mentioned, wire them to separate aux switches so that you can have only ambers on as needed. If you do partial ambers on the S8, that will not give you flexibility to choose which lighting is appropriate for the driving conditions. Good luck and have fun with the process!! BTW, I've got mine configured so that the S8, Onx6, and both pairs of Squadron Pros are triggered by the high beam switch. When I hit that switch, it's glorious! And I think a choir of angels even starts singing (at least that's the way I hear it). ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tcspase

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger. I bought everything from FRL. They were able to get me a great deal. I’ve got the FRL fog light set from them last week, and today I ordered the S8 and OnX6. I’ll probably throw on a cheap 40” bar on Nfab bar later on for the looks. Now.... I just need to find out what to do for the rear. I hear great things about the S2’s, but the kit comes with the sport model. I’d love it if they made the kit with a pro model. I’m looking for as much flood lighting as possible for camping. I might just mount a set of cubes under the bumper. Something like the rigid industries side shooters or squadrons with a diffused pattern.

Does anyone know if the S2’s come with a specialized bracket or is it just the harness that we are paying extra for? I was thinking about ordering the pros and making my own harness

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
S2 reverse kit comes with a vehicle specific mounting kit/wire harness (but nothing stops you from just drilling into your bumper and mounting the universal bracket that comes with the lights) and then running your own wires