Life expectancy of 3.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lmao!! Don’t be mad because you foolishly overspent on the same truck!

EDIT: I will excuse your rudeness because I see you live in California, typical DA liberal!
Ok....

1. I’m not mad at all. In fact, I’m the opposite. I’m happy.
2. I’m not a DA liberal. Or even a CA liberal.

You’re 0-2.

I will excuse your assumptions because of your lack of education.

ShawnJ

Reaction score
I love my 800a, I’ve gotten offers to sell it at the price I paid for it. Basic and fun. The creature comforts would be nice though! I think these engines are solid with mileage... I’d be more concerned with the price you pay with one with some miles on it. I’m at 30k and still great!

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m also really curious about the longevity. Best practice used to be that turbos were there on gasoline engines only for when you briefly need that extra power but the rest of the time you’re not making substantial boost. That’s why they were a great fit for sports cars that don’t need much power at steady state cruise.

All of that went out the window with Ford doing turbo gasoline engines in trucks. Now some will be making substantial boost for hours on end while towing. In my experience, this leads to excessive EGT’s and drastically reduced oil life. Ford must have solved this problem or designed the parts to be able to withstand this environment.

I think it’s very telling that Chevy/dodge/Toyota/Nissan aren’t doing turbo truck engines.

I would guess that the biggest threat to longevity are the turbos themselves and the additional complexity. I don’t think electronically actuated waste gates and bypass valves will last as long as the engine.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m also really curious about the longevity. Best practice used to be that turbos were there on gasoline engines only for when you briefly need that extra power but the rest of the time you’re not making substantial boost. That’s why they were a great fit for sports cars that don’t need much power at steady state cruise.

All of that went out the window with Ford doing turbo gasoline engines in trucks. Now some will be making substantial boost for hours on end while towing. In my experience, this leads to excessive EGT’s and drastically reduced oil life. Ford must have solved this problem or designed the parts to be able to withstand this environment.

I think it’s very telling that Chevy/dodge/Toyota/Nissan aren’t doing turbo truck engines.

I would guess that the biggest threat to longevity are the turbos themselves and the additional complexity. I don’t think electronically actuated waste gates and bypass valves will last as long as the engine.

Let’s be honest, Dodge/Toyota/Nissan aren’t doing anything in the truck powertrain department. GM has too much invested in their small block program that works and sells fantastically to abandon it.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sigh.....

i have had experience 5 cars with the 3.5eb variants. They are like any other motor. take care of them, and they will last forever. Skip oil changes and filters or plugs...they will start to run bad.

2012 f-150 3.5 eb (bro in law) ... had it for 8 years and 150,*** miles
2013 SHO 3.5eb chipped.. 50,*** miles when i traded it in...was bullet proof
2014 Ex SPORT...110,*** miles....running great...traded it in for a 2018 Ex Sport
2018 Ex Sport....32,*** miles and still like brand new
2018 RAPTOR.....32,*** miles chipped......still like brand new

Stop being afraid of random internet stories....there are 15 million 3.5's out in the wild. dont let one or 2 documented failures scare you

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sigh.....

i have had experience 5 cars with the 3.5eb variants. They are like any other motor. take care of them, and they will last forever. Skip oil changes and filters or plugs...they will start to run bad.

2012 f-150 3.5 eb (bro in law) ... had it for 8 years and 150,*** miles
2013 SHO 3.5eb chipped.. 50,*** miles when i traded it in...was bullet proof
2014 Ex SPORT...110,*** miles....running great...traded it in for a 2018 Ex Sport
2018 Ex Sport....32,*** miles and still like brand new
2018 RAPTOR.....32,*** miles chipped......still like brand new

Stop being afraid of random internet stories....there are 15 million 3.5's out in the wild. dont let one or 2 documented failures scare you

I disagree. As you mentioned, there are millions out there so bringing up the 5 you know is not a sufficient representation of the population.

Turbocharged engines have lower reliability (in comparison to their naturally aspirated counterparts) due to the increased temperatures at which they operate at, the increased pressures inside the combustion chamber, intake/exhaust manifolds, the more sophisticated control technologies (and associated sensors they are dependent on) and the basic statistics of having more parts, each of which has its chance own chances of failure.

There are far more “flight critical” parts on any turbo engine. These are the parts that are required to work correctly for the engine to function. More parts = more chances of having any one part fail.

Turbocharged engines create more heat which leads to higher temperatures. Operating at higher temperatures in general degrades material properties and will cause them to fail earlier every time (except for some high nickel super alloys). “Earlier” may still be at 200,000 miles or more. Just stating that it’s earlier than the same part that is not exposed to such extreme temperatures. For example, I have the spec for A-286 pulled up and it shows that the yield strength drops by 35% at just 1200F. I have seen EGT’s over 1600F on my turbo Jeep.

Also, repairs on turbocharged engines are likely to cost more than NA engines. For example, my buddy’s 2015 3.5EB had the exhaust manifold gasket blow out. It was found that the exhaust manifold had warped. This is due to the higher temperatures and pressures that turbo engines run at. Repairing it required removing the turbocharger on that side as well. A NA engine is less likely to have this happen and if it happens, it’s not nearly as critical to get it fixed since it’s not feeding in to a turbine.

Engines today are very reliable so even if you pick an unreliable design, chances are that it will still not fail on you, at least for a while.

After all, if the 3.5 was as reliable as any NA engine we would see it being used in many other places (e.g heavy duty trucks, work trucks, etc.)

Having said all this, I’m still A huge proponent of the 3.5EB but there is no getting around the numbers and the physics that it is less reliable than an equivalent naturally aspirated engine.