GEN 2 Let the Big Dogs Run...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a new Raptor owner I'm still being surprised/amazed at its capabilities...
Yesterday Espoza Loco and I had to drive home from Houston to The DFW area requiring passage on I-45. After a quick stop at Sams Club for $1.88 93 Octane, we were off.

On the trip down there was alot of traffic but yesterday was light and once out of Houston traffic I set the cruise on 80 (75 mph limit) and "The Beast" loped along at 2100 RPM barely making a whisper. A few minutes later I spied a familiar look in my rear view, a Black Raptor rapidly closing on my Six. I eased over and he slowed, gave me the "Raptor bro" wave and pushed it up to Warp 1. I slid into the #2 trail position and for the next 100 miles (only slowing for Waze inputs) the journey was reminiscent of driving Autobahn E-5! Triple digits were common on some of the long stretches with 88-93 average most of the way.
The Raptor is surprisingly stable and quiet at higher speeds.
A nice, lifted 6.7 F250 (with a support law enforcement sticker) joined #3 behind me halfway thru and we three (obviously experienced drivers) held formation all the way to the outskirts of The Big D.

The Raptor didn't seem to even work up a sweat amazingly showing 17.9 MPG average for the run.

Not that I'm condoning speeding on public roads but, it's pretty cool what these vehicles can do...:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yes. It takes some adjustment to get used to the different speed limit culture here, as opposed to, oh... anywhere on the (l)east coast.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol “surprisingly stable” - that is, until you get “surprised” & then immediately realize, WHOOPS this is actually one of if not the WORST handling/braking/cornering/maneuvering factory vehicles capable of those speeds on the Road today. The F350 trailing yeah maybe being one of a handful possibly worse.

For what it is, yes It is smooth & quiet @ 90-100 in a straight line, but if/when shit hits the fan, ya dead, more than likely, or someone else is.

I hit a deer head on in my Last GMC truck doing 70-75, Im alive to tell you this because somehow someway my instinct to immediately swerve hard left or right when the thing made a leap over the guardrail as I hummed along in cruise in the left lane w/ no shoulder. A swerve to the left would’ve flipped me, a swerve to the right would’ve cAused a massive pileup & a full on ABS locking “panic brake” probably would’ve caused me to hit any vehicle immediately next to me....so I basically held tight & plowed through head on hoping for best.

I would’ve been able to fully stop or most likely swerve right while avoiding people in my vette, I would’ve been able to stop and possibly avoided in my wife’s MDX- definitely would’ve been able to avoid in my previous S4

obviously hitting deer head on in an S4 or Vette is not really an option either like it is in a full size truck so there’s that.....but my point is replace the deer w/ a kid or a car that lose a wheel or a folding ladder spinning down the hwy (yup seen that before) & the results wouldn’t be pretty.

have fun but be safe- don’t be fooled by the tech/power/sound deadening, cuz ya can’t fool physics

ademarco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how you were able to do 90+ and get 17.9 mpg. I usually average 80 and average is 14 mpg for my truck. I may need a tune, but then again I’m on crappy CA 91. I haven’t seen a Raptor wave either and I see a ton here in CA, maybe a TX thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m wondering how you were able to do 90+ and get 17.9 mpg. I usually average 80 and average is 14 mpg for my truck. I may need a tune, but then again I’m on crappy CA 91. I haven’t seen a Raptor wave either and I see a ton here in CA, maybe a TX thing.

Its a brand new truck, that average will come down real quick.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aerodynamics of the raptor are not friendly to MPGs

If I see a raptor during the day I try Flash the highbeams.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I set my cruise at 75 to cross Ohio and averaged 18.9.