GEN 2 Let the Big Dogs Run...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how you were able to do 90+ and get 17.9 mpg. I usually average 80 and average is 14 mpg for my truck. I may need a tune, but then again I’m on crappy CA 91. I haven’t seen a Raptor wave either and I see a ton here in CA, maybe a TX thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a TX thing. No one here gives a shit about your Raptor, except Raptor owners. You are just another truck in a state full of trucks.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Its a brand new truck, that average will come down real quick.

I thought MPGs were supposed to get better as the motor breaks in.

I’m wondering how you were able to do 90+ and get 17.9 mpg. I usually average 80 and average is 14 mpg for my truck. I may need a tune, but then again I’m on crappy CA 91. I haven’t seen a Raptor wave either and I see a ton here in CA, maybe a TX thing.

I will let you know how GooseTuning effects my MPGs on 93 Octane FL swill.

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set my cruise at 75 to cross Ohio and averaged 18.9.

Nice.

My avg is 17.1 as of this morning. Mostly highway. I just installed a Lomax tonneau cover and I don’t know if I’m imagining things butter mpg has def improved since then.

Data:
Truck built 8/7/2020
Bought new, now with 3900 miles.
Driving 70-80 with ACC.
90% highways.
Fuel: 93 always. Filling up mostly at Sheetz, 3-4x at Wawa/Sunoco/Shell
I do give it 75%+ throttle when hitting on-ramps... because vroom.
Prior to tonneau install... average was around 15.7-15.9. For the last two weeks post-install I’m above 16.7 easy.

Fuel economy is usually supposed to get better as the engine gets broken in like Joey said above. Also, some say the tonneau’s positive impact on fuel is a myth, some say it’s real. Who knows.

Anyways, sounds like you had a killer drive. Love situations like that.

Drive on folk. \m/

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It takes some adjustment to get used to the different speed limit culture here, as opposed to, oh... anywhere on the (l)east coast.

Not sure what you mean. A speed limit does exist here and the troopers enforce the hell out of it.

If you don't get caught you were just lucky. That runs out sooner or later.

As for me. I speed everywhere. And when I get caught every few years or so, it is what it is.

You have to pay to play.

Last edited:

PNW2stroke

Reaction score
I just did my first road trip in my new ride. Went from the Dalles oregon to Missoula. Did 10-15 over the whole way so between 70 and 95 over two mountain passes. I was only running 89 octane and averaged 16.8 on the way there. Only took one tank of gas and we stopped for **** and stretch breaks quite a bit and just idled the whole time.

didn’t do as good coming home but were fighting a 30-40 mph headwind the whole time. Ended up at 14.8 for the 900 mile round trip.

that’s pretty damn good for climbing elevation and fighting wind in my opinion. I also am not shy about on ramps and hammering down to get around left lane campers.

Flatfuse

Reaction score
My gas mileage shocked me a couple weeks ago. 2017 with 50,000. Normally I get 14-16 running around town. Drove up and down the Pacific Coast Highway from Washington to California’s redwood forest and back. Averaged 21.3 over 650 miles. Cool temps, 55-65, 92 oct.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a post on here somewhere about calibrating your mpg to get an accurate number.

I have an 18 with 24k, run 93 octane and have never seen over 17.2.

OP
OP
Smokyray

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have fun but be safe- don’t be fooled by the tech/power/sound deadening, cuz ya can’t fool physics

Hey, appreciate the words.
I do consider others and keep it safe within acceptable threat level and risk, something I've been doing a long time in a previous life (25 years flying the F16)
Thanks...

Love this truck...:)
V/R
Smokey

PS: Gas mileage numbers were with a 20K 2018 802 Alpha with tight fitting RC tonneau bed cover, A/C off, side mirrors retracted, (quieter above 80) K&N air hi-flow air filter, 93 octane and judicious use of cruise.

Last edited:

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
I set my cruise at 75 to cross Ohio and averaged 18.9.

I was at the dealer last week for service and service rep asked me about the 19.1 mpg was correct. Told him yes I always hand calculated on fill ups. I run the speed limit plus a couple miles over., speed limit here in NC is 65 to 70 highway. Anyway I went back to use some ford pass points for a new set of wiper blades. Service rep said I will be right back, but he returned with a sales manager. Thought this is weird but he asked me about my mpg also that was the best 20.5 I have ever had. Basically he lost sales for Raptors because of mpg and was looking for actually mpg from a long time customer to use. He offered to fill my fuel tank up and take pics of screen. Was 1/10 th off from truck mpg to hand calculated. Truck has right at 10,000 miles on it right now. So free 24 gallons of fuel out their pocket. I’m still amazed on the mpg I’m getting and why. The only thing I can think of that would help is the ARE topper I put on my truck and my style of driving. I doubt you will believe the mpg as I’m still looking for a answer being this monster shouldn’t be getting the mpg it does.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the dealer last week for service and service rep asked me about the 19.1 mpg was correct. Told him yes I always hand calculated on fill ups. I run the speed limit plus a couple miles over., speed limit here in NC is 65 to 70 highway. Anyway I went back to use some ford pass points for a new set of wiper blades. Service rep said I will be right back, but he returned with a sales manager. Thought this is weird but he asked me about my mpg also that was the best 20.5 I have ever had. Basically he lost sales for Raptors because of mpg and was looking for actually mpg from a long time customer to use. He offered to fill my fuel tank up and take pics of screen. Was 1/10 th off from truck mpg to hand calculated. Truck has right at 10,000 miles on it right now. So free 24 gallons of fuel out their pocket. I’m still amazed on the mpg I’m getting and why. The only thing I can think of that would help is the ARE topper I put on my truck and my style of driving. I doubt you will believe the mpg as I’m still looking for a answer being this monster shouldn’t be getting the mpg it does.
If you’re mostly highway and running good fuel I believe it. This truck gets better mpg than my LS6 manual transmission CTSV around town. It can’t quite pull the 23-24 I can get on the highway but around town the 10 spd and V6 really work together.