Leaf Spring Swap. Retorque Everything!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
So on our Baja 1000 trip this year we had a Raptor lose the front leaf spring frame bolt. It backed out, beat out the holes on the frame and made a decent mess. We were able to get some weld washers put in and everything was fine.

After this guys backed off, I retorqued all of mine. Then I did it again a day later. Last night when I started to tear the truck apart to prep for RaptorX I found this.

IMG_3987.JPG

This was after retorquing twice.

I'm going to loctite and safety wire them on, which should fix the problem. But I strongly suggest everyone retorques all spring bolts after a few hundred miles. U bolts, shackles, etc...

jocdmd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the same thing happen to one of the guys at Havoc too. BigRed was able to fix it for him.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Sound advice. I'm under the truck at least once a month just looking at things for inspection. Might as well torque it down as well.

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.

ADD Bucks
November Pay It Forward Event! - Page 101 - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

The nut was still on but barely. I'm going to safety wire them. I'll do a writeup in my build. Just need to get pretty at safety wiring.

After Baja I had to let the truck sit until this weekend due to other tasks (pregnant wife). I cleaned the shit out of it, put it on jack stands, pulled all the skids off, and will start going through everything.

Wilson I'm glad you like Jelly Beans. Sitting here with my 4 year old niece and she said she likes them too.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing on the farm we have to retorque the sickle on the bean head. Every thing elce I've checked has been tight. My earlier comment was a unique way of subbing.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they regular nuts or nyloc nuts?

It's ****** outside and I dont want to go under my truck to look.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Are they regular nuts or nyloc nuts?

It's ****** outside and I dont want to go under my truck to look.

I went with deavers and they come with new nuts and bolts, and they nuts are Stover nuts which are supposed to be a locking nut. They also have thread locker on the bolt already, but I guess it isn't enough.

The factory nuts are locknuts.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use them at work they seem to work fine. We also use a ton of other loctite products building seals, they will stay "fresh" and or last much longer if you can keep them in the freezer.