Just got the Daytona DS300LR Jack from Harbor Freight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 20 year old Craftsman Pro and it's struggling 17" of lift just couldn't get the front end of the Raptor off the ground, and I was tired of stacking blocks. So after much research, mostly on this site, I went ahead and sprung for the Daytona DS300LR from Harbor Freight (note the "LR" in the model number stands for the "Long Reach" variant of the 3 ton low profile jack; there are a couple of other models with a very similar model number, but don't lift as high). I measured out a full 24 1/4 in of reach when I got it home...true to the product specification. I was able to lift the front end of my Raptor, with 37s and OEM springs at mid parch, completely of the ground with plenty more lift capacity left in the jack. I should also note this jack is serviceable and has zerk fittings for lubricating the major friction points. It's a massive, heavy jack with a very wide base. It's a solid recommended buy at $199 on sale here in Charleston, South Carolina. Although, it may be a touch on the heavy side and take up a lot of space for those carrying it around in your truck.

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 20 year old Craftsman Pro and it's struggling 17" of lift just couldn't get the front end of the Raptor off the ground, and I was tired of stacking blocks. So after much research, mostly on this site, I went ahead and sprung for the Daytona DS300LR from Harbor Freight (note the "LR" in the model number stands for the "Long Reach" variant of the 3 ton low profile jack; there are a couple of other models with a very similar model number, but don't lift as high). I measured out a full 24 1/4 in of reach when I got it home...true to the product specification. I was able to lift the front end of my Raptor, with 37s and OEM springs at mid parch, completely of the ground with plenty more lift capacity left in the jack. I should also note this jack is serviceable and has zerk fittings for lubricating the major friction points. It's a massive, heavy jack with a very wide base. It's a solid recommended buy at $199 on sale here in Charleston, South Carolina. Although, it may be a touch on the heavy side and take up a lot of space for those carrying it around in your truck.

Hope it works out for you...I'd try it out as much as possible while its still under warranty....I've not had much luck with the "expensive" items at H.F....cheap use and throw away after a few uses seem OK....but if I'm under a 3 ton raptor,I want to be sure I can finish the job...and still be alive....and a H.F. jack doesnt make me feel lucky.....I'd still make sure you block it up or use Jack stands just in case....I finally went with the 3 ton Eagle Pro...yeah,it was double the price at $400..but what price can you put on your well being...LOL...
BTW,,the Eagle Pro is also a very big and heavy jack...but seems like it will be the LAST jack I ever buy....even fits under my Corvette which adds bonus points for me... :)

Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP. Enjoy that new jack...it’ll likely be with you for years to come.
And yes, do use 3 ton jack stands along with the jack :)

FWIW, I’ll share a frightening story. An acquaintance lost his son in a freak accident under a car. The son was doing everything right; big jack and jack stands on a level concrete surface. Unknown to them was that over time a void developed under the concrete pad. The pad collapsed with the son under the car. The car dropped killing the son...instantly the dad hopes.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the 6 ton HF Jack stands, the height is too short on the 3 ton

3 ton Maximum Lift Height (in.) 16-3/8 in. Minimum height (in.) 11-3/4 in.
6 ton Maximum Lift Height (in.) 23-1/2 in. Minimum height (in.) 15-13/16 in.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP. Enjoy that new jack...it’ll likely be with you for years to come.
And yes, do use 3 ton jack stands along with the jack :)

FWIW, I’ll share a frightening story. An acquaintance lost his son in a freak accident under a car. The son was doing everything right; big jack and jack stands on a level concrete surface. Unknown to them was that over time a void developed under the concrete pad. The pad collapsed with the son under the car. The car dropped killing the son...instantly the dad hopes.
Yikes. That's a horrible story.... I usually don't mess around when it comes to working under cars.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the 6 ton HF Jack stands, the height is too short on the 3 ton

3 ton Maximum Lift Height (in.) 16-3/8 in. Minimum height (in.) 11-3/4 in.
6 ton Maximum Lift Height (in.) 23-1/2 in. Minimum height (in.) 15-13/16 in.
I actually have 6 ton stands for my light weight/everyday stands. Have 12 ton stands for heavy stuff...but that's mostly for their 30"+ reach and extra wide, stable bases. That's one of the primary reasons I needed a higher reach jack....could barely get the front end of my truck off the ground with my old jack and a precariously stacked set of blocks...and much harder still to get it up high enough for the 12-ton stands. On the 12 ton stands I can yank and torque away on the front end without fear of it falling off the jack stands....a necessity when doing heavy suspension work.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope it works out for you...I'd try it out as much as possible while its still under warranty....I've not had much luck with the "expensive" items at H.F....cheap use and throw away after a few uses seem OK....but if I'm under a 3 ton raptor,I want to be sure I can finish the job...and still be alive....and a H.F. jack doesnt make me feel lucky.....I'd still make sure you blocks or Jack stands just in case....I finally went with the 3 ton Eagle Pro...yeah,it was double the price at $400..but what price can you put on your well being...LOL...
BTW,,the Eagle Pro is also a very big and heavy jack...but seems like it will be the LAST jack I ever buy....even fits under my Corvette which adds bonus points for me... :)

I'm definitely in the get-what-you-pay-for camp. I've run through my share of crap tools at Harbor Freight, just I have to turn around and spend double the money to get the right tool on top of the money I wasted at Harbor Freight. But it's not across the board. Harbor Freight has its place for some stuff. As for me, I was really conflicted about the jack... and was really considering going with the Eagle Pro. It basically came down to me just being fed up with my current jack and wanting to get a replacement jack right away.... Not wanting to wait on a shipment for the Eagle Pro (and the money, too, of course).

But after getting this Harbor Freight jack home, it seems my reservations were unfounded. This is a rock solid jack! That's the whole reason I posted this up. I guess time will be what ultimately determines whether or not this is a good purchase. Although this is actually my second Harbor Freight Jack.... I bought a cheap 3 ton floor jack 25 years ago to mount my transmission adapter plate to and serve as my dedicated transmission jack. This jack has long outlasted my Craftsman Pro jack...although it has an exactly seen the same level of use and abuse.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That jack is on my list to buy, two of them probably. My old Craftsman 3 tons have pretty much been used up.

Is that jack is made in Taiwan? Typically all the "good" HF stuff is Taiwanese and not Chinese. Plenty of expensive jacks from the big names come out of Taiwan.

Their new "Icon" line is higher end stuff. Was looking at the Icon 20-24 MM wrench set last night, was made in Taiwan. All the cheaper Pittsburgh stuff was Chinese.

Some shit it just makes sense to buy at HF. I'm not buying a pro-grade $800 10" tile wetsaw for home use, but I don't want the $125 Home Depot Ryobi POS either. HF lands in the sweet spot with their $350 version of the 10" brand name $800 saw. It's not as nice obviously, but it works fine. If it ever wears out, I can buy a second saw and *still* be ahead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That jack is on my list to buy, two of them probably. My old Craftsman 3 tons have pretty much been used up.

Is that jack is made in Taiwan? Typically all the "good" HF stuff is Taiwanese and not Chinese. Plenty of expensive jacks from the big names come out of Taiwan.

Their new "Icon" line is higher end stuff. Was looking at the Icon 20-24 MM wrench set last night, was made in Taiwan. All the cheaper Pittsburgh stuff was Chinese.

Some shit it just makes sense to buy at HF. I'm not buying a pro-grade $800 10" tile wetsaw for home use, but I don't want the $125 Home Depot Ryobi POS either. HF lands in the sweet spot with their $350 version of the 10" brand name $800 saw. It's not as nice obviously, but it works fine. If it ever wears out, I can buy a second saw and *still* be ahead.
Looks like it's made in China...same as nearly all the other major tool brands

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snap On sued HF over that Jack as it is made in the same plant as the SO and looks identical. Nothing but great reviews on that jack I have one myself. Only get the heavy duty yellow Daytona model. It’s going to be on sale for Black Friday for $179.99 if you can wait.