Just got the Daytona DS300LR Jack from Harbor Freight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snap On sued HF over that Jack as it is made in the same plant as the SO and looks identical. Nothing but great reviews on that jack I have one myself. Only get the heavy duty yellow Daytona model. It’s going to be on sale for Black Friday for $179.99 if you can wait.
Already got the black one. Was going to get the yellow HD version, but it doesn't go up as high... And after getting a look at these things in person, strength and durability wasn't much of a concern...as best I can tell by looking at it anyway. Time will be the ultimate determining factor.

As for safety, I put zero faith in the safety of any hydraulically actuated jack that doesn't otherwise have a full mechanical lockout... And no floor jack that I'm aware of has such a feature.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same jack, it's quality is not an issue.

and you are an idiot if you are ever under a car without jack stands any way. (said to the guy worried a HF jack would drop a car on him)

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shit man, you can't even trust the concrete the jack and jack stands are sitting on according to this thread.

Life is risky. Stay in bed and you'll never get hurt. Lifting up 100+ lb floor jacks into your truck though? Now that's a good way to throw out your back.

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd move on from Harbor Freight. Most of their stuff is chinese junk and I sure wouldn't wanta bet my life on it holding. Also do you really think your survivors would get a settlement from China? I doubt it.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't bet my life on Chinese jacks... I bet on Chinese jack stands

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd move on from Harbor Freight. Most of their stuff is chinese junk and I sure wouldn't wanta bet my life on it holding. Also do you really think your survivors would get a settlement from China? I doubt it.
Also pretty sure that all jacks, but for the few boutique tool providers out there, are made in China

Last edited:

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also pretty sure that all jacks, but for the few boutique tool providers out there, are made in China

Yea thats a damn shame isn't it? I probably should have said a reputable or established lift manufacturer.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If I pull a wheel off I always lay the wheel under the truck close to the jack, just in case. If crawling under the vehicle always use jackstands.

20 something years ago we had a close call after a long night of partying down on the border. I was sleeping in the back seat and my buddy ran into a curb in my dodge diesel, blowing the front tire. Jacked it up and pulled the wheel, truck fell off the jack just seconds after I got done inspecting for other damage. It still bothers me when I think about it. Since then, if a wheel comes off, it gets laid down under the truck.

I do need a new floor jack, I will check this one out.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I pull a wheel off I always lay the wheel under the truck close to the jack, just in case. If crawling under the vehicle always use jackstands.

20 something years ago we had a close call after a long night of partying down on the border. I was sleeping in the back seat and my buddy ran into a curb in my dodge diesel, blowing the front tire. Jacked it up and pulled the wheel, truck fell off the jack just seconds after I got done inspecting for other damage. It still bothers me when I think about it. Since then, if a wheel comes off, it gets laid down under the truck.

I do need a new floor jack, I will check this one out.
That's the thing... I've had jacks "fail"--where they can't hold the weight and slowly leak down. Not terribly dangerous. But I have had trucks fall off jacks a few times (falling off a jack has nothing to do with the quality of the jack). Each time they fell off the jack was when I had to stack blocks between the jack and the truck to get it high enough off the ground. This is why I sought out the highest reach jack I could find... Preferably one that didn't cost north of $400. This one is a solid jack that lifts up to a true 24 1/4 inches and costs $200. A recommended buy for those of you looking for something similar.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea thats a damn shame isn't it? I probably should have said a reputable or established lift manufacturer.
Not trying to pick your words apart....but for many items that we buy, there are many different brands for a given product, but there are often only a few "manufacturers". Take your typical riding lawn mower as an example. A handful of manufacturers make all the well-known riding lawn mowers brands. MTD makes Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, sometimes Craftsman, and several other store brands. Husqvarna also sometimes makes Craftsman among many others still. I am pretty sure John Deere makes their own stuff (while that may not necessarily make it better, it definitely makes it more expensive!).

Hand tools are much the same way. Granted these brands have their own specification for the products that they put their name on, but they contract out to mass manufacturers. It's much, much cheaper that way. One manufacturer could build multiple products for the same competing brands (and they of course have to sign iron clad non-disclosure agreements). If you see another product that looks like an existing brand's product, they probably didn't steal the design but instead licensed it from that brand. They'll often be required to make subtle changes to keep it from being completely confused with the competing brand. This helps drive down manufacturing costs for all parties involved due to the mass production of similar products, and gives the original designer an additional source of revenue for their product, and all without cheapening their brand's image for offering lower cost tools... AND now for the best part, this gives us, the consumer, a cheaper, albeit comparable quality product to buy.

Not saying that's the case with this Daytona Jack, I quite frankly haven't looked into its supposed Snap-On clone... But I definitely wouldn't beat up on it due to it's off-brand name. It's probably made by the very same people that make the high-end products that everyone else swears by.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts