Just got the Daytona DS300LR Jack from Harbor Freight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also pretty sure that all jacks, but for the few boutique tool providers out there, are made in China

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

There are actually plenty of US made jacks.

US Jack
Milwaukee Hyd
Lincoln
Hein Werner
Weaver
There are more too...

They'll all cost you twice as much as any foreign made jack though.

If I made my living repairing cars, I'd buy a nicer US made jack. Another $300 or $400 per jack isn't that big of a deal when they are used all day everyday.

When I use it 3 or 4 times a year though, a DS300LR will very likely last me the rest of my life. My crappy Sears 3 ton jacks got me through the last 25 years, and they are nowhere near as good as the Daytona jacks.

OP
OP
tplee

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are actually plenty of US made jacks.

US Jack
Milwaukee Hyd
Lincoln
Hein Werner
Weaver
There are more too...

They'll all cost you twice as much as any foreign made jack though.

If I made my living repairing cars, I'd buy a nicer US made jack. Another $300 or $400 per jack isn't that big of a deal when they are used all day everyday.

When I use it 3 or 4 times a year though, a DS300LR will very likely last me the rest of my life. My crappy Sears 3 ton jacks got me through the last 25 years, and they are nowhere near as good as the Daytona jacks.
Can't disagree with any of that.

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to pick your words apart....but for many items that we buy, there are many different brands for a given product, but there are often only a few "manufacturers". Take your typical riding lawn mower as an example. A handful of manufacturers make all the well-known riding lawn mowers brands. MTD makes Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, sometimes Craftsman, and several other store brands. Husqvarna also sometimes makes Craftsman among many others still. I am pretty sure John Deere makes their own stuff (while that may not necessarily make it better, it definitely makes it more expensive!).

Hand tools are much the same way. Granted these brands have their own specification for the products that they put their name on, but they contract out to mass manufacturers. It's much, much cheaper that way. One manufacturer could build multiple products for the same competing brands (and they of course have to sign iron clad non-disclosure agreements). If you see another product that looks like an existing brand's product, they probably didn't steal the design but instead licensed it from that brand. They'll often be required to make subtle changes to keep it from being completely confused with the competing brand. This helps drive down manufacturing costs for all parties involved due to the mass production of similar products, and gives the original designer an additional source of revenue for their product, and all without cheapening their brand's image for offering lower cost tools... AND now for the best part, this gives us, the consumer, a cheaper, albeit comparable quality product to buy.

Not saying that's the case with this Daytona Jack, I quite frankly haven't looked into its supposed Snap-On clone... But I definitely wouldn't beat up on it due to it's off-brand name. It's probably made by the very same people that make the high-end products that everyone else swears by.

Yea I watched a video on UTube going in depth on how many good quality name brand tools are owned by single parent companies most of which we've never heard of.
We all figured it was going downhill when Kmart was able to start selling craftsman tools.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back in late 80's my high school auto shop teacher showed the class a horrific picture of a guys head crushed sideways under dual rear wheels of a dumptruck that fell off the jack. Todays world he would probably be in trouble for showing kids a pic like that. Ever since then i don't screw around cheap jacks and stuff . I have a proeagle 3 ton it's the best jack i ever owned.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in late 80's my high school auto shop teacher showed the class a horrific picture of a guys head crushed sideways under dual rear wheels of a dumptruck that fell off the jack. Todays world he would probably be in trouble for showing kids a pic like that. Ever since then i don't screw around cheap jacks and stuff . I have a proeagle 3 ton it's the best jack i ever owned.

I don't think that is a Jack failure more of a operator error, Not sure what your definition of a cheap jack is but mine is that it will lift its rated capacity and the seals don't fail, they are simply a hydraulic lift system. I am sure your pro Eagle is a great jack and with enough or lack of use the seal could fail a good jack would be made to be rebuild-able with spare seals and parts. I think cheap Jack stands may be more dangerous than a cheap jack.