Just finished shock swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justbob

Reaction score
So I just finished swapping in Texas Shock Works rebuilt shocks and Geiser front springs. The “do it yourself” shop I did it at is an hour and 30 min away (great place and owner, I will do a separate post on that), but point is I got a good mix of driving in with plenty of pot holes, milled pavement, off ramp bridge expansion joints, etc. I opted for the “B” valve “settings” advertised as street/off-road balance. When I bought the truck 15,000 miles ago (now at 60,000) felt like the suspension was much smoother. My easiest local test is hitting some “table top” speed bumps at about 30-35 mph in a parking lot near me that are about 8-10” high. When I first got the truck it felt like I could have had an open cup of coffee and barely spilt any, the shocks went south pretty fast over the last 5-10k miles (back end skipping out over bumps, etc.). My “real off-roading” is limited to logging roads so maybe I didn’t need the “B” spec. My ride back felt only mildly better than my worn out shocks and definitely not as smooth as when I first got the truck.
My question are, does anyone else feel like this with the “B” spec? Am I just being over analytical?
Would reducing the nitrogen pressure soften the ride?

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
Getting no love on this question ?!?!?! Update, now when I go over speed bumps I get the soft “clunk” you get when your shocks are going and the bushings have play (I didn’t get the replaced bushings with my rebuilt shocks).

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are on stock leaf springs, they could be worn out and flattened which will greatly impact the ride. Just a thought

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
I haven’t reached out to TSW on this. There isn’t any leaks on the shocks so I am guessing they will just indicate that’s the street/off-road valving. I am due for an oil change soon so plan to go back to the same shop, and move the shocks to lower perch. I think with the Geisers I won’t see much (if any) drop in height, but hoping it reduces the “preload” on the socks and smooths the ride out. I don’t think the rear leaf springs have lost much given the limited off roaring and limited hauling . I just did 1000 miles of mostly highway over the holidays and did notice the back end “hops out” pretty much the same as my old 1/2 tons. Feel like that was nonexistent when I first got the truck. Am I just having selective memory?

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
No other changes other than rotating tires and installing 1-1/2” spacers.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Justbob I know what you mean. I had the same experience w TSW; put on rebuilds (can’t remember what valving i ordered) but they lasted probably 10-15k miles before the rears felt like the blown shocks I had when I bought the truck.

I will say I am probably due for new/upgraded leafs as it’s a 2014 w 115k on it, but I thought 10-15k miles was a little soon for the rebuilds to start leaking from strictly on-road use.

I reached out to them and they offered to send me a replacement rear if I sent in the blown rebuild, but I already had a line on some 2019 live valve delete take offs by the time they got back to me.

BTW even with the old leafs the 3.0’s make the truck float like a Cadillac compared to what it came with and the OE rebuilds - highly recommended this route.

Bulldog15

Reaction score
Just received my rebuilds from TSW haven't installed them yet. I had excellent customer service! I had the C service and hoping the ride is way better?? Just turned 70k on the truck from what I understand the lowest perch is a more comfortable ride? Any thoughts.