Just a warning for those tuning gen3s.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well it uses cell signal. So cut the cell signal connection and it can't communicate. Good to go. Im sure the performance shops will have a easy fix.

Cutting the connection doesn't get around the encryption though. I'm not saying that aftermarket tunes are impossible, I just suspect that they will take longer to develop, probably more expensive, and will come with sacrificing certain connectivity functionality.

I don't think it would be very wise to buy a '21 and newer vehicle, assuming that you'll be able to get an affordable aftermarket tune, until after we starting seeing some affordable aftermarket tunes.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heck is going on in here?

How do I disable any GPS/tracking/logging **** in my Gen2?

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I set my truck on fire last night after reading this post. Will that fix the problem? Let them watch if they want to the sick voyeurs! We all just need to start doing more donuts in the parking lot at our local Ford dealers!

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cutting the connection doesn't get around the encryption though. I'm not saying that aftermarket tunes are impossible, I just suspect that they will take longer to develop, probably more expensive, and will come with sacrificing certain connectivity functionality.

I don't think it would be very wise to buy a '21 and newer vehicle, assuming that you'll be able to get an affordable aftermarket tune, until after we starting seeing some affordable aftermarket tunes.
Welcome to the world of OTA updates and customer "convenience". Ford adds a shiny new widget to your infotainment while you sleep. You start up your Raptor the next morning and you are delighted. All the while, Ford is pulling diagnostics and ECU info to ensure you haven't given them the crack of daylight that they need to deny a warranty claim.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of OTA updates and customer "convenience". Ford adds a shiny new widget to your infotainment while you sleep. You start up your Raptor the next morning and you are delighted. All the while, Ford is pulling diagnostics and ECU info to ensure you haven't given them the crack of daylight that they need to deny a warranty claim.
Yep that's it. Because thanks to OTA I can type a vin in my ford system anywhere I can login and I can see set dtcs, issues, last time updates were done, speed tracking, heck if I want to be that guy hated at the dealer I can pull up key cycles(which if u flash ur ecu, that number starts over at 0) so that's a red flag it's been flashed. Those days are over, even if companies allow tunes and get past encryption ford is always seeing it so what's the point of trying..... Just warning everyone.

coryatver

Reaction score
Autovlog YouTuber is getting a supercharger on his 2021 f150 from TC customs (Town and Country Ford). They seem to think that they will be able to do it in a few weeks

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Find me a case where someone had warranty work denied for a tune

seriously- been on this forum now for 4 years, never once heard a peep, have heard lifts/springs/A-arms create warranty issues

I also believe a standard tune from a reliable tuner isn’t going to do squat in terms of diminishing reliability, these engines have forged guts & have been proven to be quite durable over the years

interesting if you “can’t” tune a Gen3 w/ same engine due to new ECM, wonder how long it’ll last? I believe GM locked down the ECM on the new C8 vetted pretty hardcore too…pretty sure they’re “untunable” as well- so weren’t dodge challengers @ one time too though so who knows?

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that's it. Because thanks to OTA I can type a vin in my ford system anywhere I can login and I can see set dtcs, issues, last time updates were done, speed tracking, heck if I want to be that guy hated at the dealer I can pull up key cycles(which if u flash ur ecu, that number starts over at 0) so that's a red flag it's been flashed. Those days are over, even if companies allow tunes and get past encryption ford is always seeing it so what's the point of trying..... Just warning everyone.
Damn thats terrible news since the tune really helped with the Gen2 and I didnt even go with the most aggressive tune. I wonder if Ford Performance will offer some sort of factory tune or if they could do something OTA.