Jumpy Speedo Needle and random erratic shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 weeks ago I brought my truck in to the dealer to check an issue with random speedo needle jumping and erratic shifting from 1st gear to 3rd gear. The tech hooked up the scanner and read P1500 error. Replaced speed sensor part# AL3Z7G276B and part# 6L2Z7G276AA. The tech then drove the truck for 60 miles with no issues and no DTC CODES. I then picked up the truck drove it that day for about 180 miles with a few stops and no issue, then as soon as I got into Manhattan during stop and go traffic, the issue came back again. Standing at a red light, the speedo needle will move from 0 to 60mph, the rpm needle will move to 3000 rpm, reving the engine as well and the Eco bar will move up all green, once I start moving the transmission will shift to 3rd gear, then down to 2nd, get stuck on second, then down to 1st gear, stay stuck on 1st then shift ok. I posted a short clip. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I have a 2011 Roush Raptor with 75,000 miles. Thanks

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust - Roush Phase II 590 HP Supercharger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you running Roush's Tune or third party?

There could quite a few things causing that.
Mostly bad connection somewhere or not enough signal strenght from one or more sensors.
Have you checked the three plugs going to the PCM for corrosion?
You may want to get some electrical contact cleaner.
Even moisture in any electronic connection will screw things up.
A lot of this stuff is low voltage Can-bus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Roush's tune. It is weird because it usually happens after the truck is driven for a while. I am taking it back to the dealer this week. Thanks

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust - Roush Phase II 590 HP Supercharger

OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is fixed!! It was not the speed sensor and transmission lead frame, though both parts were replaced during the first visit. The root of the problem was the wiring harness that goes from the PCM to the transmission on the passenger side. This harness is wrapped in aluminum foil and it is held by a couple of clips attached to the firewall. One of the clips was either loose or just fell off causing the harness to touch the passenger's side manifold. As the harness touches the hot manifold after the engine has been running for a while, it would cause the PCM to go out of whack as well as the speed sensor and caused the transmission to shift erratically as well as the jumpy speedo. It was great because I got to ride with my ford mechanic who was watching the symptoms thru his ford ids laptop attached to my truck's obd port. The error code was always P1500, however as we drove, he could see the speed sensor loose the signal randomly as we test drove the truck. He then installed a new clip and secure the wiring harness and the jumpy speedo needle and erratic Trans shifting are thankfully gone!!! Now I can enjoy my supercharged truck!! Thank God

Last edited: