Issue with Roll-X sealing at front of bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nemesis

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a message for all that have the Roll-X cover. This is a problem that I did not have with my first Roll-X cover and it is dumbfounding me.

The cover is not sitting on the weather stripping on the front of the bed. Actually it is not even touching the weather stripping. I have about a 3/8" to 1/2" gap. The pictures show this from the side.

I also noticed that my new cover does not have a weather strip on the underside of the front of the cover like my old one did. Not sure if that makes a difference. Everything else on the cover works great and looks great just like my previous one.

Any ideas/recommendations. I have already removed the rails and re-installed them with no difference.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 76

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Are the bolts tight that hold the cover down to the rail? Did you add any additional spacers on the plate that the aforementioned bolts go through?

OP
OP
Nemesis

Nemesis

Reaction score
No additional spacers. Just the ones that were already attached to the rails.

The 2 bolts on each side are as tight as I can get them. The washers were even bowed when I took them off.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put my new replacement cover on today and had a similar experience. Spent the better part of 3 hours trying to get it adjusted properly. I too had a 1/4" gap between the rubber strip and the cover at the front of the bed. I used the new weather stripping in conjunction with the old to fill the gap. Went as far as removing plastic spacers on the forward mounting brackets but that just made another problem even worse. So I put them back in. I also found I had a problem with the cover sitting flat at the rails towards the front. As it turns out the rivets that hold the cover mounting brackets to the rails and the strap bracket were in the way. I was able to dremel a notch in the plastic of the slats and that allowed the cover to sit flat there.

I gotta say, I do like how the new cover looks at the tailgate but Im not impressed with the quality of this new cover as I was with the old. It took 30 mins of cleaning just to get rid of all the aluminum shavings. The cover had glue on it and I found a scratch right in the middle of the cover it self. All of these are somewhat minor if looked at individually but combined it makes me think that BAK needs better quality control before letting items out their doors.

Now.. Ive got nothing but good things to say about Morrie at BAK Outlet. He helped me with my warranty issues and delivered. But its not Morries job to check each and every cover he sells. That BAK's job. So... BAK, step up your game.

Sorry for the rant....

FvilleRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my new Roll-X cover that I just installed. There is a gap at the front where the cover does not touch the weather stripping. I am thinking I just need to get a thicker piece of weather stripping at Lowes or something. I have not tried to contact BAK yet. On a positive note, I love how with this cover I don't have to open the cover to close the tailgate. That is a nice feature. If anyone figure out a solution please keep us updated.

cheesehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the newer cover too and the gap is minor, but is there. Has anyone found a suitable replacement rubber/weatherstrip to replace the one that comes with the cover. i.e. one that attaches to the cover itself, and is about twice as thick as the factory one. I think that would make a nice tight seal.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed mine about a month ago and it fits like a glove. No gaps and after a few hours in the sun all the seals laid down nicely. I did have a bunch of glue on mine but came off just running my thumbnail across it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk