is there a Service Bulleting for faulty Cam Phasers yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 17 is at the dealer right now with the 4th cam phaser failure. Ford wanted to start going further with valvetrain diagnoses before I found the right guy at Ford to agree with putting in a new long block. I had 2 different dealers do the phaser replacement, the first one gave up after #2, the second dealer (Elder Ford in Romeo Michigan) really pulled for me and backed my request for a new engine after the last attempt at a repair. My only concern and reason for tagging @FordTechOne is how can I know the new Long block will be the new version or not?

Here is what she sounded like 3 days after getting back from the dealer in mid October.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0lcqmchwnb5mwg/20201017_162423.mp4?dl=0

The noise you posted is unrelated to the cam phaser issue that the TSB corrects, which is a brief rattle on cold start. That constant knock/rattle sound can be attributed to improper installation or a base engine piling issue. Glad to hear they replaced the long block.

The updated engineering phaser part number went into production in 07/18, and the engineering part number was updated to the service level part in 10/19. So with your long block having just been installed, you should have the latest version.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had my 2018 phasers replaced, noise came back before the 1st oil change interval. Engine runs rough sometimes now too. called a few dealers including the place that did the job. Nobody wants to work on it now.

The phaser issue addressed in the TSB is unrelated to the engine running rough, so you may have something else going on. The dealer is required to honor the warranty unless there are outside factors such as damage or modifications. Call Ford Customer Service; they can assist with getting you an appointment to have it diagnosed and repaired. The phone number is in your owner’s manual.