Is the common driveline "clunk", or something else? (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VolksDragon

Reaction score
I've seemingly searched and read everything I could find, but I hadn't seen anything on experiencing the driveline clunk while moving from a stopped position, so I figured I would ask the collective gurus.

'19 Raptor crew, 1400 miles. Ever since I bought it, the read end tends to exhibit this odd clunk whenever I first move forward or backwards after shifting from park. Shifting itself is silent and clunk-free, but as soon as the truck moves, it clunks, and only once until next time I shift from park.

I would like to avoid taking it to the dealer if it's normal, so I thought I would seek understanding and try to learn something first.

If I leave the truck in park, and just manually roll it back and forth, it does it. Am I crazy? Is this the normal and much talked-about "clunk"?

THANKS!

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new 2019 Gen 2 with 1,000 miles, crew cap, mine does not do this. When i first drove it off the lot 2 weeks ago, it was clunking while down shifting when coming to a stop, but the transmission adjusted after about 50 miles and its fine now. I would go get yours checked out.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 and it has done the same thing since the day I bought it. Does it mostly from a cold start. Dealer was supposedly never able to replicate it. It was never fixed and still does it to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Begone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this exact issue - they made a software update to the transmission and it went away. I didn't believe it would, but it did.