Is Shell V Nitro power a scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean do people really care about a mile or two MPG (or any for that matter) in a Raptor pick-up? I could see geeking out on the Prius forum, but this thread is humorous.

I'm just commenting.

For the record I always use premium fuel and have never looked at my MPG.

...carry on.
I don’t cry about it on a road trip if I have to use 87, etc, but in town when I can get a little bump I opt for it.

I’ll probably get a Gen 2/3, whatever comes after as well for the better mileage since my off-road options are very limited and it’s mostly a baby hauler.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean do people really care about a mile or two MPG (or any for that matter) in a Raptor pick-up? I could see geeking out on the Prius forum, but this thread is humorous.

I'm just commenting.

Funny you say this. MPG isn't a make or break for me at least but it's fun trying to one-up the doubters about how large trucks can't get decent MPG for daily drivers. I went from a Ford V10 to a 5.0 and now TT6 so this is like freakin' Christmas morning to me every time I fill up! :Big Laugh: My dad was an accountant and tracked everything. I remember every fill-up he had this little notepad in the glove box he made me write everything down and figure mileages. Kinda in the habit now I guess :)

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm just commenting.

...carry on.
I do track my mpg on every fill up. I do it for all my vehicles. Not because I care what kind of mileage I am getting in my trucks, but because if there is a big drop in mpg over a few fill ups then something else could be wrong that is causing the change.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm just commenting.

...carry on.
It’s the reason why I’m getting a Raptor rather than a TRX.
It’s not the money, it’s the constant waste and excess. That being said, I agree I don’t spend much time checking my mpg.
Did I just out myself as an environmentalist who likes crazy trucks?!!? Hey, let’s not go that far!! :D

Last edited:

CookieMonster11b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some rough math. Skipping to the conclusion of my rough math, it costs $105 to fill up with 87 octane (before tax), and $130 to fill up with 93 octane (before tax). But 93 gives you 86 more miles because of the better mpg. The cost to drive 86 more miles with 87 is $18, so the 87 becomes 105 + 18 = 123$ for equivalent miles travelled cost.

So its 7$ more to put 93 octane in for the same miles, but the benefit is you get 50 more horsepower and the engine runs better. CONCLUSION: ALWAYS PUT 93 normal OCTANE premium. It is 100% always worth it. 7$ more per fill up for all the added benefits is worth it for 93 octane. Skip 87 like the plague. 87 shouldn't even be considered when looking at the numbers. makes no sense.

however, extra "luxury" 93 fuel like shell's fuel at $ 4.7/gal when normal 93 at sunoco is $3.6/gal is not worth it, in my opinion.

200.gif
he did the math

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the reason why I’m getting Raptor rather than a TRX.
It’s not the money, it’s the constant waste and excess. That being said, I agree I don’t spend much time checking my mpg.
Did I just out myself as an environmentalist who likes crazy trucks?!!? Hey, let’s not go that far!! :D
same here...TRX is tempting but single digit MPG is not

I'm curious if 91 octane would be a sweet spot

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some rough math. Skipping to the conclusion of my rough math, it costs $105 to fill up with 87 octane (before tax), and $130 to fill up with 93 octane (before tax). But 93 gives you 86 more miles because of the better mpg. The cost to drive 86 more miles with 87 is $18, so the 87 becomes 105 + 18 = 123$ for equivalent miles travelled cost.

So its 7$ more to put 93 octane in for the same miles, but the benefit is you get 50 more horsepower and the engine runs better. CONCLUSION: ALWAYS PUT 93 normal OCTANE premium. It is 100% always worth it. 7$ more per fill up for all the added benefits is worth it for 93 octane. Skip 87 like the plague. 87 shouldn't even be considered when looking at the numbers. makes no sense.

however, extra "luxury" 93 fuel like shell's fuel at $ 4.7/gal when normal 93 at sunoco is $3.6/gal is not worth it, in my opinion.
Are these Canadian dollars?