Is ceramic coating worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Browsing

Reaction score
I think a lot of people get confused around ceramic coating and the paint correction process. Most of what my customers pay for is the time spent on paint correction. Even brand new vehicles will require correction, much less a vehicle with mileage. There should be different package levels based on your needs and the size of the vehicle at a professional shop. A hand clay bar on a large truck can take an hour or more when done correctly. A machine compound and correct can be another few hours if necessary. A machine polish will be another few hours. You could easily wrap up 6-12 hours or more.

I’d steer clear of a wash and then application of a ceramic coating. If you’re prepared to spend the time and invest in the right equipment, you can do this yourself. That said, the right equipment to do a perfect job will land you close to the $1-2k cost but then you’ll have everything you need to do several vehicles. I started doing my own and then branched out to a few neighbors and now I’m doing a car or two every week. Truthfully, it‘s exhausting.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Use this stuff, I reapply every six months or so. Works better than the professional as it gets refreshed often. Remember all the professionally installed coatings require yearly refresh by them to keep the warranty intact.
1678814023021.png

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my truck, it's worth it.

I also feel it was worth it to have a professional do it because I don't particularly enjoy going through the detailing process. I have other things to do.

The best thing about it is it basically an additional, thicker and harder clear coat. So you can go get those desert pin stripes without as much worry. They can be polished out without reducing clear coat thickness, and a fresh layer of ceramic put on.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's worth it also. I was a detailer back in the 90's so I like to detail my own vehicles. It's therapy for me. If you have the equipment and the know-how then I say do it yourself. If not, get it professionally done.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
207k miles and nearing 20 years old, using old dated medieval age waxes, sat outside in the florida sun during my college years.
Is ceramic better? Yeah, but wax is a perfectly fine and cheap protection and honestly i didnt notice any difference in gloss. Ceramic is almost worth it for how much better the water beads for cleaning and for longer protection, but i find it makes stuff stick to it more, especially when offroad.

Love both and use both.
_nc_ohc=mVEWpu_NWjsAX9YzTbK&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do it right you DO need a lot of equipment. My random orbital cost $450. It just depends on your skill level and your appetite for learning something new. A full paint correction is incredibly time consuming and tiresome. I did mine over a long weekend and it turned out awesome, but time isn't free either.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had this for years, probably did 10-12 vehicles. If it breaks, I’ll go spend another 80 bucks, get it on sale. Use chemical guys pads and polish.
Ceramic is great, but does attract dust if you dry your vehicle.