Is ceramic coating worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I paid over 2k to have my GTR done and it was a big mistake never again. I did my RZR for $50. About to do my truck once I don't see rain in the forecast because I also park it outside and needs to cure for 5-7 days. Probably going to spend $200-300. So, like others are saying do it yourself!

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only if you do it yourself. Paint correct like normal and apply a reputable coating.

Its not half as hard as its made out to be, with newer self leveling coatings it would be very difficult to screw up. Apply in sections with an applicator pad and then wipe in after after a few minutes. You do have to be methodical as you don't want to miss leveling it and it will leave high spots.

Reaction score
Unless doing weekly waxing sessions, waxes are a waste of time. Especially if the vehicle sits outside all the time. Say what you will, it is dead technology.

Coatings aren't for everyone. Technology wise, they are leaps and bounds over waxes and sealants. Some places will oversell them (looking at you dealerships and summer pop up guys) to be protection against scratches and rock chips which aren't true. Unfortunetly, they aren't bulletproof and need to be handled a certain way.

They do provide enhanced measureable gloss (via a gloss meter, so it's not subjective), strongest protection against the sun and the elements, drastically cuts down on the time needed to wash a vehicle, slick feeling that helps to repel water and dirt, and gives you that freshly "waxed" look all the time.

Can you do it yourself? Sure, if you don't mind dropping a few hundred dollars on proper coatings, chemicals, towels, pads, polishers, etc. There are a ton of DIY coatings on the market now if you find it theraputic to do it yourself. Keep in mind though, these are "dummed" down vs pro level coatings to make them easier to install for the masses. Their longevity and stoutness often times falls short. Requiring more steps to keep it in top shape. (Generally don't have as high of concentrations of silica, teflon, graphene, etc)

To the remark of it not being worth it to pay a detailer to do it. You need to factor in lots of back end costs. Business insurance, rent/mortgage, utilities, payroll if you have employees, costs of products, any customer management software/customer aquisition, certifications, and of course experience.

It isn't brain surgery by any means, and anyone COULD do it themselves. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself is it worth risking messing up a $80k + truck to save a few bucks? How much is your time worth? Plan on several hours to days depending on your skillset. As well as do you have the proper location, lighting, and equipment? Doing coatings outside is a no go.

I may be biased since I own a business on the side and my bread and butter are coatings. I would say since I've been doing this for the better part of the last 10 years or so that easily most of my customers come back because they loved having a coating installed and want it on their new vehicle. Vehilces are only getting more expensive, so paying a small fraction of their value to protect them for years is a no brainer.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want to figure out what the best way to do my gen1 with the graphics, I worry that something will mess up the graphics if not done right.

Reaction score
I really want to figure out what the best way to do my gen1 with the graphics, I worry that something will mess up the graphics if not done right.
With graphics the most you would want to do is a light polish with little pressure. Doing too much pressure or trying to compound the areas around those graphics could damage the sides of them and cause them to lift. In addition, it is best to avoid black graphics because if you don't polish them evenly they will look different. There will be some degree of "you'll have to do the best you can" to improve the paint clairty while not causing damages to the vinyl. Spraying a dedicated panel prep on the area afterwards would help to remove any polish residue that is clinging to the edges of the graphics. You can then do a spray on sealant to wipe down the area for protection or apply a coating over the whole area to protect it and help darker the graphics somewhat. Will also protect them from UV fade and degradation.

Last edited:

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With graphics the most you would want to do is a light polish with little pressure. Doing too much pressure or trying to compound the areas around those graphics could damage the sides of them and cause them to lift. In addition, it is best to avoid black graphics because if you don't polish them evenly they will look different. There will be some degree of "you'll have to do the best you can" to improve the paint clairty while not causes damages to the vinyl. Spraying a dedicated panel prep on the area afterwards would help to remove any polish residue that is clinging to the edges of the graphics.
Probably why I'll pay someone who can handle this for sure vs me trying to wing it lol, thanks for the tip for sure !

Reaction score
Great answer- how long do they last? Before I have to take it again.
It is all conditional. Meaning, a daily driven vehicle that sites outside, depending on the wax, week or so realistically. Vehicle that is garage kept and not driven all the time - Few months depending on what conditons it is driven in, if its washed, etc.

Waxes will just sit on the surface of the vehicle and make things pop short term, but wash off easily. Sealants and coatings bond and crosslink with the clear coat to give a better end result that is much more durable and doesn't remove easily.

Waxes can be stripped with soaps. Sealants can be removed with some soaps or stronger chemicals. Coatings typically require some form of machine polishing to remove.

Kurtj29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is all conditional. Meaning, a daily driven vehicle that sites outside, depending on the wax, week or so realistically. Vehicle that is garage kept and not driven all the time - Few months depending on what conditons it is driven in, if its washed, etc.

Waxes will just sit on the surface of the vehicle and make things pop short term, but wash off easily. Sealants and coatings bond and crosslink with the clear coat to give a better end result that is much more durable and doesn't remove easily.

Waxes can be stripped with soaps. Sealants can be removed with some soaps or stronger chemicals. Coatings typically require some form of machine polishing to remove.
Sorry, I just cut your answer off for space, wanting to know how long you recommend the ceramic coating lasting before needing to reapply. (Garage kept, park in a garage at work... Live in Seattle so it only sees sun about 1 day a year. LOL well maybe 60 days a year of sun.)