iPad mount for driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pfbz

Reaction score
Pfbz,
Thanks for the info. Did you try mounting up closer to the top of the dash?

I looked for alternate mounting points, but it was hard to find anything solid in a position that would work. I first used the console mounting point with just the medium arm, and while it worked o.k., it blocked access to the forward cup holder a bit and didn't have quite the range of motion that I wanted.

With the medium arm, small arm, and double ball joint, it postions perfectly for viewing and just at the right distance for reaching the screen. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it really positions perfectly for me with very little interference or intrusion into passenger space. Plus, with it lower, you don't really see it unless you walk right up to the truck and look inside.

Some of RAM's heavy duty seat base mounts would also work, but IMHO look a bit clunky and are overkill for an iPad.

OP
OP
R

RapaTon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great info. I want to minimize passenger interference too. Is the tray that holds the iPad replaceable for future iPad or droid form factor changes?

pfbz

Reaction score
That's great info. I want to minimize passenger interference too. Is the tray that holds the iPad replaceable for future iPad or droid form factor changes?

Yes... Any of the RAM device cradles will attach to the arms.

Check out the RAM Mount website or Express Mounts (where I usually buy my RAM components from) to see all the dedicated and universal device mounts they have.

I have iPhone cradles, garmin GPS cradles, universal mounting plates, custom mounts for some of my moto equipment, etc. It is a very flexible and well engineered system.

You can also use a very similar setup with a small RAM clamp to mount an ipad to the back of the headrests for back seat passengers.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One more question....does it rotate so that it is accessible from the passenger seat?

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good iPad mount for the driver side. I want to use this with the SCT iTSX among things. I have (will have on my 2012) the navigation system so I don't want to cover that up but I'd like to have a good view from the driver's seat. Minimizing vibration movement would be ideal. Anyone out there have a good option?

Also looking for headrest iPad mounts for the rear passengers. My kids are small and I'm considering iPads in the back vs in-headrest DVD. I saw the CoulVue from Toucoul TouCoul iPad, iPhone, and iPod Accessories. These look like the telescope a bit (my kids are small so reaching out away from the headrest is a big deal. The mounts also look like they really hold the iPad firmly which would help prevent flying objects in an accident. Anyone use these or have a better option?

Thanks,

RapaTon

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered one.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered one.

Would love to hear your review on this. My seat has a fair amount of movement and without anyone sitting in the front seat things get real bouncy. It its nothing I would consider professional grade. I did go with a much cheaper option but if what you mount it to is the culprit there isn't much the mount can do. I have a couple ideas as I need to have a solid mount and also have the ability to attach larger monitors.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Easily.

Hi PFBZ great advice. Can you list out the exact part numbers you ordered from the site? I like your setup. Also I wonder what the smaller ball setup would look like, it holds 5 lbs instead of 10, perhaps less bulky but just as good?

pfbz

Reaction score
Hi PFBZ great advice. Can you list out the exact part numbers you ordered from the site? I like your setup. Also I wonder what the smaller ball setup would look like, it holds 5 lbs instead of 10, perhaps less bulky but just as good?

Lots of different ways you can put a iPad mounting solution together with RAM parts. the B-size (1") balls and arms are less expensive and are definitely strong enough, but you do get a bit more vibrationflex/bounce in it, especially if you are on a very bumpy road. The C-size (1.5") just tightens everything up. The iPad cradle works with either size, so you could reuse that part. You could even make your "double ball" with one 1.5" ball and one 1" ball, and use the heavier arm for the longer, bottom piece and a lighter arm for the short upper piece.

Here are the parts to put it together exactly as I currently have it...

ramcomponents-M.jpg