iPad mount for driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Here is the full RAM setup. It is a lot more obtrusive for the passenger but would fare much better if things got real bumpy. It can also support more weight if you decide to mount heavier device(s). The best part about ram stuff is that it is all interchangeable. The adjustable tray I used could easily be used on the other setup if you have more than one tablet that you need to mount. The iPad only holder does however look nice and light.

i-pcmrWxq-L.jpg

i-tTtck23-L.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pfbz

Reaction score
Which diamond ball did you order?

I spec'ed two of the round mounting plates (202U). One for the bottom mount, one for the back of the iPad cradle.

They make a similar piece that has a diamond shaped plate with a ball instead of a round shaped plate with a ball (238U). My guess is he used one round and one diamond, used the diamond on the ipad cradle, instead of two round plates.

202U
ram202.jpg

238U
ram238.jpg

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's right, the diamond ball fits in the iPad cradle, it has a cutout on the back for it.

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spec'ed two of the round mounting plates (202U). One for the bottom mount, one for the back of the iPad cradle.

They make a similar piece that has a diamond shaped plate with a ball instead of a round shaped plate with a ball (238U). My guess is he used one round and one diamond, used the diamond on the ipad cradle, instead of two round plates.

202U
ram202.jpg

238U
ram238.jpg

Thanks for the help, nice write up too on this thread. I have everthing ready to go just need the ball for the cradle. I missed the 2EA on the 202U and only ordered 1, oh well pay some more shipping. I am getting used to it with this truck can't stop wanting to add on.
:waytogo:

Last edited:

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the full RAM setup. It is a lot more obtrusive for the passenger but would fare much better if things got real bumpy. It can also support more weight if you decide to mount heavier device(s). The best part about ram stuff is that it is all interchangeable. The adjustable tray I used could easily be used on the other setup if you have more than one tablet that you need to mount. The iPad only holder does however look nice and light.

i-pcmrWxq-L.jpg

i-tTtck23-L.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That looks sturdy. I used to have a Panasonic Tough Book which would require something that sturdy but I am using an IPAD 2 for this truck.

pfbz

Reaction score
That's right, the diamond ball fits in the iPad cradle, it has a cutout on the back for it.

Either the round plate or diamond plate fits on the back of the cradle. I prefer the round, as it uses four mounting bolts instead of two.

OP
OP
R

RapaTon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went with mounts from proclipusa.com. I got the center dash mount where I'm going to put my iPad2 and I got the mount just to the right of the shifter for my iphone. These looked like the best options for me. I won't find out until my 2012 gets here but I'll post up pics then.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same one, I used it in my FJ Cruiser when I was doing a lot of expedition wheeling. Works really well, but shakes just a tad, however that might be because my model mounts to the passenger seat rail.

I've been using an iPad in my truck (FX4, not Raptor as you can see...) since I bought it this past Summer. I had a similar solution in my Touareg. Swap the iPad back and forth.

Love it!
Much more functionality than any factory nav, traffic, topo's, internet searching for addresses or businesses, etc.

Done with RAM mounts, C-size 1.5" balls. I've used a few different arm configurations, but I get the maximum flexibility and rock-solid stability wtha medium arm, a short arm, and a double-ball connector.

I mounted it to the center console instead of a seat bolt. Plenty strong for the iPad's weight, and less intrusive.

Perfect positioning for my to see and use when behind the wheel (yes, I pull over if I have to do anything more than a a few taps). No interference or intrusion for the passenger, they can still see and reach without any obstrucion pretty much every center stack control except the passenger heat knob. For that, they just have to look over the ipad. Of course the whole thing just swings into an alternate position with a single adjustment knob, so no big deal if you do want it out of the way.

Power is supplied via a cig. light iPad adapter in the center console, with the wire run under the front center console to the iPad. Audio is streamed from the iPad to the stock stereo via bluetooth. You could also hook it directly up to the USB, but the stock USB port will not charge an iPad.

IMG1549-L.jpg
IMG1552-L.jpg
IMG1555-L.jpg

Google traffic overlay...
IMG1568-M.jpg

My primary GPS app, MotionX Drive. Allows preloading of routes when you will be out of GPS range.
IMG1566-M.jpg

Another GPS app by the same vendor, MotionX GPS. Does not provide turn-by-turn navigation, but does allow you to pre-download extremely detailed road and topo maps.
IMG1567-M.jpg

A little more useful than sync "reading" you the weather forecast?
IMG1572-M.jpg