IOS 8.4 & Sync = No Bueno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey BABaracus, 2014RubyRed, and RDFTS,

Thanks for looping us in Crystal. iPhones with at least iOS 6 have the option to listen to text through SYNC. You must turn on SHOW NOTIFICATIONS in your device's Bluetooth settings: Text Messaging with SYNC | SYNC Help | Official Ford Owner Site You cannot send messages out no matter which version of SYNC or iPhone.

Although the article mentions MyFord Touch, the instructions are for your phone and works for all systems. It's best to check your Owner account for updates as well: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Shaay

Very cool! Thanks Shaay!!!

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
To send a text, hold the home button on your iPhone and SIRI will come thru your speakers. From there, you can tell her what to text back!

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey BABaracus, 2014RubyRed, and RDFTS,

Thanks for looping us in Crystal. iPhones with at least iOS 6 have the option to listen to text through SYNC. You must turn on SHOW NOTIFICATIONS in your device's Bluetooth settings: Text Messaging with SYNC | SYNC Help | Official Ford Owner Site You cannot send messages out no matter which version of SYNC or iPhone.

Although the article mentions MyFord Touch, the instructions are for your phone and works for all systems. It's best to check your Owner account for updates as well: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Shaay

Shaay. You missed the original problem. Read the first post.

FordIVTteam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaay. You missed the original problem. Read the first post.

Hi cups,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I saw his response earlier, but it appeared he was able to fix the issue in his updated message.

Don't update to IOS 8.4 if you still wish to use Sync... It worked half of yesterday but now just freezes. A Google search confirmed widespread issues w/ non-nav, older Sync (2012 in my case). Owner.Ford.Com shows I'm up to date with Sync software. Maybe Crystal will see this thread and magically fix it!

Fix that is working so far: I ran the Sync my iTunes on my files. There were approx. 1600 files it fixed, which is odd since before the update everything worked fine. Next step was to sync phone to iTunes, which did nothing since I had iTunes Match on. Turned that off, which deleted all music off of my phone. Then manually selected songs to sync to phone that had been cleansed w/ Sync my iTunes. Seems to be working just fine now, but lost iTunes match in the process, which may of been the problem. With Match your phone downloads everything from the Cloud, which doesn't get the Sync My iTunes treatment. So far haven't missed anything about Match, and Apple Music still appears to work without it, you just can't download any Apple Music songs for play offline.

With all that said, instead of creating Sync My iTunes they should code Sync to not fail on missing fields. That way everything you download directly to the phone, which is the way the market is now, can be used. Doesn't exactly give me much hope in the development of the Sync software... At some point I'm just going to have to buy a new Raptor to listen to music on my phone!

Plan B,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Were you able to get everything straightened out? iOS 8.4 is very new, and it is not released to us early to test it. We're getting information on issues as they come. Everyone isn't affected. If you need additional assistance, I am here.

Very cool. Learn something new every day. Tested it out and sure enough they show on the screen. I have it set to do Text to Speech but when it showed on the screen, it gave me choices of Listen, View or Delete. Is there a way to just have it do both (listen and view) without prompting for action first?

RDFTS,

You have to choose every time. That's a great idea though. I recommend going to our social site to submit your suggestion: Social.Ford.com

Shaay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Plan B

Plan B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still working since the fix. 8 hour road trip coming up...

OP
OP
Plan B

Plan B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plan B,

Perfect. Keep me posted.

Have a safe trip. :)

Shaay

Worked great for most of the trip, then I downloaded some new music off of iTunes... Now Autoplay is unavailable, it defaults to Line in instead of USB every time, sometimes Indexes, but most of the times shows 'Initializing'... There were a few times where it just wouldn't work, had to disconnect phone and once even turn the truck off/on. And last, and least, every time I get everything going again I have to re-shuffle the playlist I was listening to. Stereo doesn't seam to like shuffle on.

FordIVTteam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked great for most of the trip, then I downloaded some new music off of iTunes... Now Autoplay is unavailable, it defaults to Line in instead of USB every time, sometimes Indexes, but most of the times shows 'Initializing'... There were a few times where it just wouldn't work, had to disconnect phone and once even turn the truck off/on. And last, and least, every time I get everything going again I have to re-shuffle the playlist I was listening to. Stereo doesn't seam to like shuffle on.

Plan B,

Thanks for the update! Can you try a master reset: Perform Master Factory Reset on Ford SYNC | SYNC Help | Official Ford Owner Site If it continues after the reset, PM your full name, VIN, best contact number, and email address. I'll submit this as a research.

Shaay