Interest in an Alaska run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Prepare for mosquitos but you might get lucky. When we went one year in late July/August, the mosquitos where virtually non-existent the whole time.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mosquitos are only in wooded areas usually. once it opens up its not so bad. but where we are looking, it might be a problem depending on water

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need some fairbanks locals. anyone out there?

I might find myself in Kodiak in 2017, its very much up in the air right now, but if interest in a run still exists, we could use Anchorage as a launching point or a stop along the way (I don't know the logistics of a shuttle/ferry between Kodiak and Anchorage).

After watching Expedition Overland in Alaska and the Yukon I'm super down for it, even if I have to ship from Honolulu to Seattle or Vancouver and drive up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a bit from a logistical standpoint...

You guys will have stop somewhere along the way for an oil change, or two.... depends on where you may be starting from.

Two spare tires are a must
At least 10 gallons of gas
Gps
Vhf radio
Trauma /first aid

What else are you guys thinking?

Depends on where everyone is planning to go, but in general, a spare 5 gal can just in case will be enough. Most of the spots will have fuel that is flown, or trucked in because if we need fuel after driving there, so does everyone else. It won't be cheap, but it is much less hassle than trying to bring a bunch extra. Two spares isn't a bad plan but honestly you could get away with one and get a replacement in town if you loose a tire. Many of the gravel roads are washed rock or rounded gravel rather than sharp shale. Washer fluid would be good but again, I would just re-stock in between days along with food, drinks and fuel. Oil changes could happen here in Anchorage after arrival or before heading back so you didn't have to get them done in Canada. I would be happy to assist and lend my garage/ driveway to anyone who wanted to do it themselves.

akmedic77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Milepost would be a good reference for those that are curious as to what would be available on the highway. It provides good references as to food and fuel locations and what will be open. We have a few of them on the shelf from other trips that family has taken. They put one out every year.

I've done the trip from MT twice (once in May and another in February) and we were okay for fuel both times. The first was in an '01 Grand Prix, and the second in a '08 F350 w/a 50 gal reserve diesel tank. We didn't touch the extra diesel until the end of our trip between the last fuel stop and Tok. We still had plenty that we would have been fine without it, but then that was in February.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on where everyone is planning to go, but in general, a spare 5 gal can just in case will be enough. Most of the spots will have fuel that is flown, or trucked in because if we need fuel after driving there, so does everyone else. It won't be cheap, but it is much less hassle than trying to bring a bunch extra. Two spares isn't a bad plan but honestly you could get away with one and get a replacement in town if you loose a tire. Many of the gravel roads are washed rock or rounded gravel rather than sharp shale. Washer fluid would be good but again, I would just re-stock in between days along with food, drinks and fuel. Oil changes could happen here in Anchorage after arrival or before heading back so you didn't have to get them done in Canada. I would be happy to assist and lend my garage/ driveway to anyone who wanted to do it themselves.

If they stick completely to the main roads from town to town, I completely agree. But as soon as they start taking some trails (if they find any) gas could get scarce.

Sure a spare tire can be bought in say Fairbanks, but that may still be two days away depending on the route they take. Having two is a good idea.

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true Joe. But honestly, there aren't many "trails" that are Raptor friendly around here. Most are very tight, very swampy, and pretty short. I'm not saying some couldn't be found, but most of them would nearly guarantee body damage and you would spend a lot more of your day winching from stuck to stuck than actually traveling. I wheeled up here in a CJ-5 and second gen Toyota pickup for years. I had a great time but it's nothing I would do in my Raptor.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true Joe. But honestly, there aren't many "trails" that are Raptor friendly around here. Most are very tight, very swampy, and pretty short. I'm not saying some couldn't be found, but most of them would nearly guarantee body damage and you would spend a lot more of your day winching from stuck to stuck than actually traveling. I wheeled up here in a CJ-5 and second gen Toyota pickup for years. I had a great time but it's nothing I would do in my Raptor.

quit being part of the problem and be part of the solution. find the trails that we can take a raptor down. jeez.......... im working on stuff to put together for this alaska run. i would like to enlist the help of locals for some insider info.