Intercooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yeah I have adaptive. Guess I’m left with Whipple or Wagner. Thanks for the advice.

If you have no plans to switch to an aftermarket bumper, then you could switch to the full race and run the BD 30".

You don't HAVE to relo the Adaptive cruise module unless you are going aftermarket and said aftermarket bumper relies on the ADD/Full race relocation bracket.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was an issue on 11-14 3.5 ecoboost engines and Ford issued a few TSBs to fix. The problem was that while driving, the ambient air and the intercooler air were so drastically different (intercooler worked very well) that moisture formed inside while driving. When the driver needed to accelerate quickly and get into boost, the water was forced through blowing out spark. Ford had so many complaints that the government got involved and ford added intercooler blockoff plates and changed the computer tune. They found this was not a true solution, and it seems they are still working it out. There are some reports of this on the 15+ Ecoboost, but not as common.
Since the Ford design/fix was not fully solving the problem, owners drilled a small 1/16” weep hole which evacuated the crap inside the intercooler on acceleration. This fixed the problem every time and became a staple for owners. I think this fix was devised in 2013/2014 and is well known. Skeptics can’t believe anyone would want to create a boost leak, but it was proven to be a very, very minimal boost leak. It never caused any mechanical or performance problems. For these new trucks, I would not drill the weep hole - force ford to fix any misfire or acceleration shudder/vibration.

Ok I can buy the issues Ford was chasing with the block off plates and tune. I had the same issues with my wife’s Maserati when we first got it. Ended up being a moisture sensor in the intake that was causing the computer to create a bad fuel mix which caused a misfire. As for having enough moisture in an inter cooler to cause hydro lock or misfire I question their problem solving on the issue.

Next for an owner or a shop to drill a hole in the boost line to remove the excess moisture is a bit on the unbelievable side. The additional side effects would cause more damage that the little amount of moisture that would have built up. I have spoken with several race engine builders and they laughed at the idea. They also stated that a hole that size would also create a kettle effect if there was to be moisture. Hence your engine would have a constant little whistle.

To each his own, I just find this highly unlikely to fix a moisture issue. I can say with the turbo vehicles I currently own and have owned we would have never drilled a hole in a boost line such as this.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Ok I can buy the issues Ford was chasing with the block off plates and tune. I had the same issues with my wife’s Maserati when we first got it. Ended up being a moisture sensor in the intake that was causing the computer to create a bad fuel mix which caused a misfire. As for having enough moisture in an inter cooler to cause hydro lock or misfire I question their problem solving on the issue.

Next for an owner or a shop to drill a hole in the boost line to remove the excess moisture is a bit on the unbelievable side. The additional side effects would cause more damage that the little amount of moisture that would have built up. I have spoken with several race engine builders and they laughed at the idea. They also stated that a hole that size would also create a kettle effect if there was to be moisture. Hence your engine would have a constant little whistle.

To each his own, I just find this highly unlikely to fix a moisture issue. I can say with the turbo vehicles I currently own and have owned we would have never drilled a hole in a boost line such as this.

Agree that the solution is shocking, but it solved the f150 problem. Owners were sick and tired of misfires when they went to accelerate. The hole was able to allow the buildup a way to get out before causing misfire. Somewhere in my research, I found where someone calculated how much fluid it would take to hydrolock the engine. Surprisingly, it wasn’t much.

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't be baited and misled by the user calling himself MGD. He is really sasquatch77 who was banned from here for his weep hole lies and constant pattern of trolling.

He lies like a wall to wall carpet.
First, he's not old enough to vote, enlist, get a driver's license or learner's permit. Obviously, he's not got a master's degree either. He does not have any kind of employment, and mooches off his mom while goofing off.

If you look at his post history, and then compare to sasquatch77, it's easy to see they're the same. MGD is just a delinquent troll.

Do not give any credibility to anything MGD types.