intake air temps with K&N 77-2579KTK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
i recently hooked up my foxwell scanner to read some live data just to see a few things. I have the K&N "cold air" system on my truck (came with it when i bought it) and decided to look at the IAT's... kinda surprised me, but then again, not surprised.

I found the the idle intake air temps on a 90* day were about 140*F... and while driving, 95-100*F...
now im not new to cars or racing, or modifying for that matter. I have a BMW M3 that has a motor swap with CSL intake conversion and have monitored IAT's like crazy. In that car my idle IAT's are 2* above ambient consistantly.. and while driving, ambient.

has anyone with a STOCK SVT Raptor intake system ever monitored IAT's? if so what are they? this K&N system uses a metal intake tube, sits over the engine so no doubt thats heat soaking. I want to change back to either stock with the plastic/rubber intake tubes, or possibly the S&B intake system with the sealed filter and plastic intake tubes.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My gen1 is 140+ at idle and at ambient while driving . At idle there is hardly any air movement intake temps go up from engine heat. Whipple SC . The Mass Air meter reads IAT . Need to find a Cold air kit that keeps IAT within 1 degree of ambient while moving that's best your going to do. My Gen2 is same140+ idle but about 10 degrees higher than ambient while driving Stock intake. I am working on a ram air type scoop off a BMW to mount in grill and push air into GEN2 air intake stream . See if it will drop to ambient while driving.

Attachments

• 20210913_071643.jpg
    20210913_071643.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also own a 03 cobra and in that world what Raptor peeps call a CAI is a RAI, bit of a misnomer really, little ram airing going on, but in essence big filter under the hood sucking under hood hot air... CAI in the cobra world is reserved for intakes that suck air from outside of the engine bay, either with the filter in the fender well or a completed sealed air box under the hood sucking through the fender well... the only true CAI I'm aware of for Raptors is the S&B unit...

Of note, sitting still you can still see elevated temps even sucking from the fender well, that air coming off the road on a hot summer day at a traffic light is pretty warm...

r/
agp

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW’s tuners have been selling those “ram air diverters” for years and the only thing they do is divert cash from your wallet. Just maybe you get somepositive effect on NA motors but I doubt it. I had them on my E60 550msport and on my E90 M3 and honestly did nothing. Your TiVo’s will suck much harder than what “ram air effect” would every obtain.

The one question I always have is why make the intake so restrictive that you loose poser which in turn reduces MPG which hurts the company on epa ratings. Why does Ford not have the air box breath better? Are they just helping after market companies?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i recently hooked up my foxwell scanner to read some live data just to see a few things. I have the K&N "cold air" system on my truck (came with it when i bought it) and decided to look at the IAT's... kinda surprised me, but then again, not surprised.

I found the the idle intake air temps on a 90* day were about 140*F... and while driving, 95-100*F...
now im not new to cars or racing, or modifying for that matter. I have a BMW M3 that has a motor swap with CSL intake conversion and have monitored IAT's like crazy. In that car my idle IAT's are 2* above ambient consistantly.. and while driving, ambient.

has anyone with a STOCK SVT Raptor intake system ever monitored IAT's? if so what are they? this K&N system uses a metal intake tube, sits over the engine so no doubt thats heat soaking. I want to change back to either stock with the plastic/rubber intake tubes, or possibly the S&B intake system with the sealed filter and plastic intake tubes.
I have an NGauge and monitor IAT as well. The stock airbox does a pretty good job drawing in outside air, but on a 90+ day at extended idle I have seen IAT hit 125-135. Once moving it will drop to within 5-10F of ambiant temp.
I have mentioned this in a couple other posts, but at SEMA one year I met a bunch of the engineers as well as Greg Foutz who worked on the Raptor R project (Gen 1) and they said the stock set up would flow enough air for 500HP. Unless your are forced induction, I see no reason to add hot air with a K&N type setup.

OP
OP
T3amfish

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
Yeah this K&N intake came with the truck, I just bought a stock lower air box, not sure what to do about the top, I don’t want to run that dorky looking stock baffle