GEN 2 I ordered this to dry my cars.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is my final setup. Kept it kinda mobile so i could take it with me if i ever wanted. However, I'm still getting some light spots if i let it dry on its own... They easily come out with a quick detailer spray, so it's not the typical "hard spot". If i give it a quick wipe when wet all is good. I should probably post some pics. Any ideas of what i should do?

6fc75fa7fb06e02a461edeefb59665ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What type of filter is in each of those canisters? One would think with that many filters, you'd be all set.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What type of filter is in each of those canisters? One would think with that many filters, you'd be all set.

So from left to right (in to out)
-Culligan P5A Standard Duty Sediment Replacement Filter
-Culligan SCWH-5 Univeral Fit Whole Home Carbon Water Filter
-Pentek 155319-03 Ws-10 10" Water Softening Cartridge

After thinking about it, maybe that softener is leaving the spots. Gunna pull it and see

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So from left to right (in to out)
-Culligan P5A Standard Duty Sediment Replacement Filter
-Culligan SCWH-5 Univeral Fit Whole Home Carbon Water Filter
-Pentek 155319-03 Ws-10 10" Water Softening Cartridge

After thinking about it, maybe that softener is leaving the spots. Gunna pull it and see

If anything, the softener would be helping more than the others regarding spotting. A softener is supposed to keep the minerals from clinging to each other and causing the build up.

Also, what sort of coupler do you have inbetween those filters to get them so close to eachother?

THX!

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If anything, the softener would be helping more than the others regarding spotting. A softener is supposed to keep the minerals from clinging to each other and causing the build up.

Also, what sort of coupler do you have inbetween those filters to get them so close to eachother?

THX!

Got em at Lowe's. I think the size is 3/4 mip to 3/4 mip. And the length not sure, but it wasn't the shortest. That would've been too close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro315ff85869ebc2d6b83161ccad8a8513.jpg

Also removed the soft water filter and it was worse. The spots i was seeing where very small and easily removed. These are waaay worse lol244cb45f02ac2647ac4c8dd8a797acb9.jpg

Last edited:

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got em at Lowe's. I think the size is 3/4 mip to 3/4 mip. And the length not sure, but it wasn't the shortest. That would've been too close

Also removed the soft water filter and it was worse. The spots i was seeing where very small and easily removed. These are waaay worse lol

Unfortunately, those filters will not do anything to prevent spots.

For an explanation why, check out this post:

Post #48 in this thread

Last edited:

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Anything under 40-30 TDS is considered spot free. Zero tds deionized water I guess in a better term to put it. Is "hungry". It's so pure it wants to soak something up. Reverse osmosis where I live takes my 360 tds tap water after water softener down to 1-4 tds which is very spot free. You can google tds required for spot free. And almost every website says anything under 40 tds is considered spot free.
Not to argue with you as I have a reef setup also to wash cars and I chased the zero tds myself. And have personally watched rubber dry and crack very prematurely from using 0tds water. As soon as I went to purely ro and kept the tds under 10. Haven't had a problem since

I am not sure why you had an issue on the rubber trim with 0 TDS water. There could be a number of issues that caused the rubber to dry out.

For your consideration, I would make the following observation.

Assuming someone washed their truck once a week, and it took an hour. Over the course of a year, that would be 52 hours of exposing the plastic and rubber trim to 0 TDS deionized water. This would be about 0.6% of the total time, not much at all.

Now, compare that to the all the plastic and rubber materials on my detailing cart. I built this cart over three years ago, and I never drain the water out of it. That means that the plastic and rubber in the filters themselves, the cheap Sears rubber garden hose, the rubber pressure washer hose between the pump and the hose reel, the PVC pressure washer hose to the gun, and all the rubber seals in the pressure washer, the hose reel, and all the fittings, have all been exposed to 0 TDS deionized water 24/7/365, 100% of the time, for three years. And not one single o-ring, hose, fitting, or any other plastic or rubber material has shown any issue with that amount of exposure to the DI water.

20150828_134159.jpg

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the CR Spotless, and won't wash anything without it. It makes washing easier, I don't have to rush, or work around the temps or sun/shade.

And not towel drying means less chance for swirls.

I run the CR Spotless and use it for the entire wash process during the summer months, so I don't have to worry about heat or sun, or trying to hurry before the wash water dries. I got about 12 complete washes out of the resin, which makes for some pretty high ongoing costs.

During this past winter, I only used the DI water for the final rinse and used regular water for the pre-rinse and with the foam cannon for washing. This worked fine as it was often overcast and cool, or just plain cold. Only using the DI water for the final rinse makes the resin last longer, lowering the cost per wash.

The life of the resin also depends on how hard your water is. Mine is not too hard, about 140 ppm. If you are interested in a DI system, first test your water and then use their tables to figure out how many gallons you will get for each resin refill. The last thing you would want to do is drop the big money on the unit only to find that the cost per wash is too high. If you don't want to buy a TDS meter to check your water hardness, you may also try to find someplace that will test a sample, like a store that sells water softeners.

Here's a link to the info on the CR Spotless and there is a table showing the total gallons that can be made based on your hardness. The big variable is how many gallons you would use for each wash.

https://crspotless.com/spotless-water-faqs/

An important thing to remember is that you need to check to make sure the resin is still working when you finish each wash. The CR Spotless unit has a built-in TDS (total dissolved solids) meter, which will read 000 when the resin is good, which means the water has no minerals in it. When you start to see numbers on the meter, it is time to replace the resin. Checking it after each wash also lets you know if you need to completely dry the car so it does not spot. The resin could be fine at your last wash, but then start to get exhausted during the current wash. The last thing you want is to assume the filters are working, only to come back later and find water spots that have to be polished off.

I will also point out that even though you can leave a soaking wet vehicle out in the sun to air dry on not get hard water spots (ie minerals left behind from regular tap water), I did find early on that leaving that much water on the vehicle tends to collect airborne dust in the pooled water and water drops, which then can be seen later. I also found that the water left in the nooks and crannies often contains soap residue, and having this drip out while it is drying results in visible drip-trails. For this reason, I use the Master Blaster (and previously used the Sidekick), to get about 90% of the water off, and to blow out the nooks and crannies, then let the rest dry.

Only downside is the cost of the resin, but the resin cost has actually dropped in price since CR Spotless started their recycling program.

While I have not logged specific usage, I typically replace the resin about 2-3x per year, and that is using it on two vehicles.

Also, they have just released a newer version that is an improvement. It has a more stable housing, and uses color-indicating resin so that you know when the filters are getting close to being spent, without having to check the meter.

If you are going to get one, get the newer version:

https://simplechuck.com/product/double-chuck-dark-blue/

There are additional considerations you should make before investing this amount of money. First and foremost is to test your water, so you can see how hard it is. Having fairly hard water (over 200ppm or so) increases your ongoing costs for resin.

I read every word very informative, question, the last link to the simple chuck. Is that a complete system ready to go? Just plug the hose in and wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk