I may be a possible Raptor owner soon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not actually comparing it to a Gen 1. Just comparing a 500hp motor to the cars I currently own.

My BMW 650i with a TT 4.4 V8 that makes 420 ft/pounds@ 2000 rpms or my Range Rover SC 5.0 that makes 516 ft lbs at 3500 rpms ( 478 @ 2000 rpms).

A fair comparison? Probably not but HP does not tell the whole tale.

Again, you are making my point. Jumping on a Ford raptor forum and asking why a Gen 2 Raptor feels slower than other cars in your life is silly.

"Why does a Raptor feel slower than an F12 TDF? Or a McLaren P1? Maybe I don't want the Raptor then. Please discuss"

BTW, a 15 second google search says your 4.4T is only making 325 ft-lbs at 2500 rpms. And that's in the X6 50. The X6M is about the same also.

http://www.benzboost.com/images/imported/2011/05/X6Mvs50iDynoJPG-1.jpg

My Schnell

Reaction score
What are your goals w/ the truck? Why be so concerned about torque below 2500rpm? My E90 M3 has less torque, but is way more responsive to throttle input at any RPM, and, I have never compared that to my Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor's feel/throttle response.

The gearing in the Gen 2 will ensure that you would never have issues w/ torque needs. Also, I was super impressed at the truck's rock crawling capability, both in high and low x-fer cases. Too bad you cannot attend the Raptor Assault because, I know that you would have zero concerns about the torque.

Bottom Line, the Gen 2 is far above anything my Gen 1 could do. It's drivability still astonishes me after a year of ownership.

My complaints are limited to the dimming function at twilight and/or dusk/dawn and the trailer BLIS turns itself on every fifth start or so (I just want it to stay in regular BLIS.) The drivetrain is leaps and bounds better than the Gen 1 and has a nice feeling of exclusivity compared to other F-150s / Ford products, which as a Ford Performance product, it should...much like my ///M

OP
OP
B

Blkz06

Reaction score
Again, you are making my point. Jumping on a Ford raptor forum and asking why a Gen 2 Raptor feels slower than other cars in your life is silly.

"Why does a Raptor feel slower than an F12 TDF? Or a McLaren P1? Maybe I don't want the Raptor then. Please discuss"

BTW, a 15 second google search says your 4.4T is only making 325 ft-lbs at 2500 rpms. And that's in the X6 50. The X6M is about the same also.

http://www.benzboost.com/images/imported/2011/05/X6Mvs50iDynoJPG-1.jpg

I’m not making a speed comparison-again, please understand what I’m saying. I am comparing seat of the pants feel. I’m not bashing the Raptor or the Echo motor.

Also I have a 650i not an X6. Completely different. https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/6-series/specs/2017/6-series-Coupe/383577#specifications

I’m not here to argue with you. You think my post is stupid, that’s fine. Plenty of other threads for you to participate in.

OP
OP
B

Blkz06

Reaction score
What are your goals w/ the truck? Why be so concerned about torque below 2500rpm? My E90 M3 has less torque, but is way more responsive to throttle input at any RPM, and, I have never compared that to my Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor's feel/throttle response.

The gearing in the Gen 2 will ensure that you would never have issues w/ torque needs. Also, I was super impressed at the truck's rock crawling capability, both in high and low x-fer cases. Too bad you cannot attend the Raptor Assault because, I know that you would have zero concerns about the torque.

Bottom Line, the Gen 2 is far above anything my Gen 1 could do. It's drivability still astonishes me after a year of ownership.

My complaints are limited to the dimming function at twilight and/or dusk/dawn and the trailer BLIS turns itself on every fifth start or so (I just want it to stay in regular BLIS.) The drivetrain is leaps and bounds better than the Gen 1 and has a nice feeling of exclusivity compared to other F-150s / Ford products, which as a Ford Performance product, it should...much like my ///M

Thanks for the constructive response. I’m not overly concerned with the torque of the Raptor. I just felt it to be a bit lacking off idle driving around town. Again, I’m comparing it to the other vehicles I drive with V8s. And again, it just might be something you have to get used to.

It’s not a make or break deal for me, and already I feel good with the responses being posted in here that because it’s a TT it does take a little while to get used to it.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the constructive response. I’m not overly concerned with the torque of the Raptor. I just felt it to be a bit lacking off idle driving around town. Again, I’m comparing it to the other vehicles I drive with V8s. And again, it just might be something you have to get used to.

It’s not a make or break deal for me, and already I feel good with the responses being posted in here that because it’s a TT it does take a little while to get used to it.

OK since you seem like a decent guy, I'll try and help.

The off-idle throttle response has nothing to do with the torque delivery. It's the fly by wire throttle calibration in normal mode. If you stick it in sport mode, it's much better. Better yet, you buy a $250 pedal commander and fine tune it as you please. Or spend $500-600 and get a tune that recalibrates the fly by wire throttle as well.

Every AMG, M or Porsche I have had has had poor/dull fly by wire calibration from factory. Its a very easy fix and one of the first things people do. Hell, I bought a vitesse throttle controller for my C7 as well for the same reason. Modern emissions, liability... multiple possible reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blkz06

Reaction score

The off-idle throttle response has nothing to do with the torque delivery. It's the fly by wire throttle calibration in normal mode. If you stick it in sport mode, it's much better. Better yet, you buy a $250 pedal commander and fine tune it as you please. Or spend $500-600 and get a tune that recalibrates the fly by wire throttle as well.

Every AMG, M or Porsche I have had has had poor/dull fly by wire calibration from factory. Its a very easy fix and one of the first things people do. Hell, I bought a vitesse throttle controller for my C7 as well for the same reason. Modern emissions, liability... multiple possible reasons.

Well...I appreciate that!

If you want to talk torque, I have never had a more favorite car than my (now sold) 2011 Z06 vette with the 7.0 liter motor. A true basic flatline torque curve capable of smoking the tires from 1200 RPMS and on.

So I guess what you're saying is there is a fix for the slight lack of my percieved torque down low on the Raptor.

Thats great to know. Seriously.

My Schnell

Reaction score
Throttle Cal yes, but also the transmission. The trans, in normal mode, is in the highest possible gear, which causes a lag. RPM <1500 cruising around

When I am in sport or manual (trans a little slow to respond, but workable, don't expect DSG/DCT type response) the seat of the pants feel is great.

Also, it'a big heavy truck ... you'll be surprised how quickly you get up and go, sometimes, it'll catch you out. It is also a comfortable truck which makes it feel slower than it actually is. It's fun messing around w/ WRXs and other hot hatches/sedans.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I take my hat off to you. This was incredibly patient of you to see through the incredibly poor presentation by the OP which felt like nonsense magazine racing and actually provide useful information. I am actually shocked.

As an aside I think I’m the only person who really likes the normal throttle response of the Gen2. I tried the Pedal Commander and ended up realizing I like just sauntering around town which I got from the factory setup. And when I wanna be more spirited I just push further and quicker on the pedal (or use sport mode to get real weird). I understand the appeal, but didn’t feel like it was for me.

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time will tell.

The only thing time is going to tell is which gang is going bend you over the prison bed, mister delinquent loser. Mom's going to find out you're trolling again tan your hide like last time.