GEN 2 HRE / R1 Racing BBK installed and review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, most definitely. Not for everyone, but Jayrods' truck makes good power on top of the looks, so not as much of a poser as mine is. He has some ooomph to back it up.

Looks outstanding I love the black and yellow! Did you get those babies bedded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I went out and did it the way I've always done my racing brakes. I'm not sure what the manufacturer asks for, but I did the 'ol wail on 'em from 30 and 50 to a roll a couple times, then a 80 to a roll and let them cool a while. That woke 'em up pretty good. I have to say they do a good job of hauling a 6000 pound brick down from speed. And a **** of a lot better than the stock binders.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I went out and did it the way I've always done my racing brakes. I'm not sure what the manufacturer asks for, but I did the 'ol wail on 'em from 30 and 50 to a roll a couple times, then a 80 to a roll and let them cool a while. That woke 'em up pretty good. I have to say they do a good job of hauling a 6000 pound brick down from speed. And a **** of a lot better than the stock binders.

Yeah directions were basically that plus a 100mph stop ummm I didn't do that one lol.

Reaction score
I've done some research. I am not intending to harass or troll anyone.

R1 is indeed a popular brand but is not always highlighted in good light (there are plenty of happy customers also).

Links where the info was found:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7321716#/topics/542421?page=2

and that leads to:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/brake-discussion/9653-killer-deal-300c-300-cross-drilled-slotted-rotors.html#/topics/9653?page=1

Couple of my takes (I do not claim it to be facts but this is what I tend to believe now):
1) Rotors should not be drilled and slotted simultaneously. I tried to look for Brembo of this nature and did not find one. The TRD BBK is slotted only. You can find some images of Stoptech both sloted and drilled at low price point, did not digg too deep to see if they are genuine. I trust Toyota and BMW with their choice of supplier. They have plenty at stake to pick carefully.
2) R1 is not OEM (unlike Brembo or Stoptech).
3) R1 uses false advertising. They do claims through their marketing not backed by facts and experiments or research data.
When you google their brand almost every link will mention them as OEM.
This is an example, where they call their "blank" rotors OEM.

https://www.r1concepts.com/blog/how-to-choose-the-right-brake-rotor-pattern/

4) R1 started as or used to be a cheaper alternative to OEM parts. Now they sell expensive kits that claim to be better then stock. However they are not even telling the origin of their parts.

5) SEMA. Aren't those vehicles sponsored and designed for advertising purposes? They all do look good.

6) Comparing 2 kits on the market for 17" wheels, Alcon and R1, Alcon seems to be used on the actual rally builds. Yet I am not convinced with them either until I can find some backup that it is indeed better and safer than stock. An expensive upgrade shoud not be a downgrade in my book.

7) I am not trying to say, that R1 Concept kit available is bad. Just saying I was not able to find cold facts, and what I managed to find makes me feel very skeptical to invest in one.

All in all I like how BBK looks and have good experience with it on another vehicle, but for the Raptor at this price point, it must provide some better value and safety on the road (should be sold by Ford Performance in perfect world like those Borla made exhausts).

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford made a great truck, but the stopped short on the brakes. No pun intended. I hope ford fixes this on the next refresh. When Im hard on the brakes, I want better stopping. For normal stops the factory brakes are ok.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some research. I am not intending to harass or troll anyone.

R1 is indeed a popular brand but is not always highlighted in good light (there are plenty of happy customers also).

Links where the info was found:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7321716#/topics/542421?page=2

and that leads to:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/br...illed-slotted-rotors.html#/topics/9653?page=1

Couple of my takes (I do not claim it to be facts but this is what I tend to believe now):

1) Rotors should not be drilled and slotted simultaneously. I tried to look for Brembo of this nature and did not find one. The TRD BBK is slotted only. You can find some images of Stoptech both sloted and drilled at low price point, did not digg too deep to see if they are genuine. I trust Toyota and BMW with their choice of supplier. They have plenty at stake to pick carefully.

2) R1 is not OEM (unlike Brembo or Stoptech).

3) R1 uses false advertising. They do claims through their marketing not backed by facts and experiments or research data.

When you google their brand almost every link will mention them as OEM.

This is an example, where they call their "blank" rotors OEM.

https://www.r1concepts.com/blog/how-to-choose-the-right-brake-rotor-pattern/

4) R1 started as or used to be a cheaper alternative to OEM parts. Now they sell expensive kits that claim to be better then stock. However they are not even telling the origin of their parts.

5) SEMA. Aren't those vehicles sponsored and designed for advertising purposes? They all do look good.

6) Comparing 2 kits on the market for 17" wheels, Alcon and R1, Alcon seems to be used on the actual rally builds. Yet I am not convinced with them either until I can find some backup that it is indeed better and safer than stock. An expensive upgrade shoud not be a downgrade in my book.

7) I am not trying to say, that R1 Concept kit available is bad. Just saying I was not able to find cold facts, and what I managed to find makes me feel very skeptical to invest in one.

All in all I like how BBK looks and have good experience with it on another vehicle, but for the Raptor at this price point, it must provide some better value and safety on the road (should be sold by Ford Performance in perfect world like those Borla made exhausts).

I did a ton of research as well on R1 check this comparison out by a well respected BMW member.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262940

You don't have to trust me nor Truckzor who has a similar experience to me. Go spend 9k on the BBK from Brembo for the 17 Raptor. You will A. Have your piece of mind and B. Not have to worry about stopping power.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, I guess I will answer to a couple of these statements..
1- the e46 and 300c rooms are going to be as full of opinion as any place on the net. Mix in a teaspoon of fact here and there and you have the same shit as anywhere, with a sprinkle of snob built in.
2- As far as I can tell, these rotors aren't slotted, just drilled. Maybe they make a combo, but I agree that is not advised anywhere but ricer rooms.

3- The kit they offer has 8 pot front calipers and 6 pot rears. Whoever makes them, and however they advertise them could be two different things. What I see is a set of brakes that WAY outperform the factory units, and cost 3K less than the Brembos that do the same damn thing. Alcon makes brakes for a lot of off road teams, and though I don't have any experience with them personally, I have to believe they are a top tier product.
4- I'm not saying it's a perfect setup, far from it. But I am not trying to stop a racecar, or heat cycle the living shit out of the brakes on a road coarse every weekend. If I was needing that kind of performance, I would go Brembo, hands down, in fact I have.

Reaction score
Thanks Jayrod and Shelteredraptor.
I am not going Brembo as they are too expensive and as they do not seem to have a kit for 17".

I just googled Alcon test data.
Some good things pop up:
http://www.alcon.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Alcon_Cat_2016-17_Interactive.pdf

I actually did not know they are OEM with some manufacturers.

The price is in between R1 and Brembo but none of them are cheap. I am also looking just for front pair.

Your R1 kits look good and hope they'll meet your expectation in a long run. If I do get Alcons I'll keep you updated.