GEN 2 HRE / R1 Racing BBK installed and review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
You guys are in luck. #1. R1Concepts does offer a BBK to fit 17" wheels and up. The kit that fits 17's has 6 piston calipers up front and 4 piston calipers in the rear, 345mm one or two piece rotors, your choice of rotor hat and caliper color (about 32 different color combinations).

For those that don't want to wait, I can help you now to get your order started. For those that are skiddish about the kit, I have the 17" wheel kit on order for my 2014 Raptor as we speak, although it may be another 3 weeks or so before it arrives for installation and review.

Hi. I plan to be in the BBK market in a couple of months.

Would really appreciate your input on these 2 questions:

1) Alcan vs R1Concept. I am afraid that none of them can be compared to Brembo which are used as factory on a lot of high end cars. I am looking only for a kit to work with bead lock wheels. Was not aware of anyone other than Alcan making one until now.
I have a BBK on my Tundra for almost 5 years now which is done by StopTech and have no issues with it, apart from inconvenience of ordering pads and rotors (rarely) all over the place. Again this is a factory installed piece and I am just worried about long term performance of after market kits made by firms I've never heard about. I have to justify the cost, as the rotor size stays almost identical and 3K + installation for just a set of 6 piston red calipers is not cheap.
Obviously most of us won't "need" one, but I really like the feel on a current truck compared to ones without it. I do not want to feel downgrade in any aspect in a 70K vehicle.

2) Price for R1Concept front. I am not a fan of rear as it has almost no effect on braking (at least that's how I understand the physics of empty bed).

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Jayrod

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1) Alcan vs R1Concept. I am afraid that none of them can be compared to Brembo which are used as factory on a lot of high end cars. I am looking only for a kit to work with bead lock wheels. Was not aware of anyone other than Alcan making one until now.

I have a BBK on my Tundra for almost 5 years now which is done by StopTech and have no issues with it, apart from inconvenience of ordering pads and rotors (rarely) all over the place. Again this is a factory installed piece and I am just worried about long term performance of after market kits made by firms I've never heard about. I have to justify the cost, as the rotor size stays almost identical and 3K + installation for just a set of 6 piston red calipers is not cheap.

Obviously most of us won't "need" one, but I really like the feel on a current truck compared to ones without it. I do not want to feel downgrade in any aspect in a 70K vehicle.

2) Price for R1Concept front. I am not a fan of rear as it has almost no effect on braking (at least that's how I understand the physics of empty bed).

Thanks in advance.

Brembo are not the best Brake on the market. Depends what you are going for. There are dozen of article that support what I'm saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Would love to hear back about weight savings.

Did a total weight difference, R1 kit is roughly 160lbs while Factory is around 230lbs weighed all together in an empty box. Factory is about twice the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The retail price for the kit to fit 17" wheels is $4352 plus shipping.

Price depends on the size of the kit/rims being purchased.

Here is a break down of the retail prices for the kits available.

Front:

17" wheels - 345mm(12.99") 6 Piston - $2183
18" wheels - 356mm(14.02") 6 Piston - $2453
19-20" wheels - 380mm(14.96") 8 Piston - $3150
20" and up wheels - 405mm(15.94") 8 Piston - $3269 (NOTE: The 405mm rotor size is a tight fit on 20's)

Rear:

17" wheels - 345mm(13.58") 4 Piston - $2169
18' wheels - 356mm(14.02") 4 Piston - $2237
18" wheels - 356mm(14.02") 6 Piston - $2322
19" wheels - 365mm(14.37") 6 Piston - $2406
20" and up wheels - 380mm(14.96") 6 Piston - $2497

Retail prices do not normally include shipping if ordered directly from R1Concepts.

Thanks in advance.

For retail pricing, check the quoted post above. As for comparing Alcon, Brembo, Stoptech, Baer, R1Concepts, etc. All of them are good companies, all of them have been around for a while. R1Concepts has been in business for 13 years, I have been working with them since 2009 after trying their OEM bolt on replacement rotors and pads and having them outlast and out perform the EBC, Hawk, Stoptech and other brand brake parts I had tried previously.

I do not promote a product I am not ready to stand behind and I don't stand behind products, companies or manufacturers just because of their name, I do so because of the quality of their products and the level of their customer service to me as an authorized dealer.

Their regular brake packages have performed for me and hundreds of my customers over the years and their BBK's are very well known out west. You should see the presence of R1Concepts BBK's on SEMA builds every November. The quality of their products is second to none in my book.

That being said, did you say $3000 for the installation of the BBK?