GEN 2 How to Remove Easy Fuel Filler Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the bed of my truck so I can install some L-track (L-track - Airline Track Tie Down)

It seems there are four things I need to do, alas I only have an idea how to do three of them:

1. Remove tailgate
2. Disconnect fuel filler from body (help)
3. Disconnect taillight wiring harness
4. Remove the bed bolts

I've googled and searched as best I can (internet autist here), but can't find answers. I think I need to remove the cap around the filler so I can get at the 3 7mm bolts behind it -- just can't figure it out.

y9vjRWpiMidJfwdLJ-iiJy2JXidCOj4oq6oN5KoQelTcR15xA?.jpg

3p8dgjWMTtRJt2g?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--Rob

ASD1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go under the truck and disconnect the rubber hose from the filler neck. THEN UN BOLT THE FILLER NECK FROM THE FRAME. then lift the bed off with it

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine there would be a clamp of some kind under the bedside fender panel that connects the fuel tank filler hose to the fuel cap opening.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed mac's airline tracks in my 2018 Raptor without taking the box off. I had to drill a couple new holes in the track in order to work around the frame supports under the box.

There's plenty of clearance. Be very careful on the driver's side at the front so that you don't drill through the filler tube.

It was a two person job. One on top and one below.

Best.

OP
OP
bradyh20

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing a picture of where you installed them?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mac's VersaTie Track in 18 Raptor

I used three 6' tracks. One kit of two tracks and fittings, plus one additional 6' predrilled track:

Track Kit - Surface Mount, Wide Contour (Series 3) - VersaTie

I added some M10 studs to attach the ARB slider and to attach the second battery behind the fridge.

M10 Threaded Stud

I skipped a hole on each track because the hole ended up right on top of the bed supports, leaving no access from the bottom to attach nuts. I drilled new holes in the track towards the cab end and decided to leave one hole out in the middle of each track.

Since I am OCD I'll go back at some point and either drill new holes or put rivnuts in the positions where the holes are over the supports.

Also on the OCD side...if you use a wide woodworker's countersink 82° Countersink - Lee Valley Tools you'll be able to mark the center of the new hole positions. The countersink that I used is wider than the access holes in the track so it centered for me. Then drill with progressively larger bits.

I installed the first hole at the tailgate end...I positioned the end of the track 5-1/2" from the tailgate end to miss the bed support. This placed that screw hole 6" on center from the tailgate end. Bolt the track down, then put another hole in at the cab end and bolt the track down. I installed the holes at the cab end 6" from the front wall of the bed. This cleared the bed supports at the front.

DRILL THE HOLE IN THE DRIVER'S SIDE CAB END VERY SHALLOW. I didn't and drilled right through the filler tube exactly through the band clamp that holds the tube to the rubber hose. I ordered the part and had the Ford shop do the install. It was a $300 boo boo.

Once you have your track secured at the ends, center punch the other holes. It is important to get these holes right in the center. I've got a set of transfer punches that matched the hole size, centering the position.

Transfer Punch Set - Lee Valley Tools

Then, without removing the track, drill a 1/8" pilot hole exactly in the center of each hole. Remove the track and drill the holes to size. I drilled mine to 5/16" for a small amount of wiggle room. The hardware is 1/4-20 stainless steel. No worries about galvanic corrosion as all of the surfaces are covered in paint.

Pics...not too pretty as they are upside down:

Attachments

• IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
bradyh20

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude - this is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

My install will definitely be cleaner than it would have been thanks to you.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

kpaulson

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the bed of my truck so I can install some L-track (L-track - Airline Track Tie Down)

It seems there are four things I need to do, alas I only have an idea how to do three of them:

1. Remove tailgate
2. Disconnect fuel filler from body (help)
3. Disconnect taillight wiring harness
4. Remove the bed bolts

I've googled and searched as best I can (internet autist here), but can't find answers. I think I need to remove the cap around the filler so I can get at the 3 7mm bolts behind it -- just can't figure it out.

View attachment 284346

View attachment 284347

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--Rob
So does anyone know how to remove that gas cap? I need to remove it to replace the door hinge on my F150