How to Get the Most out of my A/C Seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the F150 forum there is a thread with hundreds if not over a thousand posts regarding the fact that the seat "cooler" does not go up the back of the seat. Ford removed the vent to the seat back causing hot air to come out of the base, hot enough to burn. Someone there 3D printed a sock or something that he sells to make it work on the seat back in addition to the cushion.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooling-seats-issue-tsb-feedback-304154/

Also, on the Porsche forum it's been proven that the seat cooling function does NOT blow air out of the seat holes, but it sucks in. That was shown by a light piece of tissue paper being placed against the seat and it was sucked to the seat, not blown away.

Let me start out by clarifying that there are 2 climate controlled seat systems Ford has used; "Cooled" seats and "Ventilated" seats. Both systems provide heating and cooling to the seat bottoms and backrests. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

The first system used a Thermo-Electric Device (TED) and blower motor assembly. This system was used on 2017 and earlier F-150.
  • Applying voltage to the TED in one direction causes it to heat. Applying voltage polarity in the opposite direction causes the TED to cool. Cabin air is drawn through the blower and distributed to each of the (2) TED modules located in each seat cushion and backrest. The TEDs then heat or cool the incoming air depending on the control switch settings. The air is then directed into the foam pad and manifold where it is distributed along the surface of the cushion and backrest of the seat. In heat mode, the TED can add up to 40-60°C (72-108°F) to the ambient inlet air temperature as it passes over the TED. In cool mode, the TED can remove up to 8°C (14°F) from the ambient air temperature entering the system. If the TED does not receive sufficient airflow due to a restriction, is can inadvertently heat the air instead of cooling it, which will cause an overtemp condition resulting in the seat module setting a DTC and powering down the system. This was a concern on 2015 models for which a TSB (15-0154) was issued to address poor cooling performance from the seat backrests.
In the second, newer system, the seats are "Ventilated". The seat cushion and backrest are each equipped with a blower motor assembly. This system is used on 2018 and later F-150.
  • Each blower motor draws air through the surface of the cushion and backrest through the foam. Once the system is activated, the SCME controls the blower speed dependent on the heated/ventilated seat settings. Since the system doesn't have TEDs, it uses conventional cushion mats to for the heated seat function.
I hope that provides some clarification in regards to how these systems operate. Forums tend to get out of control with people posting inaccurate or false information based on systems they don't even understand.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start out

That was super helpful. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

And to confirm, the three settings for ventilated seats are just fan speed settings. So any differences I notice between the full speed setting from day to day are likely a function of external factors. Correct?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was super helpful. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

And to confirm, the three settings for ventilated seats are just fan speed settings. So any differences I notice between the full speed setting from day to day are likely a function of external factors. Correct?

Correct, the three setting adjust the blower motor fan speed. Since the system draws air in from the seat surface, any differences in feel can be attributed to ambient temperature/humidity. If there are any functionality issues with the system, a DTC will set which can be retrieved with IDS or ForScan.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, the three setting adjust the blower motor fan speed. Since the system draws air in from the seat surface, any differences in feel can be attributed to ambient temperature/humidity. If there are any functionality issues with the system, a DTC will set which can be retrieved with IDS or ForScan.
So my 2017 has actually cooled seats?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, your truck has the TED setup. With adequate airflow, the TEDs are very effective at dropping the air discharge temperature.
I thought they worked very well this past summer. I wondered what everyone was complaining about. They’re just stuck with newer trucks.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so fords tech gets worst the newer it is .sounds like the ted seats r really heated and cooled .

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought they worked very well this past summer. I wondered what everyone was complaining about. They’re just stuck with newer trucks.

Haha well that's one way to put it, the issue with the TED system is that if there is a lack of airflow for any reason, such as people not changing the filters (nobody does) or compromising the system due to over-compression of the seat cushions ("large" individuals), they overheat and shut down. Hence the change to the less complex blower motor system. Both work effectively, but only the TED system truly cools the air.