How to drive your Gen 1 in the snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For just getting somewhere? 2wd, no locker, traction control in sport to allow some wheel slip, will help eject snow pack and keep the engine from bogging too bad. Pop it into 4 if you get stuck, locker can help dig you out if your real stuck. The locker can cause you to push through a turn because the rear wheels are trying to push the truck straight at all times, can also cause the back end to get a lot looser than you want. Open diff is really ideal in the snow for driving around. If you have a 13/14 the torsion front can be a real pain in the snow in 4wd, truck going to want to go straight any time your under power.

4wd will often cause drivers to get over confident, forgetting the road is slick and losing touch with the road surface. Much easier to tell how slick things are in 2wd.

Fun mode? 2wd, locker, TCS off.

In a hurry? Leave it parked and calm the **** down.
Thanks! Torsion front end on 2013 and 2014? I’m not familiar. I have a 2011 gen 1. Didn’t realize they had differences in the gen 1’s. Obviously still learning.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Working on it on a 14 year old video editing station that used to be bad ass. Still blows most computers away at most stuff, but takes forever on other stuff. The little spinning wheel makes me want to throw it through the wall. Just can't justify spending any more money on computers.

Now a friend called me as I am typing this and needs me to pull him out of a ditch. Fyi, of me and all my friends, I am the smart one. I don't end up in ditches.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Just got back. Video is done processing, uploaded to BoobTube, now waiting for it to convert my HD video to some SD garbage before it will let me watch it. Will have it embedded here shortly. FYI, it is NOTHING FANCY. No audio either. I set my dashcam not to record audio, it's cleaner that way.

@%#&&!!!!

Just got the BoobTube warning - Your video is longer than 15 minutes, can not process untill you verify account (did that 5 years ago!) Scan retina, insert stool sample, stand on head while chewing gum, etc.

I am re-uploading. This is why I hate technology any more.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1) Stop signs are painted red because you're suppose to stop on those, I see you and some other driver didn't know that, lol.
2) What's with the kids being so polite in your neighborhood, damn, out here they wouldn't move off the road even if you laid on the horn, their Mama's would come running out "don't you do that to my kids!!!".
3) looks like pretty wet snow, slippery stuff!